• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Austria vs Western USA - costs, surprising

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Cantabrigienne, your analysis matches exactly what I experienced in Austria. Most hotels are family run and they‘ve often been in operation a long time. The hotel I stayed in in Austria this year opened in the late 19th century, was destroyed by an avalanche in the 1930s and then rebuilt on a different site. However, it’s not a mom and pop operation. They also owned holiday apartments, a chain of ski stores and I think they had a stake in the ski school! Last year in a different resort, my hotel was smaller but still one of a family owned chain of three or four. They also owned a farm and served their own delicious beef and cheese in the restaurant! These villages were attracting visitors in the summer to “take the air” long before skiing was an attraction to most people. They also do steady year round business with hikers, mountain bikers and families. A ski instructor in Oberstdorf in the German Alps told me that their lifts are busier now in summer the in winter.

I don’t think that language is the reason hotels offer half board. If you are flying from the UK or Ireland you can buy a package through a travel agent that will include flights, transfers, half board, ski hire and lift tickets. This is quite hard to find in Germany, although I saw a statistic recently that Germans spend a greater proportion of their income on package tourism than any other European country. I suspect half board is the part of the package that Germans want because most people seem to drive to the Alps. Germans also go to the mountains for what they describe as a “winter vacation” which doesn’t have to include skiing. People go cross-country skiing, hiking, snow-shoeing and sledding at the ski area. @Cantabrigienne younare absolutely right about the variety of food - there is none! It’s Austrian style all the way. Compared to the US, most Europeans are really conservative in their eating habits, so I don’t think this bothers people as long as the food is of a quality appropriate to the price and there is lots of it! Personally, I like eating a wide variety of cuisines and last year was the first time I did full board because I was worried I wouldn’t like it, but I discovered I quite enjoy eating hearty mountain food every night when I know it’s only for a week!

I also think the ski culture in Austria/Germany is quite different to the US. Almost all skiing is on piste and it’s much more about relaxing than pushing yourself. People take long lunches, with beer and wine. There are definitely on-mountain lunch destinations - in Oberstdorf my ski instructor brought the group to a cheese-maker’s hut! In Obergurgl some of the apres-ski is on-mountain and the runs down to the village are floodlit. It took me a while to realise that the people skiing down long after the lifts had closed had been for drinks in the meantime!

Ski schools in the Alps definitely attract ski bums from all over Europe - gap year Dutch girls taught my kids last year, this year my son’s instructor was on a break from working on trade fairs in Munich. Higher level instructors are often local, although sometimes they’re from other parts of the Alps. Hotel and service staff are from all over, but mostly Eastern European. However, all Europeans look the same when they’re dressed in Lederhosen and Dirndl!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@patoswiss Since this is for next year, did you price using season pass prices? You could save a ton by getting a version of the Epic Pass, the Mountsin Collective, or the new Ikon pass that is coming out.

I have never utilized thr lodging discounts that come with these, but they seem like good deals. I know Jackson Hole does huge packages with airfare, lodging, lift, and optional ski school. Basically the more you buy, the more you save. Just some food for thought!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cantabrigienne, I have a question for you. How does the cost of liability insurance differ in the EU vs the US ski resorts? I have often wondered how much the resorts must pay due to the litigious nature of the people of the US. It seems to me that the Europeans are not so quick to go to the lawyers.

Another observation is that the resort areas in Europe seem to have a natural draw with hiking and mountain biking, much more than in the US. Resorts here are adding features like mountain coasters and climbing walls to entice year round visitors. Does that play a role in higher US lift prices?

Christy

Angel Diva
@2ski2moro Given that ski resorts don't seem to be liable for anything in the US, why are they paying so much liability insurance? Not doubting your statement, but genuinely curious given the info in other recent threads where it was stated that resorts don't have much at stake in terms of promoting safety. I guess there are lift accidents, which are rare...

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cantabrigienne, I have a question for you. How does the cost of liability insurance differ in the EU vs the US ski resorts? I have often wondered how much the resorts must pay due to the litigious nature of the people of the US. It seems to me that the Europeans are not so quick to go to the lawyers.

Another observation is that the resort areas in Europe seem to have a natural draw with hiking and mountain biking, much more than in the US. Resorts here are adding features like mountain coasters and climbing walls to entice year round visitors. Does that play a role in higher US lift prices?
Oooh - good question re: relative cost of insurance and one I don't have numbers for - it's just something more generically quoted when that cost of running businesses in the US is compared with other developed countries. (I've looked more at the general economy of resort towns as case studies for consulting projects than the specifics of running a ski resort! )

What you + other people have pointed out in terms of European resort areas catering equally to a summer hiking/biking crowd is another critical element in terms of holding down hotel prices in Europe because there's a more even flow of visitors, so operators aren't out to gouge you in winter to cover their costs for the whole year. For the condo my family usually rent in Whistler, the winter price is 2.5-3x higher in winter than summer, whereas for the resorts I know better in Europe (Val Gardena, Kitzbuhel), winter prices are probably 1.5x higher....I've seen some places in Zell Am See where the summer prices are higher than winter!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@2ski2moro Given that ski resorts don't seem to be liable for anything in the US, why are they paying so much liability insurance?

I have no facts, just questions.

I wondered if that might play a role that the price of a US lift ticket, which has risen faster than the rate of inflation.

I am also curious as to the cost of compliance with environmental laws in Europe vs the US.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One thing I have noticed is that you can purchase insurance at the same time you purchase your lift tickets in Europe. In fact, it is encouraged.. The cost is the equivalent of about $3.00 per day and worth it. I was reimbursed the entire amount of my claim last year (first had to file a claim with my personal insurance and submit proof to Swiss insurance showing EOB )in the Portes du Soleil (included the doctor bill, x ray, heavy duty knee brace, anti coagulant shots for air travel the next day, over the counter anti inflammatories, transportation by ski patrol (what a wild snowmobile ride), and loss of 1 day lift ticket.) I was informed the Swiss insurance would pay whatever my insurance did not pay. Initially, I had to pay up front the entire bill. My insurance reimbursed me for most of the bill and Swiss insurance (true to what they told me) paid the balance.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads up here for those of you who may not know: We're planning next year's Diva meet-up to be in St. Anton, Austria, replacing Diva West. So if you're interested, check out this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna