• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Audio in your helmet ??

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to explore this topic and see how many Diva's use helmets with audio capabilities or headphones if you don't wear a helmet.
If you do wear headphones, tell us all what your favorite tunes are to listen to.....
I think my new fave tunes are anything by Collective Soul !!

:snow:

Jilly

Staff member
Next year Salomon has a helmet that is blue tooth capable. Neat eh! I wear a helmet, but no tunes. I like the wind in my ears and being able to hear anyone behind me. Been hit too often from behind. Also not allowed when I'm teaching. So not used to having tunes in my ears.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Giro helmet with built-in bluetooth. I love it! I can switch back-and-forth between a phone call and music simply by touching a button on the side of my helmet. My only complaints are related to the fact I use an iPod. Because it doesn't support A2DP I had to buy a bluetooth adaptor for my iPod, and not all of the functionality works on the dials on the helmet, e.g., I can only change tracks directly from the iPod. (This isn't an issue with other MP3s, Apple simply refuses to include A2DP technology in its products.)

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I always wear a helmet, and never listen to music. I really believe you need to hear what is going on around you. It's hard enough to avoid the snowboarders when they can't see you on their blind side, if I couldn't hear them coming, it would be almost impossible.
I am sure I am in the minority on this one. Also, I love the sound of my skis on snow! I would really miss that.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Interesting code on our hill the other day: a person had an impact and broke off one of their earbuds inside the ear.

I am sure I am in the minority on this one.
I don't know about that, I think exactly the same way.

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should add that I don't listen to tunes if the hill is busy, or if I have my daughter with me. I always keep the volume low enough that I can hear things going on around me and keep looking up hill and around me when I ski, no matter if I have music going or not......

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should add that I don't listen to tunes if the hill is busy, or if I have my daughter with me. I always keep the volume low enough that I can hear things going on around me and keep looking up hill and around me when I ski, no matter if I have music going or not......

Ditto. I pretty much limit my tunes listening to when I'm on the lift (we have some really long lifts here), and then only when I'm skiing alone.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I always wear a helmet, and never listen to music. I really believe you need to hear what is going on around you. It's hard enough to avoid the snowboarders when they can't see you on their blind side, if I couldn't hear them coming, it would be almost impossible.
I am sure I am in the minority on this one. Also, I love the sound of my skis on snow! I would really miss that.

I always wear a helmet and never listen to music, too. Then again, I've never tried it. I might be willing to give it a try; people say it really helps them establish a rhythm. But I kind of like not having any extraneous noise when I'm skiing. Seems like there are fewer and fewer places where you don't have something blaring at you. I do like the quiet.

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Salomon Foil helmet with headphones, and use an iPod Shuffle (which clips onto my sweater). It's nice, and there's an audio control on the wire as well. The helmet is lined so I don't need to wear anything underneath, and it keeps me pretty warm.

I find the microphones built into the helmet to be less obtrusive. The earbuds with the Shuffle are too big for my ears and I'm always fiddling with them, so I really like to use it when I'm skiing. I don't play the volume all that loud--don't need to--and I can still hear skiers around me pretty well. I can also hear the scrape of an upcoming rider behind me.

The tunes are sweet, too--especially when Neil Young's playing the rock version of "Hey, Hey, My, My"--I've been known to sing along with "It's better to burn out, than it is to rust..."

heh.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Giro G10 helmet with speakers in the ear pads. I don't use them often these days (too much time spent coaching!) but do on occasion but when I do I keep them low enough that I can hear people coming up on me and can hear if someone says something to me on the lift. I use it with an iPod Shuffle which is nice and light. It does help me get into a rhythm and occasionally I just have a tough time getting away from real life so it helps me leave that behind.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
With a group - no ipod. I think it's kind of rude.

Solo - ipod is on. I prefer fast paced fun music....Beck, Beastie Boys, Led Zepplin, Blue Scholars, reggae - upbeat stuff.

However, if any of you divas have advice on some helmet friendly headphones - I'm listening! I've been steering away from music on the slopes lately because my earphones don't fit good & I'm always messing with them.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm against listening to music. I don't think you can hear as well, especially if there's fresh snow around. And if you're sitting on the chair and people are talking to you, it's rude. As for the rhythm thing, I think I would be so busy concentrating on maintaining the rhythm, it would affect my reaction to conditions on the hill somewhat. I know I fell one time because I was humming a Jethro Tull thing, "Living in the Past". It has an odd beat which did not quite synchronize with the bump run I was on.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually only have one earphone in. I really hate when someone starts talking to me on the lift and I can't hear them. I would love to get the headphone adapters for my helmet, because the earphone just start to hurt after a while.

I go from Beattles, to Johnny Cash to Celtic, even a few Red Hot Chili Peppers thown in. Funny thing is, that I try to keep the volume as low as possible, that sometimes my skis on the snow drowned out the iPod.

skigrl27

I would love to get the headphone adapters for my helmet, because the earphone just start to hurt after a while.

Headphone adapters?? What are those & where can I get some! I hate those little things in my ears - they never fit right.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Headphone adapters?? What are those & where can I get some! I hate those little things in my ears - they never fit right.
I know some helmets have an option to change out the earpads for ones with speakers, what kind of helmet do you have?

skigrl27

I have a R.E.D. Aletta helmet. I don't know if I'd want music in both ears though.

Since my earphones hurt - I gave up on music while skiing for the most part. I actually now enjoy the silence & not having to hassle with those damn earphones. But still would like the option every now & then.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, with mine if I don't get it plugged in all the way it only goes to one year. :p

Jan

Diva in Training
I love my Giro 9 helmet with Skullcandy.... wear it with tunes when I ski alone. Haven't had a problem not hearing what's around me, as I don't generally crank it that loud! I have actually had conversations on the lift with people who don't know I've got music on. I agree with Collective Soul, good stuff.
I actually have different playlists for different skiing moods... mellow to thumpin ..

haylmom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just picked up my tuneups for my Giro 9 helmet tonight and got it all hooked up. Makes some great sound, can't wait to try it out this weekend! Seems like you don't need it too loud and you could still hear what's going on. I'll find out Saturday when I use it for the first time!! YAY, I'm stoked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna