• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Backpack choice

newboots

Angel Diva
IMG_0614.jpg Hello, oh fonts of wisdom!

My BF and I are going hiking in the White Mountains at the end of October. Day hiking. He says we need bigger packs than our little day packs, because of the possible (likely) weather changes, necessitating several possible changes of clothes.

I'm not in a position to spend $$$ right now. What if I buy a used pack from eBay, or Craigslist? Do I need something fitted to my body? Can I check STP/Moosejaw/Salvation Army, or do I need to go to a shop and get something that fits well?

What should I look for in a pack? My personal requirement is: lightweight! And it has to have a compartment for my dog. But he will ride anywhere happily.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, and I have a very short torso. I'm a little over 5'4", but it's mostly legs.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG, the dog! So cute!
(Shoot, I just gave away some back packs, but I'm about the size of an adult manatee so they wouldn't have fit you, anyway :becky:).

You do need to be prepared to avoid hypothermia in the Whites, especially in October. I would even bring a small free-standing tent and sleeping bag or bivvy sack in the event that an injury or illness forced me or my hiking partner to stay put for any length of time. And that can happen more quickly than you might think. Hand warmers are good to have, too. You can put them under an injured (and hopefully bundled-up) person's armpits and around their groin area and feet to help keep them warm.

Check out a book called Not Without Peril by Nicholas Howe if you doubt the ability of the Whites to turn a day hike deadly.

If you and your partner can split the gear, you shouldn't need a massive pack; but if you can get something with a decent hip-belt that distributes the weight off your shoulders and rests it on your hips, you will have a much better day.

My daypack is a Gregory Jade 35, which is a great size for a serious day hike and really well-designed and comfortable. REI, LL Bean, et al. make very good quality packs for less money than the big outdoor brands. Any company that sells backpacks should have sizing info on their web page, which will let you measure your torso and select the right size. It's not as foolproof as getting fitted in-store, but also less crucial with a daypack as opposed to a multi-day pack.

I hope that helps a bit and that you have a wonderful trip!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a 40L I was going to donate ... pristine, nothing wrong with it - I just like a mesh external compartment on the back, and there isn't one.

Although, I should note that I require that so I don't have to stash dog poop in my pack.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have a 40L I was going to donate ... pristine, nothing wrong with it - I just like a mesh external compartment on the back, and there isn't one.

Although, I should note that I require that so I don't have to stash dog poop in my pack.

Good idea! I should bring something for that purpose!

A 40L is the capacity, right? Do you know the size? It looks like I may need a small or extra small depending on the brand. (tiny torso)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good idea! I should bring something for that purpose!

A 40L is the capacity, right? Do you know the size? It looks like I may need a small or extra small depending on the brand. (tiny torso)

I'll see if I can find out - I believe it's a women's.

newboots

Angel Diva
@SallyCat - Don't worry, I'm a believer! I was actually reading this thread:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-mount-washington-kills.20832/

when I was looking for the right forum to post this question in. I've heard the stories about Mt. Washington, and admonished non-hiker tourists who set off in shorts and a t-shirt. As @elemmac described in that thread, she was up there in August and it started to snow. The thing that outrages me the most is that first responders/rescue people risk their lives to save these airheads.

Your advice is well-taken, though! Thanks!

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, sorry!! Preaching to the converted!

No apologies necessary - you have helped me think through what's important to pack. I have plenty of Hot Hands at home that it would sure be a shame not to have in the backpack! And we will figure out the sleeping bag/other warming thingy, too, at your urging.

Hallelujah! Amen.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
like the Mt Washington post says, definitely postpone the hike if the weather doesn't look like it's shaping up. i went for a long weekend looking to hike the 3 days i had available to me. due to the weather, i only got one day of hiking (but very grateful for that day) while the other two were washouts due to the weather. and that was in late Aug/early Sep, and i imagine Oct is worse, but then again you never know - you could absolutely luck out. but maybe set aside multiple days with the anticipation that there could be weather related issues - if this hike is what you want to do.

enjoy the hike!

i have a day hike pack from Osprey that i used at the time (it looks to be smallish around 15L) and i was able to carry all my extra layers there, my daughters layers, including hats and gloves, and trekking poles as well as two large nalgenes. my daughter also had her own pack (maybe 10L) which just contained her water for the most part, and my husband ended up carrying all the food, his water, and extra water - in addition to his layers in a 40L Osprey pack - which was the heaviest load of all 3 of us.

but if i had to carry a bivvy sack i would carry my MEC bag (which is very lightweight) that has a hip strap - it's the 75L Aurora. i chose it b/c of the great pocket compartments and that it was considerably less weight than the Deuter I was looking at. i wouldn't use all the space and i can strap some of the excess down which is nice and have it be slimmer profile-wise. but b/c of the weight i carry with that, it does make for a slower hike for sure. i would not consider doing that with my daughter but that's probably what i'd use if she weren't hiking with us.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No apologies necessary - you have helped me think through what's important to pack. I have plenty of Hot Hands at home that it would sure be a shame not to have in the backpack! And we will figure out the sleeping bag/other warming thingy, too, at your urging.

Hallelujah! Amen.

A reflective blanket is maybe 3"x1"x1" packed up. Maybe not enough warmth for an overnight, but it would be helpful in case of injury - injured people get cold fast, especially sitting/lying on the ground. In fact, you could put it under the person.

You do have to balance the likelihood of an incident vs the amount of weight/bulk you end up packing. Ultimately the best safety device is your head - be thoughtful and aware, and keep your ego in check.

I like a sign I've seen at a ski resort - I think it was Breck - "Play it safe; play all season!"

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, also, if you are going to be doing a lot of this - I just bought a Garmin InReach with the recreational plan. It is absolutely not cheap, but it's essentially a satellite texting device with an SOS button. You can send text messages to regular phones, as well as sending to emails and allowing people to track you online via a map. The device was $450 with a $27ish/month plan. It also doubles as a GPS device.

It's expensive, but I'm by myself a lot and don't always have reception. There have been times when my husband was concerned because it was still dark, and I had no way to communicate with him.

newboots

Angel Diva
FYI, friends, I'm not planning to do Mt. Washington! We are looking at some 2-5 hour hikes. There are lots of great hikes up there! We've looked at the Georgiana and Harvard Falls Trail, the Flume Gorge (which scarcely counts as a hike), Whitehorse Trail and along the AT to Mount Liberty, in dry weather (fingers crossed) starting with Falling Waters trail and heading up to one or more of those peaks (Haystack, Mt. Lincoln, maybe Lafayette). Like that.

Monique - that's a great idea - better safe than sorry. For this trip, Frank has a motorcycle GPS that has reception most places, maps, all sorts of fancy stuff. Your device sounds much more comprehensive.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots - This is the pack. Mine is more of a dark blue / grey deal. It is women's specific, but only comes in one size. Given your concerns about torso length, it's probably not worth shipping to you to see if it fits. I can donate it to outdoor organizations around here, or there's apparently a gear swap coming up.

https://www.rei.com/product/780625/kelty-redwing-2500-pack-womens

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, on paper, I was on the short end of the XS of the pack I bought a few weeks ago. Both the XS and the S were workable, but the salesperson and I decided the S (ie, the one that was absolutely not right for me on paper) fit better.

But REI has a good return policy, so you might as well see if "on paper" is correct.

By the way, I find it kinda ridiculous that the women's pack I bought comes in two sizes - XS and S.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree - after doing some research online, my size is a women's XS (in most brands). I think I have the torso of a 10-year-old.

I've discovered this at the REI Garage:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/111345/gregory-j-38-pack-womens

It comes in an XS, and with some coupon or another my price would be $113. In purple. I think I'll go for it.

Thats a good pack. I have it as my trad climbing pack and it has lasted ages. Like, 7 years of heavy use and abuse. Love the air mesh back.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am (generally) an over-planner / over preparer and hate the should have syndrome (which always happens anyway with most incidents) so I carry weight in my pack whenever I go on a hike. The day hike weight just helps keep me ready for backpacking anyway. Carrying weight without any practice (looks like you have dog weight practice already) is a big mistake, even if you hike already.

Here's the classic list: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html

I always take a garbage bag and/or pack cover, rain gear (when rain is remotely even possible) as rain can make things go bad quickly if something bad happens. I would never go without a cell (I see people leave them in their vehicles all the time). I also have an InReach but recognize that's not something many casual short hikers have. For bigger trips/extra cautious people I believe you can rent them.

Appropriate footwear is important as well.

Keep the pup close.

p.s. I have a short torso and love my Deuter pack.

newboots

Angel Diva
Carrying weight without any practice (looks like you have dog weight practice already) is a big mistake, even if you hike already.

Good advice! The doglet only weighs six pounds. I'll add a couple extra bottles of water on my local hikes between now and then!

Here's the classic list: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html

Appropriate footwear is important as well.

Check.

Keep the pup close.

We have practice with that! Heis somewhat reluctant going uphill, so he often rides. Going downhill, he stays right on the trail and heads toward home! But he always wears red.

Thanks for the good tips!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@newboots - This is the pack. Mine is more of a dark blue / grey deal. It is women's specific, but only comes in one size. Given your concerns about torso length, it's probably not worth shipping to you to see if it fits. I can donate it to outdoor organizations around here, or there's apparently a gear swap coming up.

https://www.rei.com/product/780625/kelty-redwing-2500-pack-womens
I have that same pack and it's really great for day hikes.....and I'm petite with a long torso...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna