• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Banff 2022

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And I live in the "west" and have been traveling to ski since the mid 80's.....

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I don't really take ski trips since I moved to Boulder, but you all are really making me want to go to Banff. What a gorgeous area.
Notwithstanding my excellent host in Summit County, I do loooooove Banff much more than the Front Range. And shoulder season skiing here is awesome.
9166FA1F-A137-4F64-9825-007A9238A256.jpeg
7A9F6CA5-8853-4B18-9CC2-57B13FC707C0.jpeg
(Mom having the time of her life at the top of Lake Louise gondola)
E818F475-5511-446A-A435-D5C1CF1C338C.jpeg

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Looks amazing! I now have a new “must see” resort added to my list.
Any thoughts on a car-free trip to Banff? I’ve found information about the airport shuttles from Calgary and ski shuttles from Banff to Sunshine/Louise. I’m just wondering how enjoyable this would be. In my experiences, some ski areas are car-free bliss (e.g. Aspen) while at others are better experienced with a car.

Jilly

Staff member
September is great. I was out in early October for a wedding back in 2019. You needed a down sweater where Mama @ilovepugs is standing in that picture. The Aspen were just starting to turn.

I'm in Florida right now and we were all excited to see dolphins today. The locals are are like...what? But then like @Jenny , they haven't seen moose or bears and we have.

@ilovepugs - take Mom to tea at the Banff Springs!!

As for transportation - Brewster is the bus that runs to Canmore and Banff from Calgary Airport. Once in Banff, depending on where you stay, you can walk to mostly everything in town. Skiing you will need the local shuttles. Very easy really.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Any thoughts on a car-free trip to Banff? I’ve found information about the airport shuttles from Calgary and ski shuttles from Banff to Sunshine/Louise. I’m just wondering how enjoyable this would be. In my experiences, some ski areas are car-free bliss (e.g. Aspen) while at others are better experienced with a car.
I think car free is totally doable and probably preferable in-ski-season either staying in Canmore (lots of rental condos), in Banff or at Lake Louise. With the shoulder season, not as easy because shuttles seem to be pretty infrequent. In-ski-season, I think that all of the random side adventures that our group has had may be less accessible given road conditions, although I’m not certain.

Next year during the week of Diva West, Dr. Pugs has a conference at Lake Louise. I’ve never been to Taos, but since his work is paying for accommodations at the Chateau Fairmont at Lake Louise, I think it’s a no-brainer to tag along.

On the ski trip report piece… Dr Pugs and Mr Jenny egged me (and Jenny) into going down a black diamond run with lil bumps on it. This was after Jenny accidentally tricked me into going down a different black diamond groomer. I made it in one piece, woohoo!!!! Way to send off the ski season! :yahoo:

…. I think my skiing may be starting to catch up with my snowboarding, although it’s maybe not as automatic yet.

57F44EE6-DF92-4BE9-A39B-8BB2A23BCDF9.jpeg
711E80EC-A43C-4DF2-994B-822BCA27D6E1.jpeg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had a massage at the Banff Springs Hotel after a day of skiing. Lovely!

Jenny

Angel Diva
We've done car-free twice and it works just fine. You just don’t have the option to go exploring is all. But the shuttle from the airport to Banff is easy, and the shuttles from Banff to the mountains are easy, too. Late season, the schedule changes and there aren’t nearly as many of them, either.

Overall, I think I like having the car better, but only because then I don’t have to pay attention to schedules.

Jenny

Angel Diva
On the ski trip report piece… Dr Pugs and Mr Jenny egged me (and Jenny) into going down a black diamond run with lil bumps on it. This was after Jenny accidentally tricked me into going down a different black diamond groomer.
“Tricked” is an ugly word - I didn’t realize you were following me. And as I recall it, it was peer pressure from you that made me go down the scraped up bump run! I was still 50/50 on stepping it back up to the other run when you committed, lol!

It was actually all fine, and rather a success for us both. We’d been down that particular run a couple of times on Wednesday, when the bumps were soft and plentiful, but I think @ilovepugs was on her snowboard then, and today she was on skis. I will say, despite my misgivings today, I think I’ve actually learned something about the bumps, because I did turn and stop where I planned to, the whole way down, and there was no skittering fast all the way over to the other side of the run before I could stop, all the while chanting obscenities.

Two Divas!
F31AE3DB-49EB-49A7-8111-BE9AA98F8FEA.jpeg

Two Diva Dudes!
DDFEDE47-1CF4-4B97-8E29-CCC0B7F1E822.jpeg

Me and Mr. Jenny on the final ride down from the mountain on our final day of the 2021-2022 season. We look happy, because this was a great week, but inside we were a little bit sad.
6DC73A55-4AAA-4D0B-833C-A07770A3FCE1.jpeg

Just a short walk from the condo in Canmore.
1291778F-C58B-4707-B264-494B214B0EFA.jpeg

There has been much discussion about both off-ski-season trips to Banff, and making this an annual event.

What a way to end the season!

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Such beautiful photos! It was a real pleasure reading about your trip. I had a crap week but every time I looked onto the Ski Diva I couldn’t help but smile. And thank you sharing your thoughts about a car-free trip. I’m a nervous Nellie when it comes to driving on icy mountain roads.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Such beautiful photos! It was a real pleasure reading about your trip. I had a crap week but every time I looked onto the Ski Diva I couldn’t help but smile. And thank you sharing your thoughts about a car-free trip. I’m a nervous Nellie when it comes to driving on icy mountain roads.
At this time of year, the roads are clear, and uncleared roads are closed. Easy peasy. Agree that rental cars in the winter without proper snow tires can be scary!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
“Tricked” is an ugly word - I didn’t realize you were following me. And as I recall it, it was peer pressure from you that made me go down the scraped up bump run! I was still 50/50 on stepping it back up to the other run when you committed, lol!
That’s why I said you “accidentally” tricked me, haha! I thought we were sticking together. NBD and I clearly made it down that run with aplomb.

I take no responsibility for the so-called peer pressure… I trust that you are capable of making your own comfort and risk assessment. And you totally kicked ass, so whatevs. :beer:

Christy

Angel Diva
At this time of year, the roads are clear, and uncleared roads are closed. Easy peasy. Agree that rental cars in the winter without proper snow tires can be scary!
When I went a few years ago they asked if I wanted to upgrade to a car with snow tires, so that's an option.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We had a RAV4 this time, AWD, and no chain anxiety at this time of year.

Also, @Jilly - I'd have been just as excited to see dolphins as I was a bear.

Jenny

Angel Diva
That’s why I said you “accidentally” tricked me, haha! I thought we were sticking together. NBD and I clearly made it down that run with aplomb.

I take no responsibility for the so-called peer pressure… I trust that you are capable of making your own comfort and risk assessment. And you totally kicked ass, so whatevs. :beer:
:thumbsup:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Glad we could help brighten your week!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna