• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

April skiing destinations

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Id like to squeeze in a ski trip early April and would like suggestions of places where the conditions are still good and exclude Mammoth. I usually ski Deer Valley but am told that’s kind of a wild card. Thank you!

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Alison and thank you for the recommendations. i have to get some info about Banff such as airport, transportation, accommodations and accessibility to slopes. Is there a site that would help me?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Airport - Calgary, Alberta (YYC is the airport code)

Transportation - Either take shuttle from YYC to Banff or get rental. (Rental is very cheap, $95 CDN for 3 days just to give you an idea). Exchange rate is about $0.75 USD = $1 CDN - v. rough estimate

Accommodation - Banff town (more convenient and you can take shuttle to the mountains) or Canmore (less $$ but better if you have rental) shuttles are free from Banff town to the mountains.

Do you have Ikon or MCP? Both have Banff on its pass.

This is the link.Ski Big 3 Website

There is a thread started by @ilovepugs about her Banff trip. It can provide you some reference:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...t-timer-tips-for-lake-louise-and-banff.22768/

alison wong

Angel Diva
Hopefully others will chime in to give you more destination ideas.
I know @nopoleskier and @Jenny have visited Banff, they may stop by to provide you more insights about Banff.
I am biased and may not give you the most objective point of view. I simply love Banff, all 4 seasons. It is my #1 favorite.

Christy

Angel Diva
A number of us went to Banff (stayed in the town of Banff, skied Lake Louise and Sunshine) in April 2019. Conditions were fantastic, with new snow, and no crowds on the slopes. I drove from Calgary and it was a very easy drive.

You might check your frequent flyer program for flights--I took Alaska from Seattle to Calgary and it was only 5000 miles each way. I don't think people generally go to Calgary in April.

Whistler is also generally good in April. The towns of Banff and Whistler reminded me a lot of each other, with some of the same shops and restaurants. Both are very touristy.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Banff is beautiful in April! Can’t tell you,personally how the skiing was because I was on injured reserve at that point but my husband and the others had a ball!

If I don’t get in enough skiing this "winter" I’m already pondering a late season trip there.

Jilly

Staff member
Banff as well. Call Big 3 or email. They can help you out. No issue with either a car or the bus. The bus, Brewsters, from the airport will pick up and drop off at your hotel. Bus to the mountains is easy. Since my trip was the 3rd one, I rented a Rav 4. It was perfect. I've stayed at the Banff Springs, the Coast hotel in Canmore and lastly the Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I only got 2 days in at Lake Louise in November.

Just to add...The CSIA plans a big camp for instructors at Sunshine the second weekend in MAY!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Id like to squeeze in a ski trip early April and would like suggestions of places where the conditions are still good and exclude Mammoth. I usually ski Deer Valley but am told that’s kind of a wild card. Thank you!
I'll be at Alta Lodge for my usual late season trip in early April. Have always had a good time. The difference between LCC and DV is both altitude and the amount of snow that falls during winter storms.

More trails are groomed during late season at Alta than during mid-season. Meaning a few of the easier blacks that are normally left ungroomed are groomed every so often if there isn't fresh snow.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Banff is great, I was there mid March 2019- was brutally cold so I'm heading back this Spring.
Alta would be my other choice, It's amazing how much MORE Snow Alta gets Vs Deer Valley- just last week DV got 2" Alta got 10"!!
location, location, location.

If you haven't been to Banff it is magnificent! Postcard views everywhere and with the Dollar so strong it's very reasonable on your wallet. While you can ride buses having a car allows for day trips. We hiked into Peyto Glacier, hiked around Emerald Lake and took a couple other hikes and we walked around touristy town of banff and the lux Fairmont (s)

You do need a Park Pass to drive on the Highway, our VRBO in Canmore included the pass. One day we forgot to put on our dash while at Sunshine and got a ticket- yes they do ck while you are skiing. I had it fixed by stopping at the park office (drive thru) but if you don't have a pass can add 28/day.

Lots of great restaurants. The Mts. are about 25min from Canmore,
Norquay is across the road from the village of Banff. LL and Sunshine are 20min from Banff.

flying into calgary is easy peasy, the roads are well maintained I thought.
Since you've been to Utah my vote is Banff!

Jilly

Staff member
I’ve always wanted to ski and see Banff. This thread has me thinkin’!
I've been twice in the fall. Once in September 2017 and again this past October. I was riding the Gondola at Lake Louise in October, looking down at the WC downhill run, thinking I need to get out here and ski. Little did I know at that time I would be out 7 weeks later. I tagged 2 days on the end of a work trip. Have IKON will travel. I want to go again now. It's so easy to get to for me. And a lot nicer than Whistler!!

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
We skied Big3 in late November. Besides the website, they also have a useful app. We stayed in Lake Louise at the chateau most of the time with our last night in the town of Banff at The Moose. Prior to this, we had only been to Banff in early fall. We loved it in both seasons. If I were to go back to ski, I would stay at the lodge at Sunshine for ski in/out access. Chateau LL is beautiful and luxurious but $$$ and Banff Springs Hotel is the same level. The Moose is a fraction of the cost and the shuttle drops off next door if you want a nice, very affordable option and you can still visit the fancy hotels. Note, the travel time is @20-30 mins to Sunshine and LL skiing from downtown Banff but less to Norquay.

Sunshine was our favorite skiing, followed by Lake Louise. We skied Norquay just to get the placard from Big3 Adventure hub that’s says you skied all three - it’s a smaller, local mountain though it has some crazy steeps (that were closed when we were there).

At the rate snow has been falling, I would think Utah may be a good bet in April and Jackson Hole projects to be open until mid April. We skied Tahoe (Squaw and Alpine) in April last year and it was fantastic because they had record snow. We’ve skied there very late season other years as well and always enjoy it - they are often open nearly into summer. Look at On the Snow for projected closing dates for 2020.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Banff is looking promising and have learned so much from all the posts. Considering staying on the mountain in Sunshine Village and just skiing there since it’s my first time and traveling solo. USD is strong there which makes going there very attractive. Alta a strong contender too....thank you all again!

Christy

Angel Diva
I would recommend staying in Banff. First, it would be a shame to miss Lake Louise (the ski area, though if you've never been to the lake that could be a worthwhile stop). It's such a pretty ski area with great terrain for all levels. You are trapped up at Sunshine. The hotel is only accessible by gondola and it doesn't run at night. The food options are very limited. Essentially it's just the hotel. No grocery, shops, etc.

alison wong

Angel Diva
100% agree with @Christy. I was going to say the same thing, she beats me to it.

How long will your trip be?

I understand SSV hotel has a minimum of 3 nights stay since it is an Easter holiday in early April.

My friend's family will be visiting Banff in early April, they will stay 3 nights in SSV hotel and then relocate to LL Inn for the remaining of their visit. If traveling solo, it'd be lots of hauling between 2 places. In your case, I'd suggest staying in one place. That one place I suggest is Banff town, it is a neat little ski town (personally, I like it more than town of Aspen when comparing the two) There are not only skiers visiting Banff, but also many non-skier tourists. It's nice to stroll around Banff Ave. after skiing, with many restaurant options to choose from for dinner. I like it a lot.

Transportation to and from mountains is really easy. If you want minimum walking to and from bus stop, select a hotel where bus stops. Bus schedules and stops are posted on skibig3 website.

You will check out SSV hotel when you visit SSV. If you ever decide to go back, you can consider to stay there.

If you do decide to stay at SSV hotel, make sure you find out the gondola hours, because that's the only means of transportation to and from hotel.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
I hear what your saying about staying at SSV hotel and basing myself in Banff. Guess I’m a bit apprehensive about not knowing all the logistics and traveling solo. I’m going to be skiing 3-4 days with a total of stay of 5-6 days. Any recommendations for hotels?

Jenny

Angel Diva
We stayed at the Banff Aspen Lodge both times we went. Smaller than the others, outdoor hot tubs, but no pool or spa services or anything like that. Bus stop next door, and good breakfast buffet included. Really wonky WiFi. But the price was right.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Guess I’m a bit apprehensive about not knowing all the logistics and traveling solo. I’m going to be skiing 3-4 days with a total of stay of 5-6 days. Any recommendations for hotels?

Totally understand. When I planned my first solo ski trip, I did research for weeks online, looking at maps and made several phone calls for logistics. 1st time always feels its a daunting task. Once you've done couple times, it became less daunting and very manageable. First few solo trips, I over planned. Now I just go w/ the flow..... figure things out as I arrive.

As I mentioned, stay on the bus route. I stayed at Mount Royal hotel, right behind the hotel is the town parking lot, where ski shuttle bus stop is located. I stayed inside the hotel lobby until I saw bus pulled into the parking lot, very convenient.
Mt Royal Hotel just had renovation (due to fire couple yrs ago), it is very nice and right on Banff Ave. in the middle of town. Location is very good. (Brewster Bus also owns Mt Royal Hotel.) Right across street is SkiBig3 office, where you can get lift tickets (if needed), pass set up...

Other hotel options: as above mentioned Banff Aspen Lodge / Inns of Banff / Ptarmigan Inn
You can also call hotel that you might interested in, find out how close the location to ski bus stops.

This is link for ski shuttle bus stops and schedules:
https://www.skibig3.com/ski-shuttle/

3 more things need to keep in mind:
1) You may need to exchange some Canadian dollars. If exchange $$ in Banff, rate might not be as good as in Calgary. But all you need is enough $ to cover your meals. In grand scheme of things, probably the difference is insignificant.
2) If you use credit card, some may charge foreign transaction fee, some don't. May need to check w/ your credit card company.
3) Cell phone. I have Verizon and it automatically charges me $10 USD per day for cell coverage when I am in Canada if I don't turn off roaming. Something to keep in mind.... may need to check w/ your cell phone carrier.

In my opinion, stay in Banff town is more convenient than staying in SSV hotel.

If you stay in SSV hotel, your transportation route will be (based on what I know):
1) From airport - take shuttle (Brewster bus or Banff Airporter) to Banff bus depot
2) from Banff bus depot to ski bus shuttle for SSV
3) Unload at SSV parking lot, get on gondola to SSV hotel.
Heading back home will be the reverse route. Likely will stop at Banff bus depot to get on different bus to Calgary airport.

If you stay in Banff town:
1) From airport - take shuttle (Brewster bus or Banff Airporter) to hotel directly or to bus depot first then change another bus to hotel.
I think Banff Airporter is door to door, whereas Brewster bus drops you off at certain designated bus stop. I know Mont Royal Hotel Town parking lot is one of Brewster bus stops.

From hotel to mountains, you get on ski shuttle bus (to SSV/LL/Norquay).

Heading back home, likely you will get on bus to Banff bus depot first, then get on another bus to Calgary airport.

Shuttle bus ticket to and from Banff, you can purchase it at Calgary airport. Consider getting round trip ticket for convenience.

One more thing: Both SSV and LL offer free mountain tours SSV is at 12 noon, about 3 hours long, light blue or dark blue groups (in terms of skiing level).
LL has one at 9:30 (?) in the morning and 1:30 (?) in the afternoon - it is called ski friends (?). It has groups range from green level to double black diamond group.
I did both tours at SSV and LL when I visited both times. It was great as I got to meet people from different places and I skied with them after the tours were finished.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna