• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

BackpackGearTest

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think this is against forum policies, so I'm going to run with it...

For a number of years I have been a member of BackpackGearTest.org, which is an independent site for testing backpacking gear. We aren't tied to any particular manufacturers, we test with anyone who'd like us to, including many small or new manufacturers.

Tests run for 4 months and require testers to write 2 or 3 reports (depends on the item - smaller items are 2, larger items are 3) over that period. The standard minimum test requirement is 5 nights of backpacking with the item, though some items we test have modified requirements. Day-hiking packs, for example, don't have overnight requirements. At the conclusion of the test, the items are the testers' to keep.

We are always looking for more testers. Interested testers must write two reports ("Owner Reviews") about things that they already own before being accepted into the testing pool. It's not as hard as it sounds!

If this sounds interesting to you, feel free to give me a shout! Check out the site and our reviews. All of mine live here: Andrea's reports

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What if we hike, but don't do overnights?

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey @Ringrat . I'd be interested in testing. I'm in Canada, if that's good. I didn't do any thru hikes this year due to snow/high water/fires but did do several weekend trips- Lake O'Hara, Robson, Cathedral. I always carry my full pack, even on dayhikes (with stuff thrown in) so that I'm ready for full weight (~25-28). I have a Deuter 45+10 ACT SL but am interested in trying some different packs and am thinking about a HMG 3400, ZPacks Haul or Gossamer Gear 60.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Deuter 45+10 ACT SL but am interested in trying some different packs and am thinking about a HMG 3400, ZPacks Haul or Gossamer Gear 60.

If you haven't checked out any of the ULA packs already, I recommend giving them a try. I have the Circuit and love it; the Circuit replaced my Deuter, which is a bomber pack, but weighed just over five pounds empty.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you haven't checked out any of the ULA packs already, I recommend giving them a try. I have the Circuit and love it; the Circuit replaced my Deuter, which is a bomber pack, but weighed just over five pounds empty.
Thanks, yeah I should have put the ULA Circuit on the list too. I think it's the best price as well. ~41 ounces +5-10L to my 45+10 that is 52 oz . It's a bummer that there just aren't any of these packs to try in my area but I'm guessing I'll be able to re-sell if something doesn't work.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally missed the earlier responses to this thread!

What if we hike, but don't do overnights?

It's probably not worth it. Most of our tests require overnights.

Hey @Ringrat . I'd be interested in testing. I'm in Canada, if that's good. I didn't do any thru hikes this year due to snow/high water/fires but did do several weekend trips- Lake O'Hara, Robson, Cathedral. I always carry my full pack, even on dayhikes (with stuff thrown in) so that I'm ready for full weight (~25-28). I have a Deuter 45+10 ACT SL but am interested in trying some different packs and am thinking about a HMG 3400, ZPacks Haul or Gossamer Gear 60.

Great! Being in Canada isn't a problem. There are 6 Canadian testers right now, I think. I'm en route to Nepal right now, so can't offer you much help for he next few weeks with getting started, but have a look at the site and I can answer any questions when I'm home. Winter is a good time to write Owner Reviews!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly