• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backcountry skiing in a Covid world

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seems pretty simple to me. Backcountry skiing is not an essential trip out of the home and now is not the time. Get outside for fresh air and exercise around your neighborhood. People are dying, people are losing their jobs, the economy is on the verge of collapse, this is not a drill.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really well written article. It will be interesting to see how many avalanches are triggered here in Utah starting today, as we just had the biggest storm of the YEAR (at least at Snowbasin) drop almost 3 feet of snow in the past couple days. The resort property is closed to uphill traffic right now, yet I saw on their webcam this morning several fresh tracks coming down upper 119. I went up there to snowshoe with my daughter and saw a few people in the lower parking lot getting ready to skin on NFS land, apparently. I shook my head.

The main snowshoe trailhead was busy, so my daughter and I drove back around to a short loop through the trees that is a mountain biking trail in the summer, and broke trail on it without a soul around. It was so nice to get back outside in the snow! We were both lamenting the snow quality as it was amazing, and whining that we wanted to be on our skis. When things quiet down, I do think I"m going to strap my skis on my back and snowshoe up somewhere easy and where avy danger is minimal to none.

MissySki

Angel Diva
To me it isn’t so black and white. This article also focuses on western backcountry skiing which I believe to be inherently more dangerous due to terrain features and more frequent avalanche potential than in the east. So I can’t comment on the western side of things because I have never skied there besides through lift service.

In the east though, I personally believe that if people are behaving in a responsible manner- i.e. not stopping for gas, supplies, food, lodging outside of their communities, have appropriate gear and know how to use it, are staying on terrain they know and is well within their ability level, going out when conditions are appropriate, and are keeping with appropriate social distancing measures- then I have no issue with whatever they decide to do.

I mean especially in the east, most of your time is spent on the skin up. The ski down is extremely short lived unfortunately. Are we saying people can’t hike, snowshoe, etc. in the mountains as well?

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a bit more perspective from the Governor of Vermont.

"I need you to stay home," Scott said during a press conference Wednesday in Montpelier. "Doing so will save lives. It's just that simple ... Everyone should be erring on the side of public health." Calling the COVID-19 pandemic a "once-in-a-century challenge," Scott said his executive order issued Tuesday was based on science and predictions that Vermont is beginning to see a significant acceleration in the number of coronavirus cases.

Here's the entire article, for your reading pleasure. It's not what any of us want to hear... at all.
https://www.vpr.org/post/vermont-gov-phil-scott-i-need-you-stay-home

MissySki

Angel Diva
Here's a bit more perspective from the Governor of Vermont.

"I need you to stay home," Scott said during a press conference Wednesday in Montpelier. "Doing so will save lives. It's just that simple ... Everyone should be erring on the side of public health." Calling the COVID-19 pandemic a "once-in-a-century challenge," Scott said his executive order issued Tuesday was based on science and predictions that Vermont is beginning to see a significant acceleration in the number of coronavirus cases.

Here's the entire article, for your reading pleasure. It's not what any of us want to hear... at all.
https://www.vpr.org/post/vermont-gov-phil-scott-i-need-you-stay-home

Sure, but exercise outside is still allowed and even encouraged, as long as social distancing is observed..

I personally think exercising by yourself outdoors is much preferred to the people constantly going to grocery stores etc.

I haven’t left my house since Saturday when we brought food and TP to some elderly family (though I didn’t go into any public places even then). Before that I hadn’t left my house since the previous Sunday (coming home from my last day of lift serviced skiing). Definitely get the staying home part. I’m probably going out to exercise in the outdoors this Saturday though, it’s going to be nice out and I need air and to get out of the house for a little bit while it isn’t truly regulated that I can’t.

Last edited:

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought all the links here were fantastic! Without any snow on the ground here it’s a theoretical for me personally. I did think when riding my road bike yesterday (from the house, around a few mile loop) I could crash and need medical services... but then in over 25 years of riding that hasn’t happened so is the likelihood really high enough to warrant concern? I think that is the same feel from some of the advocates of continuing skinning and skiing. The mountain bike trails are closed here for the same reasons mentioned by the author — too many in the parking lots and groups not using social distancing. It seems (in general) Americans are having a difficult time doing outdoor recreation responsibly.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
There was an avalanche accident in Colorado last week:
https://www.outsideonline.com/24110...IZhJ4Gd-lnT2sJxJ9I__B6DEyKLNq0NTDtoqhDJOfJGP4

I'm a member of a mountain rescue unit in Washington State and we've been sending out the message to just stay home. Accidents can happen even in benign terrain. A couple of weeks ago, I responded to a mission where someone hurt an ankle while hiking on a popular local trail and couldn't walk out. It's impossible to practice social distancing when you're packing someone out on a litter. Luckily, this ended up being a pretty quick rescue and the subject's injuries were pretty minor, but something like an avalanche rescue would have been far more involved.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I just read that Los Angeles just closed both the beaches and the trails in an effort to keep people home.

While I appreciate that people want and need to get outside, getting exercise close to home, in socially responsible ways, makes the most sense. the exercise bike in my basement has seen a lot of use lately. Would I like to be running, or skiing? Sure. But I think staying home is much more important right now.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ In Los Angeles, they also closed the fire roads in the local hills to hikers and cyclists. That's too bad because there are not really that many people who use them.

Yet I heard that the 3.25 loop around Rose Bowl was even more crowded than usual with walkers, runners, and cyclists. It's just a regular 2 way street with a designated footpath. I can imagine people sweating, coughing, and spreading droplets all over the place even though it's outside.
:bolt:

In my neighborhood, it's common now for people to give others a wide berth, like going from the side walk out into the street.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree @VickiK - some places that have been shut were not crowded at all and now are making those spots that are open even more of a hazard.

DH and I went on a mission yesterday to BC ski in our "local" mountains. This was an outing I had been planning for 2 weeks, monitoring the weather, snow and wind. It would have been a perfect day if only the National Forest Service had not decided to close the main access road and the entire "forest area" due to Covid. This is not a heavy traffic area. The website stated everything was open otherwise we would have stayed home. This is very mellow terrain area - really more skinning then skiing.

Tried to back door the area - 1st stop at trail head on back side of linked peak (much steeper then our intended mission) met another person gearing up to ski. Brief discussion decided to check out his intended tour via 10 min hike. Got to aspect and realized their had been a D2 avalanche within the last hour or two. He met up with us and realized what had happened. He was freaked out. We asked if he had his beacon. No b/c he was solo. He was not as avy aware, said he had skied chute in January. Had he not been "running" late he probably would have been in the slide or triggered in the avalanche. Chute was about 35 degrees. We dug quick pit if thats what you can call it in a few feet of snow and showed him 2 inches fluff on top of crust with unstable loose underneath. I was actually surprised how long and how far the slide was considering this was not very long run.

Proceeded to try another peak, access via state land (some how its ok to ride your dirt bike/ hov at a state park which was open) but again National Forest gate shut. Returned home where everything is locked down due to others refusing to social distance. I get it. Had we not been planning this trip for several weeks and thinking the stars had aligned, we wouldn't have gone. Not sure if conditions in the local mountains will stay skiable if or when the forest opens again.....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
According to a piece in Snowbrains, yesterday more than 400 people came to Tuckerman's Ravine in NH to ski, 50% from out of state. This doesn't seem like it's a helpful way to control the virus, especially since many, if not all, of the surrounding states -- Vermont, included -- have Stay at Home orders in place. Many were not following social distancing parameters, either.

STAY. HOME.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^ great pod cast @Pequenita
ESAC was asked to stop forecasting for Inyo County per Sheriff request. They are reporting only for Mono. "Given the current circumstances, ESAC is discouraging backcountry skiing and recreation in an effort to protect our communities and to avoid additional strain on our limited rescue and healthcare resources. If you do choose to head out in the backcountry, every effort should be made to avoid injuries. READ MORE... * Given the current situation, an injury at this time requiring medical attention could result in serious consequences for yourself and others. Limit your risks!

So Cal Snow Avalanche Center report from March 24th was exactly what we experienced yesterday.
The Bottom Line -
Following the rain on snow event over a week ago we have had a couple of cold snow events. Over the past two weeks we have found fairly good bonding throughout most of our test areas and most reports have indicated the same. Although there are some rain crusts still buried on North aspects that have produced interesting responses. Though not likely there is a chance of Deep Persistent Slab Avalanches where this poor bonding exists. If one of these avalanches were to happen they would most likely be a large event. The only way to check for these are to dig into the snowpack and see if this situation exists.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
According to a piece in Snowbrains, yesterday more than 400 people came to Tuckerman's Ravine in NH to ski, 50% from out of state. This doesn't seem like it's a helpful way to control the virus, especially since many, if not all, of the surrounding states -- Vermont, included -- have Stay at Home orders in place. Many were not following social distancing parameters, either.

STAY. HOME.

Follow up to this: Tuckerman's will likely CLOSE tomorrow. Go here.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowbasin was very busy with people skinning or boot packing today. I think I am going to stick to snowshoeing until I can ride my bike more.

And, I've never had to dodge dog crap while skiing. Gross.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

STAY. HOME.

Jesus! People make me nuts! I will attest to watching more groups than I’d like to see out. Most of the local playgrounds and high school tracks have been closed because people didn’t stay off them. The beach parking lots have been closed because people were going there. I can’t see why it is so hard to understand that keeping a distance can save lives. I haven’t been within 6 feet of any human since a week ago Friday! And when I was that close I was walking or jogging. I will say in my neighborhood people are stepping off sidewalks to allow bigger spaces if necessary.

We have deaths now in my little state. And cases rolling up day by day. Probably everyone has seen on the news that the Rhode Island governor was having New York plates and occupants checked. Extreme. Now she is just demanding if people come, that they self quarantin. But as is the case in any tourist area the fearful are running from the virus and going to where it was less prevalent, thereby exposing the local residents. People who live here year-round told stories of out-of-state plates coming out with huge shopping carts of goods to stock their summer homes. We can’t get toilet paper here! So there is certainly tension in those towns. I am not claiming right or wrong and do not want to develop this into a political discussion. People are scared. The ones who are scared are probably the smart ones. The ones who aren’t may kill us all.

newboots

Angel Diva
I learned from the podcast above that the parking lot (pretty big) was full but not overflowing, and that the crowds were small for a weekend but way too many people for the COVID situation.

Does anyone know how many people would have been there on a day like yesterday if covid-19 wasn't happening?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly