• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Aspen Off Season - Advice Needed

marzNC

Angel Diva
+1. Safe travels home!

Read that the fire is threatening the power station that serves Aspen.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fire appears to be spreading, with more evacuations ordered. Terrible situation for the area. I’m headed back to NYC today, which is small potatos compared to the situation that folks in Basalt are facing between the fire and the heavy smoke. I’m sorry to not get time with my godson, but I don’t want to add another person to the number of beings that emergency personnell need to worry about.

Come back sometime! I will take you on the Maroon Bells ride -for free!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny - Even though I didn't lose my ski condo in the Buffalo fire in Silverthorne I can tell you what this feels like. First you hear all your neighbors had been evacuated. You start with feelings of disbelief. At first you try to reassure yourself that every thing will be ok. Not knowing exactly where the fire is located you start searching for information. How close is it, where did it start, can it be contained or will it burn all summer, is our condo really in danger or were authorities just being cautious? Will the fire mitigation around the buildings work? The first day I wondered around in a daze. We were in Springfield, Ill. so we occupied ourselves touring President Lincoln's historical sites. We found ourselves talking to total strangers about the fire. We shared our concerns with each other. Dumb thoughts like "will they be able to install our new carpet next week"? I didn't sleep well that night. I felt so helpless. As soon as we heard we grabbed the computers in the hotel lobby searching for information.
The next morning we streamed the local radio station who went from "Your traffic information station to you fire information station". The local sheriff gave updates and shared information about the fire fighting process. We learned more about fire fighting than we wanted to know. Every evening there was a community meeting which was streamed online. Various officials spoke. For me those meetings saved my sanity.
I kept saying to myself, it's just a little ski condo. If it gets damaged I can fix it up the way I want. Since I always worried about forest fire this thinking made a lot of sense to me. In reality, the condo wouldn't be the same. We may not have the condo for the ski season, dealing with insurance, contractors, etc. That became the reality. Then I started listing what I had left there. Clothes had been removed due to new carpet installation. We had left a framed photograph of our ski club group at Steamboat. It was my first western trip. The photograph was a gift to my SO in appreciation of his being trip leader for that ski trip. All of a sudden, that picture became so important. Fortunately, I had taken my wreath home. I made it out of the grape vines we had in our back yard in our Cincinnati home. I had it decorated at a store Frisco. Every year at the end of the ski season it goes home with me.
If a fire had to happen timing was perfect. Had we been there and gone out before the area was evacuated we would not have been able to get to our cat. We would have depended on strangers to rescue her. I trust the volunteers would have done a good job but it's an experience that I wouldn't want her to go through. We had a home to evacuate to, many did not. The fire came within 50 yards of our condo building. When I saw the damaged forest and how close it came to ours and nearby condos I stood there and cried.
This event had been so well planned for that no lives or property was lost. Potentially $913 billion in damages to property in the evacuated area was avoided. The cost to fight the fire was a million dollars a day. Thankfully, no firefighters or residents were lost. Firefighting in beetle killed areas is very dangerous. I'm extremely grateful to the men and women who risked their lives for us.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Little Lightning - Wow. At first I was thinking that being so far away during all of that would have been harder, because you wouldn’t have been able to get anything out before evacuating. And you wouldn't be with other people going through it, which somehow seemed like it might be more comforting. Then you mentioned the cat. And thank goodness for technology - the ability to be "there" for meetings - not to mention the actual fire fighting tech. And also for all the planning and preparation that your association/town/whoever did ahead of time that allowed you all to come out of it without loss of life/property.

So, does this mean that all of the fuel in your area has now been burned, so future fires will likely not come nearly as close? Or is the beetle kill so severe that there's still plenty more readily available to burn? And does fire kill the beetles/larva or have they moved off after decimating the area and are long gone by the time something happens?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fire moved the fuel a little farther away but there is still so much left to burn. The beetles have moved on. When I got home I looked at pictures I had taken 8 years ago and the devastation from beetle kill was unbelievable even then. So many trees dead, dying or fallen over the entire mountain. I recently saw a billboard along the interstate that stated 1 spark from a forest fire can travel up to 1 mile away. I remember a comment from one of the community meetings, "the problem with fire is it's very unpredictable, anything can happen".
We've lost our hiking trail for now but at least that part of our forest can rejuvenate itself.
The funny part of this whole story is there was a practice drill scheduled in the very area that burned. It was to be the following Tues. at 11 am. The fire broke out at 10:42 am and about 100 yards from the fictitious drill. Still no word on who or what caused it. 99.9% chance it was human caused.
Sadly, although there are bans people still start campfires in the forest. They still smoke on the trails. There are patrols who ask campers to put out their fires which they do. When the patrols go back the fires have been restarted. They've traced the Basalt fire to 2 men at a shooting range firing tracer bullets. They were locals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly