• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Are the any Knitting Ski Divas in the Group?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Which yarn are you using for the neckwarmers?

I can't find anything wool and bulky that isn't a shedding machine.
Berocco ultra alpaca light and Rowan mohair one..currently.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have any new projects they're working on and excited for? I haven't finished anything in a long time, but then my 2 works in progress are both sweaters so they're taking forever.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm in the middle of a sweater for DH but I have to tear the sleeves back and start again. I'm stalled on this - I was perking right along, but lost momentum with the tear-back. I have my next sweater planned - one for me in bulky orange varigated yarn that should go pretty fast. I have a yoked sweater dress renting space in my head, too...but I promised no more yarn purchases till i used up some of what is in my stash.

I just started a wildly epic quilt project - all hand piecing. It's called La Passacaglia, and done in a technique called English Paper Piecing. I will be 150 years old when I finish this. My version is all in blues and greys.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Does anyone have any new projects they're working on and excited for? I haven't finished anything in a long time, but then my 2 works in progress are both sweaters so they're taking forever.
I have a big basket full of beautiful yarn waiting for me .

Tvan

Angel Diva

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Bumping up this thread because I'm new here, hate being cold, and love to knit...
has anyone tried knitting neck gaiters? I found a lovely pattern from Purl Soho called the Bandana Cowl that worked great for me. I'd love to try messing with the gauge to make it with thinner yarn.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bandana-cowl
https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2011/10/11/sweet-stitching-with-erin-bandana-cowl/
P.S. my Ravelry name is speedymouse. And we should totally revive the "snow fans group. :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello and welcome @GeoGirl ! I'm a knitter, and am "VickiKech" on Ravelry. I wore the Honey Cowl skiing and got away with wearing one base layer less because of it. It just got a little damp because it was snowing that day but that wasn't a biggie. It's a nice pattern and Free too! https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/honey-cowl

Bandana Cowl - nice. Maybe if you search on cowls made from fingering and adjusted the pattern to their stitch counts? Gotta love the Ravelry database.

I knit at lunch time with friends at work. We're the KC, Knit Club. It's a good social time/stress buster. "What's said in KC, stays in KC" is our M.O., is so necessary...
and Yes to knitting to knitting on road trips to the mountains. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just wanted to bump up this thread. At work there are some very talented knitters who have banded together to form a lunchtime group once per week, and are nice enough to try and teach some never evers in the group (like me!!) how to get started. I'm really excited about this because I've wanted to try knitting for quite some time, but find it difficult to follow from videos and books, so I've failed a number of times trying on my own because I'd just get frustrated and give up. Yesterday was my first meeting, and I was able to cast on and start knitting! I really needed to watch the steps a number of times and then have someone watch me as well. Was able to replicate the casting on and knitting at home as well, so I think I got that part down, although after a few rows I kept having to start over because something would go wrong. Anyway, I'm excited to keep practicing and adding on.

The group is going to be knitting squares to make blankets for charity, and may eventually do blankets, hats, booties as little gifts for new babies in the company etc. People are also encouraged to just come and work on their own projects, so it's up to you how and when you participate. I can see this being a great activity, can't wait until I can do more!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’m glad you bumped this thread. I belong to a monthly knitting group at our local library and it’s fun to get together and share ideas, patterns, and tips. I’m knitting a bunny (!) from a really cute pattern by Dot Pebbles Knits and hoping to have it finished by Easter. Will post pics as I get a little further along.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
omg Dot Pebbles Knits has incredible stuff, thanks for sharing that, @Tvan .

@MissySki , your lunchtime KC sounds exactly like mine! My only advice is keep going, don't worry, and every so often check you have the right number of stitches on the needle. It's sort of like saving your Word doc as you go along, a little "just in case" strategy. Oh, and life is too short to knit with yarn you don't like.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wait until you start shopping for yarns... So many beautiful yarns to choose from!

Tvan

Angel Diva
@VickiK - right? Check her instagram feed... its a bunny bonanza!

+1 about using yarn you love. At the moment, I’m on a yarn-buying hiatus...I need to use up my stash before buying new yarn. I don’t have room to store any more. #goodproblemtohave

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@MissySki - I finally learned to knit the way you have. Two attorneys I worked with (both knitters since little girls) decided to start a knitting class. My grandmother (a magnificent knitter) tried to teach me when I was little but it didn't stick. This time it did. I can knit squares and triangles so I mostly do baby/lap blankets, scarfs and shawls.

My DH and I go on cruises periodically and I always look for the Knitters and Needlework group (aka "Stitch & Bitch") listing in the on-board activities newspaper. Informal group of all kinds of needlework - crochet, knitting, embroidery, cross stitch. I've also done something like it on Bonaire. I usually travel with a counted cross stitch project as it takes up less space than a knitting project unless were driving.

Knitting and counted cross stitch help keep my hands out of the cookie jar or baking something I should be eating.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Covid destroyed my lunchtime knit group when we all started to work from home in March 2020. I check in on my old knitting buddies from time to time and they check in on me, but as a group, it's done. I'm still knitting on my own, sometimes with steady zest, sometimes in fits and starts.

I knit @skibum4ever a hat to match her ski jacket. It's a free pattern by Elizabeth Smith called Nocturnal. With size 10 needles and beautiful squishy yarn, it was a quick and satisfying project.

Elizabeth Smith also designed the Acadia Loop cowl that I'm wearing in my photo. She's located in Maine, and is a talented designer and a lovely person in general.

My main project right now is the Vanilla Sweater, bought as a kit from The Woolly Thistle shop in New Hampshire. It's a simple raglan sweater but the recommended wool is Norwegian and rather special. It's very woolly wool, seems a little scratchy (crunchy) but it softens up nicely after a wash. If you've ever had a old beloved Shetland wool sweater, it's like that. I probably will not wear the finished object until next ski season. It could even be a new mid-layer.

Hope you are all doing well.

@Tvan, how's that amazing quilt project going?

@alicie I think you're a knitter--you might be interested to hear that Vanilla Sweater was designed by a fellow Scottish countrywoman who now lives here in the U.S., she's also the shop owner I believe.

Last edited:

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Covid destroyed my lunchtime knit group when we all started to work from home in March 2020. I check in on my old knitting buddies from time to time and they check in on me, but as a group, it's done. I'm still knitting on my own, sometimes with steady zest, sometimes in fits and starts.

I knit @skibum4ever a hat to match her ski jacket. It's a free pattern by Elizabeth Smith called Nocturnal. With size 10 needles and beautiful squishy yarn, it was a quick and satisfying project.

Elizabeth Smith also designed the Acadia Loop cowl that I'm wearing in my photo. She's located in Maine, and is a talented designer and a lovely person in general.

My main project right now is the Vanilla Sweater, bought as a kit from The Woolly Thistle shop in New Hampshire. It's a simple raglan sweater but the recommended wool is Norwegian and rather special. It's very woolly wool, seems a little scratchy (crunchy) but it softens up nicely after a wash. If you've ever had a old beloved Shetland wool sweater, it's like that. I probably will not wear the finished object until next ski season. It could even be a new mid-layer.

Hope you are all doing well.

@Tvan, how's that amazing quilt project going?

@alicie I think you're a knitter--you might be interested to hear that Vanilla Sweater was designed by a fellow Scottish countrywoman who now lives here in the U.S., she's also the shop owner I believe.
I'm still knitting. Mostly baby/lap blankets and shawls. I have hyper-extended both thumbs skiing. Sadly, the left one now really bothers me knitting. I just finished a baby blanket for a great-nephew to be. I have become addicted to Caron's "cake" yarns - variegated/self-striping and I've done shawls and blankets in some very nice colors and weights. I can't use 100% wool as I have a short fiber allergy and I itch so I tend to stay w/ acrylic.
Currently nothing on my needles but I'm cross-stitching a birth sampler for the great-nephew to be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna