• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are my new skis too short?

Ninah Hunter

Diva in Training
Hi, from your new member in Ridgway, CO. I did not grow up skiing since I was raised in San Diego, CA by non-skiing parents. Since living in Ridgway, I managed to get to an advanced intermediate level, skiing double blues and some easier, groomed black diamond cruisers. Then, due to time, injuries, etc., I back-tracked and am essentially starting over. I felt my 158 Dynastars were now too heavy and hard to manage, and too long for me. I am 5’2” (barely), 135 lbs. So, after some research, I bought some 145 Fischer Aspires, which I tried out yesterday. They were fine going slow on easy green runs, but once I got going faster on more steeps, they were squirrely! They would wobble or chatter on me. I kept catching an edge and almost fell a few times. I tried changing stance or weighting, which helped a bit. So, my question is, are my skis too short, or soft? Is there something I can or should do with the bindings? Should I spend more time trying to get used to them or just send them back? Although I want to improve, at age 65, I will probably only ski a few times a year and never get past being a strong intermediate skier who is not a speed demon(ness), likes to turn, and would still like to conquer some crud and easy moguls. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi and welcome!! I think they are too short for you personally.. I’m 5’4 and ~130lbs., when I started skiing in my 20s my first pair of skis were 146 in length because they were easy to turn. However, once I wanted more speed or got into anything but pristine groomers they were chattery and completely unstable which made me even more nervous than I already was as a beginner. I went to a 156 length ski which helped me progress a ton, and eventually got to a ski length preference in the mid-160s usually.

Do you have properly fitted boots? If so, how about demoing some skis in varying lengths to see how they feel?

Ninah Hunter

Diva in Training
Thanks, @MissySki! I think you confirmed my suspicion. And you described perfectly what I was feeling yesterday--unstable. I also got new ski boots, which, fortunately, fit me great. Demo-ing is ideal. I'll see what the dealer where I bought these has to say, then start investigating demos. Cheers!

Ninah Hunter

Diva in Training
Thanks, @Christy. How tall are you? It seems most ski sizing is base on height, but I've also read and know weight can play a role, as well as skill level, and the type of skiing or terrain. The problem with talking to "experts" is that they usually have a certain brand and inventory of skis they are trying to sell. That's why I'm glad I found this forum. I'll get a lot more unbiased advice based on real-world experience, and sometimes, like in my case, trial and error. ;-)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm suspicious that they are too soft in addition to being too short. Based on the terrain you describe yourself skiing, you need a higher level ski. After a quick perusal of those skis online, they are listed as "beginner/intermediate".

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Once my skiing improved beyond a certain level, my skis became quite squirrelly. They were too short and too soft as beginner skis. If you can demo different brands and lengths, you'll be able to find the construction and lengths that work for you. And boy when you find that skis that clicks, the fun begins!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I am 5’2” and 123lbs. My first year beginner skis were 146cm and I was generally happy with them except in spring mashed potatoes crud. Now in my second year skiing I have upgraded to 153cm and love them. I ski in VT and ski blues and single diamonds and am exploring moguls and ungroomed terrain with confidence. No complaints about chatter unless i get too far in the backseat on a fast hard groomer. Getting my weight forward fixes that immediately.

Ninah Hunter

Diva in Training
Thanks, all! I should have done this research and demoed before I bought, but at least I got a super good package deal and the boots fit. I'll be demoing from now on, and in the meantime, probably switch back to the Dynastars. Anyone interested, or know anyone who would be, in nearly brand new 145 Fischer My Aspire Women's skis with Fischer's My RS 9 Ski Bindings? $175 plus shipping. :-)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too short and maybe too soft, as @contesstant said. I'm 5'1" and 100 lbs. and ski a 147 and 150 in the two pairs of skis I own. You've got weight and height on me.

Christy

Angel Diva
Thanks, @Christy. How tall are you? It seems most ski sizing is base on height, but I've also read and know weight can play a role, as well as skill level, and the type of skiing or terrain. The problem with talking to "experts" is that they usually have a certain brand and inventory of skis they are trying to sell. That's why I'm glad I found this forum. I'll get a lot more unbiased advice based on real-world experience, and sometimes, like in my case, trial and error. ;-)

I am 5'5". I've always been told your skis care a lot more about how much you weigh then how tall you are.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm suspicious that they are too soft in addition to being too short. Based on the terrain you describe yourself skiing, you need a higher level ski. After a quick perusal of those skis online, they are listed as "beginner/intermediate".
Once my skiing improved beyond a certain level, my skis became quite squirrelly. They were too short and too soft as beginner skis. If you can demo different brands and lengths, you'll be able to find the construction and lengths that work for you. And boy when you find that skis that clicks, the fun begins!
I am 5’2” and 123lbs. My first year beginner skis were 146cm and I was generally happy with them except in spring mashed potatoes crud. Now in my second year skiing I have upgraded to 153cm and love them. I ski in VT and ski blues and single diamonds and am exploring moguls and ungroomed terrain with confidence. No complaints about chatter unless i get too far in the backseat on a fast hard groomer. Getting my weight forward fixes that immediately.
Too short and maybe too soft, as @contesstant said. I'm 5'1" and 100 lbs. and ski a 147 and 150 in the two pairs of skis I own. You've got weight and height on me.

All of this....seek out some demo's and have some fun on better stuff...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hi @Ninah Hunter - Welcome!

I have always been told "A ski only knows how much you weigh, not how tall you are". My response to that is a bit of a meh! I am tall 5'9", but not heavy for my height at 140-ish. Over time I have found I prefer a ski that is commensurate with my height, but also in a construction for my weight and how I ski. The length is also determined by how much rocker (tip and tail) the ski has - you can go longer with a ski with rocker. I am 175cm and have found a low-mid 170s ski with rocker and not too much metal is my happy place...in a carver with no tail rocker and minimal tip rocker a high 160s works.

Which Dynastar model do you have in a 158? That ski is taller than you given you are around 157cm, so yes, that may be long and heavy. Conversely, the length of your new Fischers seems short, and I also agree the construction is likely too soft. Not a good combination for stability!

I expect a ski in the mid 150s with some tip rocker and an Intermediate-Advanced construction would suit you well.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
T Anyone interested, or know anyone who would be, in nearly brand new 145 Fischer My Aspire Women's skis with Fischer's My RS 9 Ski Bindings? $175 plus shipping. :-)

We have a gear swap thread! Consider posting there. And best of luck with finding new skis!

Glad you decided to join us!

:ski2::welcome::ski2:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi, from your new member in Ridgway, CO. I did not grow up skiing since I was raised in San Diego, CA by non-skiing parents. Since living in Ridgway, I managed to get to an advanced intermediate level, skiing double blues and some easier, groomed black diamond cruisers. Then, due to time, injuries, etc., I back-tracked and am essentially starting over. I felt my 158 Dynastars were now too heavy and hard to manage, and too long for me. I am 5’2” (barely), 135 lbs. So, after some research, I bought some 145 Fischer Aspires, which I tried out yesterday. They were fine going slow on easy green runs, but once I got going faster on more steeps, they were squirrely! They would wobble or chatter on me. I kept catching an edge and almost fell a few times. I tried changing stance or weighting, which helped a bit. So, my question is, are my skis too short, or soft? Is there something I can or should do with the bindings? Should I spend more time trying to get used to them or just send them back? Although I want to improve, at age 65, I will probably only ski a few times a year and never get past being a strong intermediate skier who is not a speed demon(ness), likes to turn, and would still like to conquer some crud and easy moguls. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome! Which Dynastar model? Around what year? Reason I ask is that I'm a couple inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter. My narrower skis are 148cm but my all-mountain skis are 159cm. However I became a solid advanced skier in recent years after age 55. I was on BP88 @145 a few years ago and they were fine on groomers and small bumps (nothing more complicated open) out west. Dynastar is one of the brands I like based on demo'ing.

So I'll go with too soft rather than too short.

When was the last time you had a lesson?

Ninah Hunter

Diva in Training
Hi @Ninah Hunter - Welcome!

I have always been told "A ski only knows how much you weigh, not how tall you are". My response to that is a bit of a meh! I am tall 5'9", but not heavy for my height at 140-ish. Over time I have found I prefer a ski that is commensurate with my height, but also in a construction for my weight and how I ski. The length is also determined by how much rocker (tip and tail) the ski has - you can go longer with a ski with rocker. I am 175cm and have found a low-mid 170s ski with rocker and not too much metal is my happy place...in a carver with no tail rocker and minimal tip rocker a high 160s works.

Which Dynastar model do you have in a 158? That ski is taller than you given you are around 157cm, so yes, that may be long and heavy. Conversely, the length of your new Fischers seems short, and I also agree the construction is likely too soft. Not a good combination for stability!

I expect a ski in the mid 150s with some tip rocker and an Intermediate-Advanced construction would suit you well.
That’s great info, @lisamamot. I’ll have to research rocker a bit more. I have learned a lot from this thread so I am a bit more educated now when I talk to the experts where I plan to demo a few skis before I buy next time.

Ninah Hunter

Diva in Training
Welcome! Which Dynastar model? Around what year? Reason I ask is that I'm a couple inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter. My narrower skis are 148cm but my all-mountain skis are 159cm. However I became a solid advanced skier in recent years after age 55. I was on BP88 @145 a few years ago and they were fine on groomers and small bumps (nothing more complicated open) out west. Dynastar is one of the brands I like based on demo'ing.

So I'll go with too soft rather than too short.

When was the last time you had a lesson?
I believe my Dynastars are circa 2006. I did/do like them but just find them a bit harder to manage since losing some of my ski skills and confidence. I could probably grow back into them but still think a shorter, newer ski might improve my skiing and make it more fun—as would a lesson or two, since it has been awhile since my last ones! Good suggestion.

newboots

Angel Diva
You may regain your skills faster than you imagine. I’m amazed at how quickly I pick things up after solidifying some skill I’m working on.

And lessons, of course. The fastest way!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly