• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone with plantar fasciitis?

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been diagnosed officially (was pretty sure that was the problem for the last couple of years). I'm trying to find some new running shoes with good arch support and haven't really been able to find much that is comfortable.

Does anyone have any good stores (chain) that might be able to work with me or does anyone have any brands that work better than others? My doctor recommended New Balance but I tried on at least four pair that were just plain uncomfortable.

He did give me some orthotics which help but man do I just HATE to wear any shoes short of my Teva Mush flip flops! :( Sadly, I'm sure they're one of the culprits. :p I wore them so much last year that a friend asked nicely if I needed to wash my feet and I said no that that was my flip-flop tan line! :ROTF:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had it for a few months a couple of years ago. Cured it by wearing orthodics all the time.

There is this "sock" to wear at night that keeps your feet flexed and the tendons and ligaments stretched while you sleep. I hear it is the miracle cure, especially for those first-step-out-of-bed pains. https://www.thesock.com/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I had a terrible time with that a few years ago. I got it from running on the treadmill at the gym. It was awful -- at first I had terrible pain in the morning, and then all the time.

At first the ortho told me to do certain exercises and treated it with orthotics. And when that didn't work, he gave me a series of steroid shots. These didn't get rid of it, either. Then he prescribed a brace to keep my foot flexed while I slept. And when THAT didn't work, he put me in a (walking) cast for a month. That actually did it.

I don't dare do any high impact stuff anymore. No running. Instead, I do the elliptical or swim at the gym. Skiing is fine (whew!).

I hope this doesn't sound too discouraging. PF isn't fun, but everyone is different; shoes may just do the trick for you. Hope so.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, everyone is different. What worked for me was a combination of the night sock and being very rigorous about my footwear, and playing tennis on soft surfaces (clay) as much as possible.

The first thing is to never ever go barefoot, and never ever go without arch support. My slippers are the boiled wool cork bedded German kind ... and I wear Birkenstocks and Danskos unless I have reason not to. I don't wear them 100% of the time -- I still actually own attractive shoes -- but if I'm not in need of looking good, I wear the ugly ones.

I haven't had a flare-up in a while, so I do wear flip-flops on occasion, but I bought some Chacos and try to wear those for most of my casual wear. Yes, $50 for flip-flops is ridiculous, but you can find last year's models for cheaper online. I bought a couple of pairs for half price on the REI outlet, and Sierra Trading Post has them sometimes.

For shoes that won't fit normal orthotics, like ballet flats or even heels or slingbacks, I have some very thin, flesh colored, hard plastic supports from Good Feet. Those are lifesavers.

I don't run, ie jog, but I play tennis. Different kind of running. I started with the cushioned Spenco footbeds (with arch support), and those were good enough for me. I didn't need to step up to custom.

Also, don't let your athletic shoes wear out -- from the inside. The midsole breaks down before the outer part does. You can't see it, but you will learn to feel it. If the rubber in your sole is wearing through, it's too late.

There is a lot on the internet about pf, because it SUCKS. Good luck!! The best course is just to try everything. But definitely, while it's still hurting, don't let your soles touch the ground without support!!!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a terrible time with that a few years ago. I got it from running on the treadmill at the gym. It was awful -- at first I had terrible pain in the morning, and then all the time.

At first the ortho told me to do certain exercises and treated it with orthotics. And when that didn't work, he gave me a series of steroid shots. These didn't get rid of it, either. Then he prescribed a brace to keep my foot flexed while I slept. And when THAT didn't work, he put me in a (walking) cast for a month. That actually did it.

I don't dare do any high impact stuff anymore. No running. Instead, I do the elliptical or swim at the gym. Skiing is fine (whew!).

I hope this doesn't sound too discouraging. PF isn't fun, but everyone is different; shoes may just do the trick for you. Hope so.

:faint: I hope mine isn't as resiliant as that! :doh: I'm glad you got it "under control" though.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks girls! I'm off to check out some of the things recommended.

So Birkies can be worn by some? I was just devastated at the thought of no sandals. I've been wearing my tennis shoes all day and it's miserable! I can't stand that closed feeling on my feet (much less the heat). :doh:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, one other thing ... on the tennis forum I read, New Balance shoes have been associated with higher instances of pf. Purely anecdotal, of course, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Shoes are very individual things ... do you have a store nearby that does a gait analysis? Check this website for what I mean: Boulder Running Company

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. For me & other women I know, it seems to occur at greater frequency AFTER child birth. Even more so with those who nurse. Suspect joint/ligament loosening hormones have a lot to do with it. Not backed up by any studies as there are none for those specific circs.

Footbeds are a real key. Superfeet & Down Under cut to fit & put them in your most worn shoes. Size them by how the arch hits you, not by shoe size. That is why they are cut to fit... Heel to arch sizing. Find a knowledgeable shoe place if possible. Last year after skiing I couldn't walk the next day for the first 30 mintues. This year I had custom footbeds for my ski boots & put in 40 + days with not one moment of pain.

Pinto has good advice. You can find more info online. Dealing with it now can take care of most instances for the future. It does occasionally reoccur if you don't take care. This condition is how a person feels 100+ years old when they wake up & put their feet on the floor when they aren't even 40 yet. Walkin' like a cripple for 20 minutes. Footbeds, no barefootedness, frozen water bottles you knead your feeet on, and custom footbeds for skiboots will pretty much fix it. Watch out for Dr's. who want to inject you with cortizone shots before trying all else first. It can, for some, eat away at the fat on the bottom of your feet. Not good, you need that cushion for your bones.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The podiatrist I found said he likes to save injections until other things have failed. He started with motrin/naproxen twice a day, every day for three weeks. He also wants me to stretch, ice, and use the orthotics he gave me. I SO hope this works. :redface: I don't seem to have any problems while skiing so I guess that's good. I do have problems with my second toe on the left cramping and he said that there is quite a bit of arthritis in that one. :noidea:

That is SO interesting about the pregnancy and nursing! :eek: I pumped with my first for 10 weeks, nursed my second one for 16 months, and nursed my third one for 2 1/2 years! :redface: :rolleyes:

I hope something works. I just want to be able to wear sandals again. I am SO bad about going barefoot and we have our entire downstairs is hardwood. :faint: I can't stand wearing my tennis shoes all the time. :confused:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. For me & other women I know, it seems to occur at greater frequency AFTER child birth. Even more so with those who nurse. Suspect joint/ligament loosening hormones have a lot to do with it. Not backed up by any studies as there are none for those specific circs. ....

I was "the perfect storm" candidate when I got it: I had just weaned my second baby ... we had moved to So Cal and when I wasn't wearing flip-flops on our tile floors, I was barefoot at the pool or playing tennis on hard courts that I later learned were particularly hard (something about the construction).

So I believe it!

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The podiatrist I found said he likes to save injections until other things have failed. He started with motrin/naproxen twice a day, every day for three weeks. He also wants me to stretch, ice, and use the orthotics he gave me. I SO hope this works. :redface: I don't seem to have any problems while skiing so I guess that's good. I do have problems with my second toe on the left cramping and he said that there is quite a bit of arthritis in that one. :noidea:

That is SO interesting about the pregnancy and nursing! :eek: I pumped with my first for 10 weeks, nursed my second one for 16 months, and nursed my third one for 2 1/2 years! :redface: :rolleyes:

I hope something works. I just want to be able to wear sandals again. I am SO bad about going barefoot and we have our entire downstairs is hardwood. :faint: I can't stand wearing my tennis shoes all the time. :confused:

Seems like your Dr. is treating appropriately. BE DILIGENT with not going barefoot for at least 3 months. Then see how it goes.

Now, I really have to say, what's with the redface & eyerolling emoticons ? Good on you for getting so good at nursing your child that you bucked prevalant societal pressures for 2 1/2 years. So did I , I knew it was best for my child & I am very proud of it & I worked fulltime at the time. Stop the eye rolling ! You did good & applaud yourself. I certainly applaud you for doing what's right. I'm sure you got a lot of pressure the whole time. Your heart knows you did right. So does your child. If you lived anywhere else than the U.S. it would simply be what you do as a mom. You'd be embarrassed to bottle feed your kid in South America. Or think it was a status thing. Sooo,,, GOOD JOB !

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep. Showed up with me in full force just after I weaned my son. What a cripple I was ! Other mothers with children the same age had weaned theirs earlier & had already been dealing with it. So I had the benefit of their variety of experiences.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marge, you will be able to wear sandals again. You will just have to be very discriminating in the types & builds & supportiveness of sandals you wear. No Walmart flipflops this year. Concrete slabs, sidewalks etc are the worst. California homes are built on slabs for the most part so you have lucked out with hardwood in your home. But just don't go barefoot for awhile. Get the $25.00 DownUnders & cut them to fit the shoes you wear that don't fit what the Dr. gave you. It gets better. But,,,, it does take a long time for your body to clear out those hormones & then, well, we all get older & things change anyhow.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
DH had it for awhile. Good orthotics and footbeds (he likes Shock Doctor) and no more running did it for him (he was a distance runner for years). Also never goes barefoot.

Here's a good source of products, PF is specifically listed:
https://www.footsmart.com/default.aspx

Jenny

Angel Diva
I just want to be able to wear sandals again.

I found my Naot sandals extremely comfortable - wore them all day at an art fair on the cement and didn't have any problem with my foot afterwards. I have narrow feet so Birkenstocks don't really fit me - at least all the ones I've tried. They just so wide they look silly on me.

I was diagnosed with PF after the birth of my second child and simply did some stretching exercises when I awoke and tried to wear supportive shoes as much as possible and the condition went away and never returned. :smile:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The advice about not going barefoot is right on. Not even in the house. Invest in a pair of Birkenstocks so you can easily get them on and off. In some of the runner's catalogs, such as road runner sports, they have some different devices that strectch your calves and achilles area - invest in one of those and use it several times a day. Also, try and find a running store that has knowledgable sales people who are runners. Some of the specialty running stores will have a treadmill and video camera where they watch how your foot hits the ground in different shoes. I would avoid the chain stores as many of their salespeople do not have the experience and knowledge to put you in the right shoe.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found my Naot sandals extremely comfortable - wore them all day at an art fair on the cement and didn't have any problem with my foot afterwards. I have narrow feet so Birkenstocks don't really fit me - at least all the ones I've tried. They just so wide they look silly on me.

Yeah, I have to wear narrows, and they are still a little floppy.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You guys are fabulous!!! Thanks for all the wonderful tips. I've already ordered a pair of the Chacos from REI. We'll see how they go. I just can't stand socks and shoes. I feel like I'm suffocating. :redface:

I've been good today. I'll try to keep it up.

InTheClouds: Thanks for the wonderful praise. :love: You're very kind. It WAS one of the most wonderful times of my life and I will never get it back. :( Sometimes even I'm embarrased to tell "others" how long it lasted though. :laugh:

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marge - I had PF a few years ago when I was coming back from surgery on my ankle (sprained it running) :( It was mild though. I had a great sports doc who also recommended filling a water bottle with water and keeping it in the freezer. After a run or when you have been on your feet alot roll your arch over it for 15-20 min.

I rarely go barefoot - too afraid of stubbing a toe so I can't ski or run :nono:

I also have custom orthodics that I wear in my running shoes only. I slip them under the insole the shoes come with. You need to buy your shoes a half size larger if you do - at least that is what I have found. I lost a few toenails before I figured that out. I swear by the Mizuno Wave Creations - a neutral cushioned shoe but everyone is different. Try the Road Runner Sports website. Their customer sevice folks are also very helpful https://www.roadrunnersports.com/

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna