• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Back after 30 years!

AliceB

Angel Diva
When I asked for tips for coming back to skiing after a 30+ year absence for me and 45 for my husband, the ski diva consensus was TAKE A LESSON. And we did: our lovely brother-in-law who organized the whole trip treated us to 3 private lessons and we bought ourselves a fourth, and it made for an absolutely wonderful experience. My husband went from really zero to almost-paralleling, and I got back to what I remembered being able to do with some significant improvement. And oh the feeling of it! ⛷❤️❤️

And nothing broken, or even seriously strained! Deer Valley was great — good weather, good snow, and great service the whole time. Also enjoyed Park City (the town) and the magnificent mountain views.

So, many thanks to all the divas who replied to my first post. Also to everyone on here — now I’m reading the various threads with more understanding. Can’t wait to try some of the nearer areas — have my eye on Blue Hills, Wachusett, and Breton Woods especially.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to hear you've made a happy come-back.
PM me when you're heading up to Bretton Woods and I'll say hi if I'm there.

newboots

Angel Diva
Great news! I’ve always wanted to ski Deer Valley and Bretton Woods - both with a reputation for lots of gentle terrain. @liquidfeet didn’t mention, but I believe she is an instructor at Bretton Woods. Her advice here is always really helpful.

Congratulations on a happy return to skiing! And don’t be a stranger here!
:thumb:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOO HOO!!! Sounds like a great trip! Happy skiing, it will only continue to get better with more time on snow!

AliceB

Angel Diva
Thanks for the support! Love this site.

But just when I'm thinking of getting out again before classes start -- temperature in these parts is supposed to hit the 60s this weekend! :noidea:

One thing that I did have a lot of trouble with on the trip was when the light went flat -- partly I think because my glasses were fogging up under my goggles. So looking into fixes for that, maybe prescription inserts, maybe contacts (which I haven't tried in decades), maybe different goggles/lenses (I have Wildhorn with mirror yellow 46% VLT).

newboots

Angel Diva
I also ski in glasses + goggles and fog is such a problem, especially in flat light.

I plan to get contacts but have a long wait for the eye appointment. I did buy some flat-light goggles and hope it makes a difference.

I don’t have any magic tricks. I keep my goggles on so my eyes don’t water, and sometimes lift my goggles to vent but keep my eyes closed! Also frequently dry off my eyes and glasses. Ugh

newboots

Angel Diva
I was advised against prescription inserts. Same issue as having glasses in there, plus a non-optimal distance from the eyes to the lens, distorting vision. But I’ve never tried them.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the prescription inserts from SportRX. I’m unable to deal with contacts nor am I a candidate for lasik, so I got them with my full progressive lens although I probably didn’t need to go to that extreme. Because I own a few goggles, I got their universal insert and it works amazing for me. On occasion I’ll get fogging but nothing I can’t deal with. Very happy and cannot ski anymore without them. Sad that my vision literally degenerated as soon as I turned 50. Loss of vision impacted my confidence significantly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was advised against prescription inserts. Same issue as having glasses in there, plus a non-optimal distance from the eyes to the lens, distorting vision. But I’ve never tried them.
Hmm, I've read plenty of comments from people who swear by the inserts. I would think creating a custom lens takes into account where the lens will sit. Certainly a reason that when buying new frames, the person needs to be available so have them on.

I wear small frame glasses to fit my small face. So they fit in most goggles without any issue. But I still prefer to ski full days with distance-only 1-day soft contacts. It's the only reason I have contacts.

AliceB

Angel Diva
I also ski in glasses + goggles and fog is such a problem, especially in flat light.

I plan to get contacts but have a long wait for the eye appointment. I did buy some flat-light goggles and hope it makes a difference.

I don’t have any magic tricks. I keep my goggles on so my eyes don’t water, and sometimes lift my goggles to vent but keep my eyes closed! Also frequently dry off my eyes and glasses. Ugh
It did seem to be better when I kept my goggles on inside, or put them on 10 minutes or so before going out.
It’s frustrating that there’s no way to test goggles in the actual conditions before buying!

AliceB

Angel Diva
Hmm, I've read plenty of comments from people who swear by the inserts. I would think creating a custom lens takes into account where the lens will sit. Certainly a reason that when buying new frames, the person needs to be available so have them on.

I wear small frame glasses to fit my small face. So they fit in most goggles without any issue. But I still prefer to ski full days with distance-only 1-day soft contacts. It's the only reason I have contacts.
My glasses did fit under the goggles so that was OK, just still had some fogging. So seriously thinking about trying the inserts (just no way to know if they’ll work for me without taking the plunge, sigh), or maybe contacts — as with ski equipment I gather a lot has changed since I last tried the latter 30+ years ago!

AliceB

Angel Diva
I have the prescription inserts from SportRX. I’m unable to deal with contacts nor am I a candidate for lasik, so I got them with my full progressive lens although I probably didn’t need to go to that extreme. Because I own a few goggles, I got their universal insert and it works amazing for me. On occasion I’ll get fogging but nothing I can’t deal with. Very happy and cannot ski anymore without them. Sad that my vision literally degenerated as soon as I turned 50. Loss of vision impacted my confidence significantly.
Universal insert makes sense to me, since I’m still experimenting with goggles/lenses. Thanks!

AliceB

Angel Diva
Interesting, thanks! I’ve just started to look into my options, so all information is helpful.

AliceB

Angel Diva
I knew my vision had declined, but didn’t think much about the effect while skiing — the flat light bothered me a *lot* more than I remember from my youth. Thanks for sharing your experience with the inserts.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I knew my vision had declined, but didn’t think much about the effect while skiing — the flat light bothered me a *lot* more than I remember from my youth. Thanks for sharing your experience with the inserts.
Glad I could share an option with you. Call SportRX and talk with them about your dilemma. They’re very helpful and their products are guaranteed.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can’t wait to try some of the nearer areas — have my eye on Blue Hills, Wachusett, and Breton Woods especially.
Wachusett does a great job with snow making and grooming. I have a weekday pass and get out there once or twice a week. They have a nice women's clinic on Thursday mornings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly