• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Are the any Knitting Ski Divas in the Group?

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
Just wondering if anyone knits and skis (if you can do both at the same time I'm flying out to meet you!)

If so just wondering if you are on Ravelry. There's a group there I just joined called SnowFans. You can find me on Ravelry as.....drumroll please....HasmiF.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to know how to knit and I'm trying to find someone to re-teach me. I figure I'll be a quick study since I once knew how.

A friend of mine does a neat little project which involves some knitting. I thought it sounded like fun but cannot for the life of me find someone to teach me. Think I'll check out Ravelry, thanks.

Too bad you're so far away!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wondering if anyone knits and skis (if you can do both at the same time I'm flying out to meet you!)

Oooh, I must try that sometime.

I'm a knitter! Particularly in the summer months because most of my free time is taken up in winter!

If so just wondering if you are on Ravelry. There's a group there I just joined called SnowFans. You can find me on Ravelry as.....drumroll please....HasmiF.

I will check this out! Thanks!

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't do it very much but yes I knit, and crochet:smile:. I would love to do it more but my attention span isn't very corporative. :laugh:

Dirka

Certified Ski Diva
Knitting while skiing you say. Hmmm... that could be interesting. I am up for the challenge. I love to knit! A couple of Christmas' ago my family got hats, mittens and scarves for gifts. A couple select few received socks.:becky: Now I knit occasionally but I find it super relaxing.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to know how to knit and I'm trying to find someone to re-teach me. I figure I'll be a quick study since I once knew how.

SD,

If you have a yarn shop anywhere near you, they'll be happy to teach you!

I'm lucky, I've got a mother who is fabulously gifted when it comes to the needle arts, so she has taught me everything I know!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I was a BIG knitter for a while. Love it. Kids are keeping me too busy right now, though.
:smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I've been knitting for years. Right now only 2 projects on the go. Baby sweater for my dragon boat coaches little one and a sweater for DH that is a 5 years project that I would like to finish this year!! ( Wooly Harvest - Manitoulin Yarns, Sault Ste Marie area of Ontario. Wonderful lanolin comes out of the wool as you work it!)

Don't ever go to one of the show for knitters and sewers! Not a good place for your wallet.

Only seem to have time in the summer too. Maybe this year I'll get all of this done.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I taught myself to knit. Just easy stuff. I made several scarves (really great with rectangles! :D) and her newborn hat. The hat I'm pretty proud of because it had 3 different kinds of techniques. But I haven't knitted since. Can't seem to find the time or the attention span.

Here's the hat, actually:
DSC00908.sized.jpg

Wish I could get back into it. And I really wanted to learn to crochet.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been on ravelry for a long time. I've been knitting, crocheting, sewing... for a looonnng time. It's my second obsession, after skiing.

I'm also in the snowfans group, but haven't participated much at all.

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
Hey its so cool to meet all of you. I hated knitting after a horrible experience as a teen...same thing with skiing. its taken me decades to get over both.

I just finished an awesome sweater that instantly became a ski sweater. need to figure out how to post a picture.

I love ravelry. If the designer of the Green Gable Hoodie from Vogue Knitting hadn't been on, most of us knitting it would never have figured out how to fix the problems the magazine never corrected. She was awesome.

Speaking of awesome, I just discovered Twist Collective. its an online magazine. you pay for each pattern but they consistently have my favourites. If you don't know it, check it out. Its set up like Skipress - easy to read on line.

I made three ear flap hats this season. Fast and necessary for skiing. Mitts are the goal next season - double layered ones for my little guy for the warmer days. Maybe some fine warm socks for me - I have some cashmere sock yarn that would be perfect for my ski boots.

Maybe in August we can start a Ski Diva knit-along for something to ski in when the snow hits- hat? sweater? mitts? socks?

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Earflap hat pattern

Yes, I too love to knit and crochet. My first ever sweater is my favorite ski sweater now. You mentioned earflap hats -- do you have a good pattern? I would love to find a good knit or crochet pattern for a great looking earflap hat or other cool hats. Thanks!
A link would be great if the patterns are online.

Tennessee

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I knit all the time, from April through October. I have knitted since I was 9 and I love it. I have 21 alpacas so that means an nearly endless supply of yarn. But, my "stash" of other types of yarn rivals my "quiver of skis." Just think, diva knitters are "chix with stix(squared). "

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
Tenessee - Ear Flap Hats - I found a free pattern on line. It's called "Ski Hat with Ear Flaps" on knitlist.com. you can probably just search the pattern name. Its an old Lopi pattern. I used the basic shape and made my own versions - a basketweave, a cable and a simple ribbed one. They take about 4 hours total to make. I partially lined two of them with some micro fleece (around the forehead and on the earflaps).

You can also check out Knitty.com. They have awesome free patterns. I think I found a great ski/snowboard hat that hugs the ears and a pattern for a balaclava there! Once you get the current issue of Knitty up -Its an online knitting magazine - click on "archives" and you can pick a pattern by type. If you want to try socks out - check any pattern by Cookie A. She designs the most stunning and brilliant socks in the world.

BackCountryGirl - I was thinking that poles are just giant knitting needles if we take the baskets off....all we would need would be a big back pack of bulky yarn, maybe a herd of alpacas, one of those folding mini spinning wheels and who couldn't survive in the backcountry?!

And check out Ravelry. It's a community for Knitters and Crocheters. It takes a week or so to get an invitation - they were inundated by requests so they dole them out now. But Its so cool to see what others are knitting and to get help. You can find at least one person out there who's working on on the same pattern as you are. I love the "Random Acts of Kindness" group. You post a wish list and people send you stuff. You pass on the joy by sending stuff you don't need to others (by pass the greedy page long lists!). I don't need anything so I haven't posted a list, but I have sent a box full of wool yarn and silk shawl yarn to Pakistan to a young woman going through university to be a doctor. She can't get anything but acrylic in Pakistan. I also found a young lady who collects Swallow needles in the UK (casein) and sent her mine. I loved the feeling of passing stuff I wasn't using...makes room for more. So anyone want the 1990's day-glo rainbow coloured skis taking up space in the garage? I need to make room for my new ones.

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
bklyn - Hey are you on Ravelry as bklyn? I'd love to see what you do. I can't crochet at all. Something about coordination but I haven't been able to wrap my head around it. My son wants Amigurumi toys and I can't make them. Any suggestions on a good source to learn to crochet? I'm left handed so it feels extra hard learning to crochet for some reason. No classes around town for crochet.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I saw one picture! I want to see MORE pictures! MORE! I love seeing pictures of peoples' knitting projects!

I'll post a couple. I do a lot of hats, because they're quick (always important when you have small children-- sweaters are on hold for a while) and make good gifts and I can have fun messing around with all sorts of scraps of color.

Here are a couple of my hats from a couple years ago:
IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

Oh, and wool pants for my younger son, to wear over cloth diapers! I liked adding little *knee pads,* lol. Here's a pair:
IMG_5511-1.jpg

mollmeister

Angel Diva
( Wooly Harvest - Manitoulin Yarns, Sault Ste Marie area of Ontario. Wonderful lanolin comes out of the wool as you work it!)

I need to find more yarn like that. When I was in school in NH I used to buy the most lovely ww yarn across the river in VT. It had been dyed gorgeous colors, but still had that really *raw* feeling, with tons of lanolin coming out and conditioning your hands. Marvelous!

Jilly

Staff member
Across Canada there are "Creative Sewing and Needlework Shows". Thats where I pick up this kit. Usual spring and fall.

Have up you picked up Vogue Knitting. There are all kinds of mail order places in the back of the magazine. Most are American.

MM - try that hat in orange, do the very top in green and you have a pumpkin!! Or red and green for a tomato! I've also seen it done as a watermelon.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
MM - try that hat in orange, do the very top in green and you have a pumpkin!! Or red and green for a tomato! I've also seen it done as a watermelon.

That's the pattern I started from! :laugh:

Originally made strawberries and pumpkins, then realized I could use the same pattern for fun color-knitting with all my scrap yarn. I have a thing for stripes, lol. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly