• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Balance and Rotation- recommendations?

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, all.

Any recommendations on x-training activities to do in the off-season that might improve one's balance and/or rotation?

I've thought about gymnastics, but I don't know where I'd start. Something tells me that if I'm doing it on skis but am scared to death to do it on a trampoline, that's a bad sign... :/

I practice yoga and I've heard this is good for your core, but I think I'm getting weak and chubby nonetheless!

I'd especially be interested to hear what hard-core ski bums or freeride-style chicas who ski 100+ days a year do when they can't be on the slopes.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

altagirl

Staff member
Do another sport in summer that uses similar muscles and movements - like mountain biking. Ride technical trails and practice picking your line and looking ahead and that kind of thing definitely crosses over and helps with skiing.

You could spend your summer in the gym just doing balance work on swiss balls and cardio and core work but that would bore me to death...

abc

Banned
Heh, I used to be and now I'm a 100+ day biker instead... ;)
You know, you make me feel much better for never becoming a 100+ day skier...

I was already a 100+ day biker before I even learn to ski! So it's really a lost cause.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, cycling, both road and mountain are probably your best bet along with some balance/core work using swiss balls and balance boards will help. Pilates and/or yoga would likely be good as well.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ditto on biking.

Trail running----hills, the up really works the legs/glutes and cardio, the down really helps with balance.

abc

Banned
I've thought about gymnastics, but I don't know where I'd start.
Actually that's an issue that puzzles me for a while now: why are some sports we do as kid become such no-no's when we become adults?

I can see SOME of the reason: we don't heal as fast when we crash. And I can understand many people lose the urge to climb trees! But I can't believe EVERYONE lose their urge to climb trees, or take jumps on their BMX bikes?

There're a lot of sport that would help balance and space awareness. Gymnastic, diving, skateboarding... I bet a few spin on the balance beam or a couple of giant swings on the un-even bar would do wonder on the balance of even adult! But how to get access to coaching as an adult would be interesting.

Anyway, I think finding a trampoline might be what you REALLY should do!:smile: Or, bungee jumping? :wink:

altagirl

Staff member
It's funny - there are days where my friends and I go to the dirt jumps and the adult women (I'm 35) outnumber the kids there. We just jump on mountain bikes. But I do know lots of adults who race BMX. They keep bugging me to go but I don't have time in my schedule to add in, what, a 5th bike discipline.

But go for it - gymnastics, bmx, whatever appeals to you. It keeps you young. :smile:

abc

Banned
Well, 10 years ago, my mtn biking buddy and I looked for places to fool around with BMX, besides street corners that is, without too much luck. She's now living in Utah (PC), I hope she has better luck there...

Fast forward 5 years and I was in California. A BMX shop openned up down the street so I went in. The owner was very friendly but he did tell me it's not often he got a woman in the shop who's looking for a bike that's NOT for her son!

Anyway he told me where the nearest BMX park was. Since it's on the way to and from work of my girl friend so she kept an eye on who's there most days. There were but all kids! Eventually we did meet other mountain biking women who want to do the same thing so we tried making plans to work together. Except we live all over the Bay Area and it really wasn't all that pratical to get together anyway...

In any case, I ended up moving back to New York and had to start from scratch again. Last summer, I did go to the local BMX track but again, there were only kids there.

At work, I'm working with "kids" of 20's and 30's. So it doesn't feel at all strange to "feel young". But sharing BMX tracks with teenagers is still an unfamiliar experience for me...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna