• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Astis Mittens

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I just "discovered" Astis mittens on this forum. Everyone seems to think they are great! Warm, and cool looking. So I immediately went to eBay to search for a pair. Found these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astis-Brow...rentrq:cf70854716f0a1293b1f522bff76ff5a|iid:1

I am not really interested in that style but I thought someone here might be. The auction money goes to a good charity cause so I wanted to make sure they brought at least a reasonable amount. Since they retail for $195, I thought they should bring more than the current bid of $19.00 -- that's me by the way but I hope someone bids more. Just FYI in case someone else is looking for a pair of super warm mits!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Ok so in the jacket quiver thread, some spoke recently of Astis mittens. I hate (love) you all, because after resisting for many years, due to those nefarious posts, I finally caved and ordered the mitts. They have arrived, but I've not yet opened the box, as 1) thinking of keeping them as a gift to myself for the holidays...and 2) I am building anticipation. So - I wonder if those with Astis might post their pics here to help me resist opening mine (I got the "Couzy")....

altagirl

Staff member
Ok so in the jacket quiver thread, some spoke recently of Astis mittens. I hate (love) you all, because after resisting for many years, due to those nefarious posts, I finally caved and ordered the mitts. They have arrived, but I've not yet opened the box, as 1) thinking of keeping them as a gift to myself for the holidays...and 2) I am building anticipation. So - I wonder if those with Astis might post their pics here to help me resist opening mine (I got the "Couzy")....
I just found a second pair for daily wear... they go with my suede winter boots.

20221119_124624.jpg

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I have 7 pairs. They are warm, but do not last that long before needing some attentions. I have sent a pair back to them to restore previously. The new people, who bought the company recently, have not started that again, but hoping that they do.

altagirl

Staff member
I have 7 pairs. They are warm, but do not last that long before needing some attentions. I have sent a pair back to them to restore previously. The new people, who bought the company recently, have not started that again, but hoping that they do.
What has happened to yours? I've had my other pair for, I don't know, 7 years and they are still in great shape.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
What has happened to yours? I've had my other pair for, I don't know, 7 years and they are still in great shape.
Thr first pair that I wore most had worn spots in fur trimming and the inside materials thinned out. So, that is where they replaced materials.
Do you use yours skiing? If you do, where the poll straps hit, the fur gets thinned out easily.

altagirl

Staff member
Thr first pair that I wore most had worn spots in fur trimming and the inside materials thinned out. So, that is where they replaced materials.
Do you use yours skiing? If you do, where the poll straps hit, the fur gets thinned out easily.
Yes, (not a ton) but they do get more use shoveling and dog walking. I feel like my pole straps are so loose they dont hit in a bad spot and haven't done anything but can see that happening over enough repeated use. (or also depending on the strap material and fit...) The insulation has packed out some but I just added liner mittens for colder days.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Interesting point about the use. I have my normal mittens, and will keep them in rotation...we'll see how much I actually USE my new beautiful ones.

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
I recently acquired a pair of these beautiful mittens after admiring them here. Has anyone experienced dye transfer with black suede on lighter fabrics? I have a light pink shell and I'm wondering if the black suede may transfer a bit on to the cuffs. I also have black jackets that I can wear them with, so not a huge problem. Thank you!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I recently acquired a pair of these beautiful mittens after admiring them here. Has anyone experienced dye transfer with black suede on lighter fabrics? I have a light pink shell and I'm wondering if the black suede may transfer a bit on to the cuffs. I also have black jackets that I can wear them with, so not a huge problem. Thank you!
Mine are black and I've worn them with a darker raspberry colored shell without any transfer. I also keep them in the off white natural looking colored bag they came in and have not noticed any transfer there either. So I think it should be pretty safe.

Amie H

Angel Diva
FYI divas: Sundance has a limited selection of Astis mittens on sale 30% off right now! Got my first pair today. Light gray w white, turquoise , and navy beading. Not sure that they go w my burgundy Arteryx shell, but my everyday winter coat is navy, so minimally I'll wear with it.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Look great w my coat & practical for Chicago weather.My daughter said I should wait and get a fur trimmed pair but the comments about wear & tear on the trim made this choice work for me. Originally $172, after tax I paid $130 which isn't horrible IMO if they last a few years.20221226_154523.jpg

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Look great w my coat & practical for Chicago weather.My daughter said I should wait and get a fur trimmed pair but the comments about wear & tear on the trim made this choice work for me. Originally $172, after tax I paid $130 which isn't horrible IMO if they last a few years.View attachment 19835
I have 7 or 8 pairs of Astis mittens. Once the light colored part gets dirty, almost impossible to get them cleaned. I did not buy another pair, which was not black, after that. So, be careful.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 I did think about that. In our state (IL), we salt roads, so the big staining issue here is from brushing against your car and getting salt dust on things (you can see on my coat, a salt stain! It brushes off easily, like dust. ) In other words, darker fabrics show that staining more.
I will not use for messy tasks, mostly driving, shopping, etc. Maybe some resort skiing.
I have 2 pairs of light gray boots that have done well in terms of stains over the years, so hopefully I have similar luck w the mittens.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 I did think about that. In our state (IL), we salt roads, so the big staining issue here is from brushing against your car and getting salt dust on things (you can see on my coat, a salt stain! It brushes off easily, like dust. ) In other words, darker fabrics show that staining more.
I will not use for messy tasks, mostly driving, shopping, etc. Maybe some resort skiing.
I have 2 pairs of light gray boots that have done well in terms of stains over the years, so hopefully I have similar luck w the mittens.
My light color pairs is khaki kind of brown. The palms are dirty. I only use them to ski.
Yours are much lighter than mine. Enjoy them!

MissySki

Angel Diva
My light color pairs is khaki kind of brown. The palms are dirty. I only use them to ski.
Yours are much lighter than mine. Enjoy them!
This is why I chose a black pair.. I have been very tempted by the lighter colors too, but this is food for thought.

Same reason I only get Hestra in black now. The beautiful white gets so darn dirty.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Tbh, I chose bc it was the only pair in the store! LOL.

Was at the shopping center w my daughter and we popped into Sundance, and there they were. I actually wanted a brown but that style must've been a specially commissioned run for Sundance- no fringe or fur and lower price point. 30% off sold me on giving a try. Entry-level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly