• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Atomic Hawx 80 Boots

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting to think about new ski boots, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Tried them on a couple weeks ago, and they seemed to fit my feet pretty well. I've never had Atomic boots before. Anyone have any opinions?

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have the hawks but I just got new M90s, don't know how the lasts compare. I have only skied 2 days on them but I really like them so far. One thing I did like was the liner didn't seem so squishy as other brands I have tried on so hopefully they might not pack out so much :noidea:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi SkiDiva!

I too purchased the Atomic Hawx this year (the H90) because out of the box they seemed to fit very well. Since I haven't actually been on snow with them yet I can't really give a review, but I did like that the heel pocket seems to (initially) hold my difficult heel in place very securely. I also like that the toe area fits anatomically if that makes any sense (toes don't squish together) I am able to freely wiggle without smaller toes touching the shell.

My previous boots were the Atomic B series....they were much too big and wide. (I was sized down to a 24.5 from a 26 :eek:) I can say that the liner in those didn't appear to have major pack-down and they were quite warm. Probably all that room for heat to radiate and be trapped! :laugh:

Both Atomics seem to have a fairly upright cuff, which I like, and I believe (don't quote me on this) that the ramp angle in the boot is fairly low. These things seem to work for me, as in between these two boots I've also had a Technica Attiva V8. The Technicas were sized appropriately (but in hindsight still too wide)... I had all kinds of trouble with them. The fwd lean of the cuff was too much and I believe it has more ramp built in as it's a Ladies boot. My balance was all off...felt like I was being pitched over the front of the boots and experienced major quad burn and calf cramping. Then the boot guy added heel lifts to snug up the heel/pull my left big toe off the front and things got alittle worse.

Another bonus if you tend to have cold feel is that they are prewired for thermic heaters. I don't have the battery packs and probably never will, so can't comment.

In so far as the Hawx technology and the flex zone stuff...:noidea:....I don't know that once I get them on the snow I'll be able to tell any difference.

Boots seem to be such a personalized choice...what I love another may despise. IMHO they are also a major HASSLE!! :laugh: Trying to find the right one has been a colossal PITA for me.

Soooo if the shoe (boot) fits.......

Gumbelina

Certified Ski Diva
I have skiied on my Hawx 90's 4 times now, and I am very happy with them. I went to the Jeanie Thoren fitting, had custom insoles made, had some heel lifts put in, and had the liners heat fitted. I have a narrow heel and wide forefoot, and rather low, large calves, and I don't think I could have done better than these boots. If this sounds like your feet and calves, then go for them!

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok SkiDiva, I've been in these boots 2 days on the snow now and just thought I'd revisit this thread in hopes of offering any useful info.

My initial impression is good. I have the 90 flex and they seem to be good for me. Nice smooth flex....not to stiff....nor do they feel overly mushy. I have absolutely no hot spots or pinching, yet I don't feel like the volume is too high for me....comfortably snug fit. No issues with cold feet...granted this week the temps haven't really been arctic or anything. My heel is holding well so far (always an issue for me).

The only issue I'm having is some slight "numbness" in my left foot and a bit of soreness in that arch. I was using the stock footbeds. I did go back to the boot guy and now have footbeds inserted (not custom) to see if that relieves my problem. Initially I thought something may have been compressing/pinching nerves/vessels....but even after loosening things up and making sure I wasn't doing the death grip with my toes....same problem. I'll be back out on them tomorrow and am keeping my fingers crossed, because this is otherwise the best fitting boot I've been in. I'm feeling so better balanced fore/aft than I have in the past and because of that no quad burnout.

I don't know how to give a general review of a boot, other than how it fits ME....so if you are looking for something specific please let me know and I'll give you the best answer I can, or I'll try to evaluate when I ski in them.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to the Jeanie Thoren fitting, had custom insoles made, had some heel lifts put in, and had the liners heat fitted. QUOTE]

I was not aware that the liners could be heat fitted. Boot guy never mentioned it. Do they have different liner options, i wonder? My H90s are last years version. Do you have the same? Or this years?
Hmmmmmmm........

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your comments, ladies!

I know it's all about the fit, so getting other people's opinions isn't especially useful, but I wanted to see what others thought, all the same.

I actually went back and looked at the 90s, and I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get them. I tried on a number of boots by other manufacturers, too, and the Hawx 90s seemed to fit the best. Of course, the final test is when they're skied. Wish me luck! :smile:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck!! I'm sure if they feel like they fit you well, you'll be pleased.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna