• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Beaver Creek, CO Jan 16-18

Amie H

Angel Diva
I was supposed to be in Tahoe this weekend but when that trip was cancelled, I pivoted to return to Beaver Creek, which I enjoyed last year. I was able to book the same lodging as last year via Hotwire.
I live 15-20 minutes from O'hare and was able to book a nonstop flight for Sunday morning ORD--> EGE (Vail) for a handful of airline miles. The flight arrived on time at 11am MST, my EPIC Mountain Express van was waiting for me outside bag claim.

I was able to check in to my hotel (Pines Lodge) early, and was on the snow a little after 1PM MST!

I headed right to the new McCoy Park ski area. Last year I snowshoed in this area. You can still snowshoe or Nordic ski there but this bowl has been transformed, with 2 new lifts (McCoy Park Express and Reunion) and a number of wide-open green and blue runs with structural variety such as "beginner" glades, undulating hills, etc. Based on my own experience and in talking to other enthusiastic users on the McCoy Express lift, this area is fantastic for 1) skiing with young children 2) novices looking to gain confidence/practice 3) folks like myself coming off sports injury 4) and, what one dad told me, "This is a fun place to PLAY!"
From McCoy Park, it was easy enough to make my way to the trails leading to the skiway back to my resort.

I skied this area again today, then headed over toward Bachelor Gulch for a beverage and bathroom break. Then more fun back in McCoy Park, trying out a gladed run without busting my bucket! Instead of following the trails to the skiway back at day's end, instead I took the looooooong way around on BC Express-->Larkspur-->and over past Grouse Mountain, the Birds of Prey chair area, etc. Continued over to BC Village, and tried my best to skate back to the skiway but had to hike from the Nordic ski center office uphill and then poling/skating to the hotel. After all that effort (and a personal best in recent years for hours on the snow) I was thrilled to discover that NO ONE was in the hot tub pool area when I returned. I stored my skis and boots, hustled to my room, shimmied into my swimsuit and had the whole pool area to myself. Ahhhhhh!!!

Because I'm a solo traveler AND not keen to dine-in bc of Covid, I brought homemade foods that I froze in plastic vacuum-sealed bags. I have a little "mess kit" I bring everywhere w utensils, folding bowl, etc. I enjoy eating a delicious, hot, and healthful meal in my room (my room here has fridge and microwave) while relaxing in my jammies and watching a movie!

Tomorrow, I may try out Centennial Chair to the Red Buffalo area, but if it's crowded, I'll gladly take Strawberry Park over to McCoy Park, Bachelor Gulch, and Arrowhead areas for the day.

Although no recent snow here, conditions have been terrific bc they are meticulous w grooming. Temps by mid-morning have been in the high 20s to mid-30s.

Here's a snippet of what I was doing after getting off the plane and changing into my gear.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Oh so gorgeous!! Enjoy every minute and swoosh!! Fabulous video…so calming and splendid!! I skied Beaver Creek just once and now you’re making me want to go back. I love that you travel alone… wish I did that before I got married and had my sons. Don’t get me wrong - I’m happy to have all my boys!! But it sure would be nice to not worry, help buckle, then unbuckle, pull off, put back on, find missing gloves, find missing gear, fix stuck zippers, scream “WAIT FOR ME!!” or “WATCH OUT FOR THAT PATCH OF ICE!!”… and a million other shenanigans!! Have a wonderful time!! #skienvy

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Amie H , I love everything about this! Am also mostly a solo traveler type, so bookmarking trip report and smart food strategies. Enjoy the rest of the trip!
Thanks for the comment! My sisters asked me for meal pics. Here's what I put togther each night thus far:
SUNDAY:Dinner of chicken breast in white wine sauce & multigrain/rice mix, Cabernet, Cheeze-its, dried apricots & cherries, oreo.
20220116_182348.jpg

Dinner tonight: Jose Cuervo margarita, basmati rice, black beans in sofrito, turkey & veggie taco filling.

Attachments

• 20220117_164757.jpg
    20220117_164757.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 11

Amie H

Angel Diva
Oh so gorgeous!! Enjoy every minute and swoosh!! Fabulous video…so calming and splendid!! I skied Beaver Creek just once and now you’re making me want to go back. I love that you travel alone… wish I did that before I got married and had my sons. Don’t get me wrong - I’m happy to have all my boys!! But it sure would be nice to not worry, help buckle, then unbuckle, pull off, put back on, find missing gloves, find missing gear, fix stuck zippers, scream “WAIT FOR ME!!” or “WATCH OUT FOR THAT PATCH OF ICE!!”… and a million other shenanigans!! Have a wonderful time!! #skienvy
Tbh, my husband and kid never wanted to learn so I was on skiing hiatus for many years. I only restarted circa 2016, I think. But now as an empty nester, working a job I can sometimes do remotely, it's enabled me to have the time, $, and lack of parenting obligations to travel more.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Thanks for the comment! My sisters asked me for meal pics. Here's what I put togther each night thus far:
SUNDAY:Dinner of chicken breast in white wine sauce & multigrain/rice mix, Cabernet, Cheeze-its, dried apricots & cherries, oreo.
View attachment 17563

Dinner tonight: Jose Cuervo margarita, basmati rice, black beans in sofrito, turkey & veggie taco filling.
Tomorrow my menu is tomato soup w rice, lemonade or green tea, more cheeze-its & dried fruit, and possibly a to-go salad from the restaurant in my hotel.

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
How is the restaurant in your hotel, and are you easy walking distance from the village? (Filing all the info away for a post-COVID trip at some point).

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Tbh, my husband and kid never wanted to learn so I was on skiing hiatus for many years. I only restarted circa 2016, I think. But now as an empty nester, working a job I can sometimes do remotely, it's enabled me to have the time, $, and lack of parenting obligations to travel more.
Enjoy every minute!! You deserve it!! ⛷❤️

Amie H

Angel Diva
How is the restaurant in your hotel, and are you easy walking distance from the village? (Filing all the info away for a post-COVID trip at some point).
It is reputed to be top shelf, but not really the food I care to eat (heavy $50 + cuts of meat, etc.) I got to go soup and dessert from there last year and it was tasty. I also ordered food delivery to the hotel last year via Instacart. There is a free shuttle to the village so that's an option, too. I promised my hubby I'd not do any dine-in (he is extremely covid-cautious) but I hardly suffering for honoring my promise! I love to cook and, to be honest, I think I like my cooking better than most restaurants.

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
It looks like your cooking IS better than most restaurants! Thx for the info :smile:

Also, KimarieSnow, from what I've read, it seems many Divas have figured out how to re-engage with regular skiing at various stages of parenting, and I hope for you the same!

Christy

Angel Diva
Your meal solution (and little kit!) is ingenious. I travel to remote places without good food options and I never thought of that.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Your meal solution (and little kit!) is ingenious. I travel to remote places without good food options and I never thought of that.
I have a (poorly filmed - was experimenting w a tripod) video where I showed some of the items I put in my little kit. I may have posted it here before but here's an idea, easily customizable!

Clever! It looks really pretty there, I'm going to Beaver Creek for the first time in March, really looking forward to it. How are crowds/lift lines on weekdays?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Clever! It looks really pretty there, I'm going to Beaver Creek for the first time in March, really looking forward to it. How are crowds/lift lines on weekdays?
I can tell you that Sunday of MLK weekend in the afternoon lines were light, yesterday lines were light, today lines were non-existent!
I was told by others that Saturday was crowded but that's why I always try to avoid Saturdays ANYWHERE.

Good to know, I do NOT ski anywhere on Saturdays and only at my local mountain on Sundays until it gets crowded. Lines and collissions are not my jam. I'm at BC Monday through Thursday but it is CO college vacation week. Hoping the "kids" are more interested in other mountains as BC doesn't have that yo let's huck vibe. And lodging can be expensive.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Good to know, I do NOT ski anywhere on Saturdays and only at my local mountain on Sundays until it gets crowded. Lines and collissions are not my jam. I'm at BC Monday through Thursday but it is CO college vacation week. Hoping the "kids" are more interested in other mountains as BC doesn't have that yo let's huck vibe. And lodging can be expensive.
You are totally right. I was just thinking that, while sitting in the hot tub chatting w other middle-aged folks ! Middle aged, and ppl w young kids seems like the demographic here. Fine by me!

I remember grad school Spring break in the mid 1990s, partying until the wee hours w my friend in a packed Breckenridge bar of 20-somethings.
Now, I'm having a cup of green tea after hot tub & steam, and chatting with a few other ppl. I think for where I am right now, this is a comfortable place for me to both ski & hang out.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Final ski day for me today. Never made it over to Red Buffalo area. Instead I toodled around Larkspur, McCoy, and Bachelor Gulch.

You can see from the videos I posted on YouTube, it was pretty empty so it allowed for lots of laps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna