• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpacking with kids to Elk Lakes

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
e743b52549ce49ba295f8099dafef87e.jpg
39c5478cf4f692c61e358241910ee49b.jpg
28d4b29eb2924efd6d169266e613f15e.jpg
c4b0f2a4b0fd15129ae5bdfe2882a144.jpg
296a80346c8d25f79cfbdfbd883d61c1.jpg

cd903f1ea65ebca2623534dc0f386167.jpg
6b534af6abc6742805773170bf3f41bb.jpg

So my darling SO and I decided to take the preteen DS and DD for their first real backpacking trip this summer. In the last week of August, we packed ourselves up, took along two friends and three other preteens, and hiked in 11 km to the alpine club of Canada's Elk Lakes hut in BC. We parked the car in peter lougheed provincial park in Alberta, crossed the continental divide, and ended up in British Columbia. We stayed three days, and hiked back out. It was wonderful! All of the kids were troopers, we had an amazing time at the hut, ran in (and out) beautiful glacial lakes, and spent a lot of time hiking and eating smores. Yay!!!

Next up: we're going to do this trip in winter on snowshoes.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You should have waved, that's home for me!! Also, good timing to beat the snow. Though I personally find the mountains more stunning with a skiff on them...just wasn't ready for it yesterday!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
You should have waved, that's home for me!! Also, good timing to beat the snow. Though I personally find the mountains more stunning with a skiff on them...just wasn't ready for it yesterday!

Definitely thought of you! It was good timing - but it was still below 0 at night - we woke up to frost each of the mornings we were there. I even had to get up in the middle of the night once to get the fire going again. I had never been to Elk Lakes before - its just amazing. Can't wait to go back. I still don't feel mentally ready for the snow. My pocketbook doesn't feel it either - I just bought a set of winter tires for my new car. Oh well...

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
So beautiful! We were there this winter - came from the Kananaskis side. It was the first time we were at Elk Lakes over winter and it was beautiful! Stayed at the hut for 2 nights, did lots of fun sledding, skiing and snowball flights with the kids.

We're thinking about another backpacking there next summer!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly