• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Avalanche at TSV!!!!!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am still trying to locate a friend who was skiing Kachina and the Ridge today and he hasn’t gone home yet and he is not answering his phone.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am still trying to locate a friend who was skiing Kachina and the Ridge today and he hasn’t gone home yet and he is not answering his phone.

I hope you're able to get ahold of your friend.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Hope he's okay! I was worried about a couple of friends who were just out there as well, but turns out they left yesterday and i guess Kachina was closed for most of their visit so they didn't get to ski it.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad he's OK. I'm wondering if there are more victims, as it looks like it was a HUGE slide, and of course, inbounds.

mustski

Angel Diva
The article I read said the snow was so deep the the ski patrol probes (30feet) couldn't reach the bottom. It's crazy scary. There have been quite a few inbounds avalanches over the last couple of years!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope my friend is wrong and that everyone made it. There are usually more people on/near Kachina especially after a storm.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Wow - scary!

lenap3

Certified Ski Diva
A lot of skiers forget that inbound slides do happen, earlier this season JHMR had one and both Squaw and Mammoth had them last season. Where I worked in WA there was a chair to the summit that they required you to have avy gear for because avalanches, even while mitigated, can happen irrespective to resort precautions. I highly recommend investing in at least a beacon if you ski at resorts known for deep snow, especially after recent snowfall! Many new gear options also have the RECCO system, so consider a gear update as well. It’s amazing how much we take for granted skiing at resorts. Avalanches can be MITIGATED by patrol teams but ultimately there’s no definite way of telling you have prevented ALL avalanche risk. Lost a fellow instructor and his friend to a slide last year, both were teens not yet out of high school.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very sad, hoping for the best. BTW they had an inbounds this year already at Mammoth.
Triggered by uphill skiers on DragonsBack certainly not as big as last years, but one skier injured who was traversing below the skiers at the time of the slide. This year the back country is very unstable, lots of cold storms between warm as wells as a few upside down.

RECCO - @lenap3 I was actually going to start a thread about this. (mods move it if you want) Many of my families clothes do not have reflectors, yet its the fastest way on mountain to be found. I reached out to RECCO a while ago and received the following response. (btw not sure why having it in a pocket would reduce functionality) I just ordered a few of the reflectors.
Marmot also makes a belt with the reflector sewn in, and I believe some of the Avy beacons now have them as well.

Hi,
thank you for your email and interest in the RECCO system. There is presently one online shop that sells RECCO reflectors for skihelmet or skiboot to countries outside of Europe:
https://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product/recco-reflector/

Please note that these reflectors are exclusively intended to be attached to plastic helmets or boots, not to be carried in a pocket. That would reduce the functionality of the reflector and it could also be lost.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
RECCO - @lenap3 I was actually going to start a thread about this. (mods move it if you want) Many of my families clothes do not have reflectors, yet its the fastest way on mountain to be found. I reached out to RECCO a while ago and received the following response. (btw not sure why having it in a pocket would reduce functionality) I just ordered a few of the reflectors.
Marmot also makes a belt with the reflector sewn in, and I believe some of the Avy beacons now have them as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think RECCO reflectors can be a great addition for most if not all skiers, but the fastest way to find someone? Here's an extract from an article on wepowder.com :

What is Recco exactly?
Recco's been a partner of the Freeride World Tour for a while. For those who do not know what Recco is: it's a reflector which is often sewn into clothing. The mountain rescues of around 600 ski areas have a device that allows them to find the reflector. Among mountain guides and other skiers and snowboarders who consider themselves freeriders, the Recco system allows you to retrieve a dead body under the snow. Since you only have up to 15 minutes to save your buddy when he's burried by an avalanche, Recco simply is not the tool you want to use, because you don't have the rescue device. You really need an avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe. That's exactly what Recco is saying in the video below: it is not a substitute for an avalanche beacon or companion rescue. That's clear, right?

video

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if my coat has Recco thanks explaining it. and Wow- They just put up avalanche warnings for us in the Adirondacks of NYS!! Whiteface has slides hike to but rarely open, since we're expecting 2ft or more of snow tomorrow into Sunday, hikers, ice climbers and skiers are all on notice.

I am the chicken who won't go off piste due to fear of avalanche. Knowing they avi blasted yesterday morning on kachina and a slide still happened. YIKES.. I hope the 2 in hospital recover. And I'm onto google to learn more about beacons. Stay Safe Divas!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^ sorry to hear this. Just makes me realize how precious life is and how quickly it can be extinguished even while having fun.. prayers for the families, friends...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly