• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone with Nordic racing experience

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I signed my daughter up for a Nordic team just to try something new. She only has a few days on Nordic skis. (She kind of maxed out age appropriate alpine ski school (was in learn to flirt 101 with teenagers last time we put her in ski school as she’s in the highest level) and doesn’t want to race). There are five other girls her age on the team- which should be good.

Looking for tips on making it fun for a 9yo.

Also anything on gear/ fueling to make it comfortable would be awesome.
She will be doing both classic and skate.

I raced in high school - just to fill the Nordic team while alpine racing. So I can really poorly skate ski.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to race and still have my L2 Nordic it is fun, getting your technique down is important.
I still LOVE to classic ski. I skate ski but go fast and get too cold!

I have a pair of classic Peltonen skis no waxing required. Makes it so much easier
Get Good Boots. I have classic boots but they have a stiff cuff so I can skate ski in them.

I hope they have some lessons to help w/form especially on the uphills!
Just gliding thru the woods is so peaceful! I hope she has fun, it's excellent cross training
for down hill skiing, XC skiing requires A lot of Balance!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have pulled me out of lurking to reply... I raced XC from 8th grade (in MN) through college (in CO) and hope your daughter has a wonderful time on her team!

It’s been some years since then but things I remember—

On waxable skis—waxing parties were always a nice social time with teammates. And really 9 is probably old enough she can learn—I started my 8 year old with the iron last season. Just watch for smoking and have her keep it moving on the base. Plus older teammates always showed the youngers in a mentoring role.

Second the good boots rec. Combi (skate/classic) are pretty good for starting, they may be too stiff if she really decides she loves classic but it’s easier to learn in a more supportive boot. Some classic boots just feel floppy until you have developed good balance/technique. Esp if it’s icy it makes classic less fun.

Skis—be sure she can set the kick wax pocket on classic skis easily or it gets frustrating. We used the piece of paper underneath method back in the day. I’m sure there are videos. A separate pair of skis with only glide wax for skating will reduce the amount of wax remover you run though.

Uphill technique/endurance—side to side uphill bounding dryland is great to help this from being an energy suck on skis. When you get tired on skis change poling side (if skating) or rhythm to find a little more energy.

Balance—the old stand on one foot with your eyes closed drill was a coach favorite.

As I have started downhill skiing (last year was my first real season) one big difference I feel in my own skiing is keeping your skis on the snow. She might have the opposite situation as me but I am definitely in the habit of picking up my feet and putting them where I want them, turns on XC are lots of little one leg other leg hops as opposed to carving.

I am sure I’ll think of more to share too. Again I hope she has a great season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly