• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Back again from Sweden

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
I'm back from an amazing holiday in the Swedish mountains.......

I panicked a bit about the rain in the day before pur arrival - and it sure had some impact on the slopes until they had been groomed a couple of times. :frown:
The first day I went with the 7yo to the top of the mountain, where we skied a couple of times at a Nintendo-track/Mario land and then we decided to head down. We saw on the slope map, that there was a slope going all the way down to the bottom where we lived, so it could be fun.
It was also classified as green on top, blue in the middle and then splitting in a blue on the left and a red on the right (disclaimer - in Europe we have green - bunny slopes or very shallow; Blue - easy/intermediate; Red - between steep blue and shallow black and Black - equivalent to double blacks. Most resorts only have one or two blacks if any at all, as the reds differ in difficulty and will accommodate even the most demanding riders. And those who need more, go to the alps instead)

So, back to our descentting journey.
The tracks were icy - oh yes - but not worse than Magnus was able to snowplow/slide-till-you-come-to-a-stop on the blue.
When we arrived at the split part, there was a sign on the blue saying "closed" :help:
I could do a red on my own, but I had my doubts on the 7yo plower.
Well ok, we took it nice and easy, until we saw the ice :scared:
It was not just your usual iced slopes. This was mirror glazed and you could see your reflection in it.

We took a good 30 minutes gathering ourselves and assessing our options. Sliding down the ice was too risky as the slope was just too step and we didn't know where we'd end up or in what condition.
One of the resort guides came to us and offered to carry Magnus on her back on the way down, but he didn't want that. And honestly, I wouldn't have felt safe, even though the guides are super experienced, so I was glad he refused.
Then we were passed by a group of skiers, sliding down on their bums on a small patch of snow way out on the side and we decided to follow them.
The slope didn't have a fence at that side, so I managed to find a small bump to place Magnus safely on while I dismounted our skis.
Then I told him to hold his legs around me and grab my jacket while I led us down.

That took about 90 minute, but at last we got down.
Magnús started yelling that he would never ever ski again, that this was the worst vacation ever and that I was the world's worst mom.

And I understand his frustration. He was really scared up there and admittedly, I was too. Not scared that we would not get down, but worried how I would manage to keep him calm and listen to my instructions without panic or tantrums.

The next day it was snowing and they had closed off that red slope for grooming.
In the meantime the blue section was open again, and I convinced Magnús to try it which he did in great shape :clap:
We also discovered a green-blue slope on the top with some jumps and a long section where you could really pick up some speed. A great success for him also.

On the third day, the ski school had their "graduation run" and where else than on the bottom of that dreaded red slope........ It was now groomed and nice and the bottom part was more blue than red, but he was still a bit nervous.
But he did it in great plow-style:

KUHhZKC.mp4

And once again, I confirmed that I just hate, hate, hate button lifts on anything other than a bunny slope.:scared:
One of them went almost vertical and I felt like it could have split me in half (but it was the only way up - didn't do that run again). And then when it feels like the lift is moving faster than the skis, or when it starts shaking or the hands start sliding.......... I literally started calming myself down: "Only a few more meters, you can do it, breathe, almost at the top".

Did I mention that I hate button lifts.....?

And actually Magnus was in front of me, and I was nervous that he wasn't able to hold on. But weighing only 40 lbs, he might have an advantage there. He just thought it was fun :banana:

All in all, a great trip (after the first day)
I actually discovered the meaning of pole-planting - strange how poking a stick in the snow can help you turn at high speed (or maybe I just did it wrong), and my OneLuvs did not disappoint me :love:

I needed some runs to get used to the longer length, but during day 2 I got away from the backseat and actually got the feeling that I was in charge of the skis instead of the other way round.
Then my right boot decided to start pressing down on my toe, and my ankle-bones (don't know what they're called) found a way to perfectly match up with an inner seam in the liner and an overlap in the shell :tape:. Looking back I should probably have rented a pair for the last day and a half, but didn't. And now I have a blue nail and two burns on my ankles. But it was fun while it lasted and it only hurt when I relaxed :crazy:

I will definitely see a fitter before next trip.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the detailed trip report!

Sounds like your son got over the adventure quickly enough. Hopefully he'll remember the fun parts sof the trip far longer than the scary times. I know it's harder for you to do, but I learned to always check out trails before taking beginners or cautious intermediates. Conditions can change a green to a blue or a blue to a red pretty quickly, even at a small mountain.

my OneLuvs did not disappoint me
:thumbsup:

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the detailed trip report!

Sounds like your son got over the adventure quickly enough. Hopefully he'll remember the fun parts sof the trip far longer than the scary times. I know it's harder for you to do, but I learned to always check out trails before taking beginners or cautious intermediates. Conditions can change a green to a blue or a blue to a red pretty quickly, even at a small mountain.

:thumbsup:

I know - I usually am pretty good at reading slope maps - and the one we chose I felt confident in, even with the icy conditions as the slope is pretty shallow and kind of goes zigzag down. But IMO the staff should have put a sign on the top saying that it was closed further down instead of just counting on people going on the red instead.
Had such a sign been up, we would have taken the gondola down or just one of the other blue slopes.
I went to the info-booth after we got down to complain about it, but they had already been notified by the girl offering to carry Magnus on her back, as she figured something was very wrong since we could end up there.
So even before we got down, a sign had been put up.

The resort has been nominated most child-friendly resort 12 years in a row, so they could not bear to have this mistake on them.

Kudos to them on acting on it :hail:

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
And yes, I definitely love my OneLuvs :banana:
Although we needed some time to get to know eachother and I doubted them for the first runs, I'm glad I stuck with them. They need some more work and I can sure feel it in my legs. And they're not as forgiving as I thought, but maybe I needed that wake-up call.......
I sure feel more like a "skier" now - opposed to "casually sliding down the slopes on a pair of skis", and I have gotten way more technique incorporated compared to earlier trips where I just had to look in the right direction and then the skis would turn :ski:

Jilly

Staff member
I'm not a fan of platter lifts either. I'm so glad your son is doing so well. Love the video. He is set up for success, which is what instructors try to do.

Get out skiing again as soon as you can.....Keep the momentum going.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not a fan of platter lifts either. I'm so glad your son is doing so well. Love the video. He is set up for success, which is what instructors try to do.

Get out skiing again as soon as you can.....Keep the momentum going.

Yes, I’m hoping that we can do some daytrips later in the season.
Our go-to place actually opens on saturday, but it is with snow they have been making in their snow-factory since summer, and at 40 degrees I predict a very short life for that snow.......☺️
But we still hope for frost later on.

newboots

Angel Diva
So happy you had a pretty good ski trip! Magnus is a champ, for sure. He looked quite pleased, and also polite, waving goodbye to the woman who gave him something (or congratulations). What a trooper!

It looks like a good time, after the death-defying slide down the Ice Trail. I'm glad they put up a sign.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
So happy you had a pretty good ski trip! Magnus is a champ, for sure. He looked quite pleased, and also polite, waving goodbye to the woman who gave him something (or congratulations). What a trooper!

It looks like a good time, after the death-defying slide down the Ice Trail. I'm glad they put up a sign.

Yup, he was happy :thumbsup:
He received a small badge saying that he graduated level 1, along with a high-five :banana:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing