• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpacks and Skiing

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok ladies this is a strange one, to me any way. Let me paint the picture, we over here in NZ are enjoying some fantastic spring skiing and with that comes the odd little trip into the slack country. So today instead of slinging my ski's over my shoulder (which face it does hurt after a while) for the hike I put on my very small very light backpack that has the ability to easily carry my ski's. Long story short I didnt end up hiking for it but stayed skiing inbounds, but I did think that skiing with the very small very light backpack improved my skiing !!! I felt that I was definitely further forward over my ski's and its not the first time I've encountered this. Maybe it was because I was compensating for the extra weight even though is wasnt much. I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced this x

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting.

I have a small 9L backpack that I've been using for resort skiing for quite a while. I don't think it improves my stance. But it also doesn't hurt it either. I never use a backpack for lessons because I know the Level 3 instructors (Alta, Bridger Bowl) that I worked with the first few years I was taking lessons frowned on having a backpack of any kind.

Taos is the only destination resort where there have been a few times that I wanted to have a backpack with the ski carry feature during a lesson. I have the smallest Heli-pack. Needless to say, the instructor I was working with didn't care either way. Most of the time I just use the Mountain Goat carry strap given the way Taos is set up. I'm usually ending up at the main base at lunch time.

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just be careful with any straps and remove riding the lift! I haven't gotten a bag caught, but I did get a jacket caught during spring skiing last season and well.. let's just say it was a terrifying experience that I will be much more cognizant of going forward with anything strapped to me on a lift. You don't want to experience it. :smile:

I also have never found a stance benefit to wearing a pack and only really do out West to keep water and extra layers with me if I'll be further away from the main base area. I always feel better coming home and skiing without a backpack afterward actually haha.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh I've experienced it :laughter:We ride T bars at our local field and I got caught up and slung sideways when trying to dismount earlier this season when the back pocket zip on my pants came undone and the end of the T got caught in it !!! I've also had the pleasure of seeing my son go round the bull wheel when he was about 4yrs old and his jacket got caught and as he was so small he got suspended and missed the trip wire, I was riding the lift behind him with a patroller and we couldnt believe what was happening so we stopped the lift and gathered him up ....the joys of riding lifts with or without backpacks:laughter:PS I stitched up that damn zip !!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Haha well I wouldn’t have thought about getting caught on a t-bar. I’ll have to be careful of that too! Glad you and your son are okay in these events!!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's interesting that your experience was being more forward with a pack on - it often has the opposite effect. Maybe it's because you know that you have to be forward? I often ski with a pack on (backcountry), and have to be more conscious about being forward. :noidea:

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's interesting that your experience was being more forward with a pack on - it often has the opposite effect. Maybe it's because you know that you have to be forward? I often ski with a pack on (backcountry), and have to be more conscious about being forward. :noidea:

Oh my goodness, was I ever aware of the weight on my back skiing during my AIARE class last season. It’s definitely different with that much weight, versus in resort where (usually?) it wouldn’t be so heavy. It was especially interesting on day 1 because there were all moguls on a powder day on parts of the Sherburne. I hadn’t expected enough traffic in the backcountry to form rather large moguls! They were actually really fun though, I just had to keep making sure I got forward with the weight on my back and was so thankful for how much I practiced moguls in my AT setup beforehand in resort to break things in lol.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thats what I'm thinking, having to be more conscious of being forward to counteract the weight:noidea:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@AJM I like skiing with a small back pack, and I actually feel better in my AT set up with my full back pack.
Just feels "right."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly