• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

BackCountry/Uphill/AT/Touring - skiing support thread for newbs!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hey! I bought bandage spray from Hansaplast after the recommendation here and it works great for me so far. I don't have AT boots so my setup is less than ideal, when I posted here last year I had blisters that popped after about an hour of going uphill :doh: have done a couple short tours since then with the spray applied beforehand, no more blisters! I'd say it's worth a shot.

Awesome, thank you!!

Yep my heels are toast today. Each has one I'd say dime sized blister that popped. Anything touching them is excruciating. So they definitely will need to heal up before I can try uphill again, even with these things to try I assume. Hopefully no notable wind holds for a bit to force me to hike! :smile:

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I skinned for the first time ever on my brand-new hybrid setup on Monday :smile: This was at Berkshire East. I loved it! Maybe the hill is just friendly or skinning is similar to hiking culture (greeting others on the trail), but I came across about a dozen others skinning in the morning and got several hellos and "Isn't it a great day for this" (it was). I also had a brief chat with someone at the top when we were both transitioning and a father to ask how the skinning was after his son took a tumble a little ways in front of me and I stopped to give them a wide berth. I'm an introvert, but it was just the right amount and kind of social interaction after 10 months of quarantining and only seeing my husband on a regular basis :thumbsup:

However, skiing downhill, especially since my season just started and on new equipment (boots and bindings), is much harder after you've hiked for an hour uphill! I did 2 skin laps, then maybe 3-4 lift turns (enjoying the green trails) and then called it a day. I look forward to getting into better shape and remembering how to ski!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I skinned for the first time ever on my brand-new hybrid setup on Monday :smile: This was at Berkshire East. I loved it! Maybe the hill is just friendly or skinning is similar to hiking culture (greeting others on the trail), but I came across about a dozen others skinning in the morning and got several hellos and "Isn't it a great day for this" (it was). I also had a brief chat with someone at the top when we were both transitioning and a father to ask how the skinning was after his son took a tumble a little ways in front of me and I stopped to give them a wide berth. I'm an introvert, but it was just the right amount and kind of social interaction after 10 months of quarantining and only seeing my husband on a regular basis :thumbsup:

However, skiing downhill, especially since my season just started and on new equipment (boots and bindings), is much harder after you've hiked for an hour uphill! I did 2 skin laps, then maybe 3-4 lift turns (enjoying the green trails) and then called it a day. I look forward to getting into better shape and remembering how to ski!

Sounds like a great day!! I just did half a day skiing on my new AT setup with lift service on Monday. I wanted to get a good feel for the skis and boots together before going skinning. The uphill really takes it out of me, I’m hoping the new setup will allow me to be more efficient and therefore conserve more energy for the skiing piece.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So the Leukotape and knee high suggestion is on the money!!! Thanks so much @Analisa!! You saved my feet for sure. Today was my first day trying it and the first day not getting blisters in my boots.. it was on the Tuckerman Ravine trail at Mount Washington which was a long way up for me. The tape is still perfectly in tact right now and no pain.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Anyone doing any spring touring in the northeast? Not that we’ll have any snow left after all this rain….

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get blisters from the uphill. I use duct tape or other tape in butterfly x on my back able. And also over my socks.

I don’t wear helmet on the uphill. I have a pack net (like a helmet bra) for the helmet.

On frigid days put skins on at home.

Layers matter. Uphill is sweaty and chills you when you stop.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I just reread this thread in its entirety and it’s awesome to see how much I know what everyone has said and how I overthought things before and how I know things now.

the skis are chattery but they’re light but they’re really stable actually. It’s just me that is unnerved by it responding to ice as such! East coast life…

the pack: I am still using. It is a beast. It has lost a bit of its waterproofing so I will need to treat it. Read this neat little review of it! https://www.carryology.com/bags/mystery-ranch-patrol-35-pack-road-test/

the hard shell pants and the outerwear shell I am still using. I have added soft shell pant to the mix and it has helped on warm days to switch to it.

for spring days and feet issues: I second the leukotape maybe over blister pads from band aid if there is pink color or redness or worse!

these were such great tips. Thanks to the amazing ski divas who contributed!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for reviving this thread, (as you know) I really want to try skinning and at some point I will sit down and read all the advice posted here!

marzNC

Angel Diva
This is a great thread!

While I'm not interested in touring, I'm skiing more complex terrain at big mountain destination resorts that researching and buying a beacon became a priority before next season. My primary ski buddies have been using beacons on resort for a few years. We'll do relatively short in-bounds hikes for good snow. Also know that instructors I've been working with in recent years who wear a beacon any time they are at their home mountain, even if they are going to spend the day teaching on groomers.

Here's a review article from 2023 that covers all the major beacons. Scroll down past the table for a general introduction about the features of avalanche transceivers.

" . . .

What is an Avalanche Beacon?

An avalanche beacon, also called a transceiver, is an essential piece of gear for backcountry travel in snow-covered terrain. In short, this battery-powered device allows you to both find and be found in the event of an avalanche by sending or receiving signals over an electromagnetic frequency (the international standard frequency is 457 kHz). All modern beacons operate digitally using three antennas (some have analog modes as well) and are powered by either AA or AAA alkaline batteries. Every member of a party must have their own beacon—stored in an easy-to-access location like a body harness or zippered pant pocket—and proper training on how to use it.

In general, beacons can be broken down into two categories: those ideal for recreational use and those geared towards professionals such as ski guides, avalanche course instructors, and pro patrollers. If you’re new to backcountry travel, simpler is almost always better when it comes to your beacon. In the event of a slide, the last thing you want is to be swapping through settings and wasting time trying to find search mode. And cost almost always correlates with complexity, so those just getting into backcountry adventuring definitely don’t need to spend up for the most premium model. Avalanche professionals, on the other hand, often benefit from the advanced features and functionality that come with more expensive models like the Mammut Barryvox S ($550) and Black Diamond Guide BT ($500). In either case, however, the best beacon is the one that you know how to use.
. . ."

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Thanks for reviving this thread, (as you know) I really want to try skinning and at some point I will sit down and read all the advice posted here!
I think we are close enough in foot size that I can splitboard and you can borrow my skis sometime! We need to do a Cochran’s run! Lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly