• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Are the any Knitting Ski Divas in the Group?

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I taught myself to knit. Just easy stuff. I made several scarves (really great with rectangles! :D) and her newborn hat. The hat I'm pretty proud of because it had 3 different kinds of techniques. But I haven't knitted since. Can't seem to find the time or the attention span.

Here's the hat, actually:
DSC00908.sized.jpg

Wish I could get back into it. And I really wanted to learn to crochet.

Severine! That is the cutest baby picture! That hat is terrific.

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
mollmeister

Okay those pictures are too great. The kids are so sweet. I love the hats and the pants. The pieced hat is pretty phenomenal too.

I tried posting some pics tonight but it kept "failing". I am starting a new spring sweater tonight. Its called Sweet Tee from Interweave Knits spring mag. Short sleeves, knit in the round. Fingers crossed its as quick as it looks. That cable sweater I did was supposed to take 2 weeks - it took 4 months with all the frogging I had to do. Otherwise I'm going back to socks. I made three hats this winter so I'm done with those for a bit.

Okay someone help please - how do I get a picture inside my post? I tried adding it as an attachment but the upload button doesn't work when I do that. Can anyone point me to the spot on the site I can get info on how to do this?

Thanks!

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
bklyn - Hey are you on Ravelry as bklyn? I'd love to see what you do. I can't crochet at all. Something about coordination but I haven't been able to wrap my head around it. My son wants Amigurumi toys and I can't make them. Any suggestions on a good source to learn to crochet? I'm left handed so it feels extra hard learning to crochet for some reason. No classes around town for crochet.

I learned how to crochet online by using youtube videos, they really helped, just type in learn how to crochet.
Also I found learning crocheting by crocheting in a round to be tremendously easier than regular crocheting especially granny squares ( which are great for setting hot pots on by the way :laugh:). As far as coordination goes, it also felt very awkward to me at first but for me the key to get comfortable with crocheting was how I held my yarn and the size of my hook.
Also I just researched Amigurumi toys because I didn't know what they were and found this and thought it might be helpful. https://mollychicken.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/04/amigurumi_tony.html
Good luck, I hope you are able to learn how because it really is fun.

lisam

Diva in Training
I took up knitting after the boyfriend requested that I make him a hat. The first hat was a disaster (he's only allowed to wear it in the house) but since then I've gotten much better :smile:
Ravelry is awesome! I'm there as lisamkamin.
I'm trying to finish the 3 projects I have going so I can start some adorable gloves with a fish pattern.

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
newskier - thanks for the link. I love thos amigurumis and I really will make the effort this summer to make some. Friends are having babies and they would be great gifts since infants can suck on them without hard pieces being swallowed.

Lisam - I'll find you on ravelry. I love it but haven't had the time lately. I love looking at other's projects. I've picked up ideas. I want to make an Urban Aran but a cardigan like brooklyn tweed did. I was going to make it my next project but decided on a tshirt. Its feeling kind of "springy" in the air even though its minus 10 and snowing again today. Or maybe my mind is making me make the switch since I've been knitting with heavier wools since October.

I still haven't had a chance to post photos. I think I will try the Knit Picks "Telemark" ski sweater for the fall. It will be my special ski sweater (assuming it gets done in time).

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do knit, mostly on shift at work or at cabin trips etc. If it is at work it has to be really simple stuff, since I have to keep my eyes on the monitors. So mostly scarfs, hats, socks etc. It has been a long time since I knitted anything more complicated than that.

Anything more complicated and I have my mother do it, since she loves knitting. She even teaches it in Junior High.

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
That's funny - I still try to get my mother to finish up knitting for me! She used to have the excuse that her eye sight was getting bad and I had to figure it all out myself. But since she's had cataract surgery in both eyes she has better than 20/20 vision again so she's started to say that her hands hurt too much. She cracks me up!

I have figured out all the knitting - but the crochet still boggles me. I'm going to try the youtube and other videos people have suggested. But I'll leave it to the summer when I do more experimenting and less "goal" oriented knitting...that being "I want a new sweater" type of goal.

I finished a sweater that took forever and I have to say am relieved to get back to socks. I love something I can pick up and put down for a few rows without having to think too hard. And those ear flap hats were euphoric (still need to post pics!)

Working on a pair of Jaywalker socks right now. And need to make myself a new pair of Monkey Socks (by Cookie A. on knitty.com - free!)

I've never tried lace...well that's a lie. I tried and got frustrated and kept ruining it. Got tired of ripping it out.

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
I took up knitting after the boyfriend requested that I make him a hat. The first hat was a disaster (he's only allowed to wear it in the house) but since then I've gotten much better :smile:
Ravelry is awesome! I'm there as lisamkamin.
I'm trying to finish the 3 projects I have going so I can start some adorable gloves with a fish pattern.

Lisam,

you have some awesome patterns queued in ravelry. I love the SpillyJane fish mitts. I love some of the hat patterns you have. That penguin hat you made is sooo great. I'm going to show it to my son. he'd love that and the octopus!

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been knitting since I was a kid - I had an aunt that taught me. My mother doesn't have a crafty bone in her. Years ago I was into Irish knits. I lived in Bermuda for a year and made one for my then husband with an English pattern that used two skeins at once with small needles. The sweater took forever and he's long gone but I still have the sweater. I think it's up at my ski house in NH somewhere. Haven't done anything in a few years - maybe one of these days I'll have grandkids to knit for....
OTHD

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
Knitting pics finally. Maybe to get overthehilldiva going?

Okay I've figured out how to attach the photos - now working on how to show them in my post. I don't know why I'm finding this so hard to do! Sheesh.

EAR FLAP HATS - Finally - From the internet found pattern called "Ski Hats with Earflaps" an old Lopi pattern from the 1960's

The blue one is a basketweave pattern I picked out of a pattern book. The red one I just did cables and ribbing. My son's is just ribbed. I lined the blue one and my son's hat but did only half linings around the ears and forehead and back. I needed to make the hats one size bigger if I was going to line it all the way through. I found that out the hard way when I cut a full lining and pinned it in and the hats were suddenly too small. I think I'll line the red one for next season as its too "breezy".

DSC02950.JPG
DSC02961.JPG
DSC02965.JPG
DSC02972.JPG

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Severine! That is the cutest baby picture! That hat is terrific.

Thanks! :smile: The funny thing is the top of it was not supposed to turn out as seed stitch. I don't remember what it was supposed to be, but I messed up somehow and got seed stitch instead. Oh well; it's still cute! :D

lisam

Diva in Training
Thanks HasimF! I can't wait to try the fish mittens :smile: I am just waiting on the yarn...that and I promised my brother I would make him a scarf first.

The penguin hat is definitely awesome. I was so excited to find that pattern!

The octopus was fun but a very fiddly little project. He turned out so cute though!

The stitch markers you made are so cool! They are really pretty :smile:

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Lisa. Need to make some for me too. FOund that stash of old chandelier crystals. Apparently the recipient of the first batch knits on the subway in Toronto and gets more compliments on the stitch markers than the knitting.

I'm ready to start mittens too. I found some cool ones in CLara Parkes Book about Yarn (can't remember what its called) but they are by Adrian Bazilla (sp?). I like how she lines them by making a matching mitten lining.

There are some totally cool mitts out there. I'm thinking some honking big and colourful gauntlets for fun next ski season.

Finished another pair of socks...ran out of yarn. Thank god a friend has the same yarn. Waiting on her socks to be done for leftovers. Working on a long sleeved t right now. Still snowing here - 15 cm on our local mountain on Sunday so still skiing more than knitting on the weekends. But only 3 weeks left. it closes the weekend after Easter weekend. I will be sad as its my first ski season and have LOVED it!

ChgoSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I did a search on "knitting" on this forum and was very happy to find some threads (albeit older) come up, especially the one that mention Ravelry. I'm on Ravelry and the Snow Fans group as UrbanKnitter. My "Ravatar" is a picture of snow-covered trees that I took on a run in Steamboat a few years ago.

The funny thing is the main reason I started knitting is because I wanted to make hats and sweater for skiing!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Errm, this is very timely. I am currently knitting a hat because it is so cute looking - but nothing that I am likely to wear. Someone will be selected to receive it as a gift!

In New Zealand it was their spring time and still quite chilly, and I found that they have the most beautiful wools and yarns - must be all those sheep! I started to knit up some very simple scarves and ended up doing quite a few for my travel companions. I hadn't knitted in a long time before that - I think I stopped when the long haired cats started to live in my lap. Wool with soggy sections (they groom it) or with pet hair added is less attractive to work with.

Back in Colorado I was in a shop to buy some sewing items and saw their gorgeous wools. So I am doing a hat in the round that is textured as though it is in rings. I need to find some stitch markers. I like very much to be inspired by the colours, textures, or desired end product, so I am off to check out ravelry.com for some project inspiration. Thanks for the steer.

B

B.E.G.

I learned how to knit but I cannot for the life of me knit anything that's not square. So lots of scarves :laugh:

I'm better at crocheting and can do basic patterns but again, can't do anything that's not a square. Fail!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm a quilted, but also a knitter. Especially during ski season, I find knitting easier because I can cart it around with me. I finished a pair of mittens on my last trip to Stratton. I'm on Ravelry as tvan.

I've been saving undercoat brushings from our Maine coon cat and I'd really like to learn how to spin. His fur is so awesome, it would make a great yarn!

I agree that more pics would be great on this site. My laptop with all my photos has been infected with some nasty virus, so until my husband can get it reimaged, I only have my iPad and can't upload pics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna