• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone ski Bogus Basin?

Christy

Angel Diva
How difficult / treacherous is the drive from Boise, ID to Tamarack and Brundage? @mcmary post (#9) above mentioned it is character building. That sounds stressful..... is it white knuckle / anxiety inducing type of driving?

Wasn't she describing the road to Bogus, which is a local road? McCall (close to the other resorts) is a big vacation home destination for people in ID and WA. I know the highway has its twists and turns but given how well travelled it is, I can't imagine it's anything to worry about. You'd want to check the Idaho DOT site of course before driving.

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
How difficult / treacherous is the drive from Boise, ID to Tamarack and Brundage? @mcmary post (#9) above mentioned it is character building. That sounds stressful..... is it white knuckle / anxiety inducing type of driving?
Brundage and Tamarack are about a two hour drive from Boise up highway 55. It’s a typical two lane mountain highway. If the road is covered in snow and ice it can be stressful but I’d say the same for any mountain road.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@mcmary : while we're talking about it, how is the road to Bogus Basin in the winter? It's on the Indy Pass too. I'm not headed to Idaho this season, but have thought about the idea of a ski safari starting in Boise for a few years. Southwest flies to Boise. :smile:

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
@mcmary : while we're talking about it, how is the road to Bogus Basin in the winter? It's on the Indy Pass too. I'm not headed to Idaho this season, but have thought about the idea of a ski safari starting in Boise for a few years. Southwest flies to Boise. :smile:
The road to Bogus is 16 miles of switchbacks and turns. They do plow and sand it if there’s a storm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The road to Bogus is 16 miles of switchbacks and turns. They do plow and sand it if there’s a storm.
What would you say the average speed is during the winter on those 16 miles? 20 MPH or 30MPH?

The last time I drove on a mountain road I was unfamiliar with in a rental SUV was to/from Santa Fe. The road up from the town isn't that long. But there was still ice in all the shady corners although the previous snowfall had been something like a week before. Going up was fine. It was going down that was a bit more nerve wracking.

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
What would you say the average speed is during the winter on those 16 miles? 20 MPH or 30MPH?

The last time I drove on a mountain road I was unfamiliar with in a rental SUV was to/from Santa Fe. The road up from the town isn't that long. But there was still ice in all the shady corners although the previous snowfall had been something like a week before. Going up was fine. It was going down that was a bit more nerve wracking.
Speed varies both up and down depending on the curves and the road conditions. 30 is probably the average. The drive usually takes about 45 minutes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Speed varies both up and down depending on the curves and the road conditions. 30 is probably the average. The drive usually takes about 45 minutes.
Thanks! Added to my notes about Idaho.

Not only does Southwest fly to Boise, it's only about a 4 hour drive from SLC. We did the drive to Sun Valley on the same day as flying into SLC one time, also about 4 hours. Helps to have a ski buddy who is willing to drive from his home (NM) and provides not only a fully equipped "ski car"(two ski boxes) but also has lots of experience driving in snowy conditions. Although that trip we were very lucky and it was a blue sky day in both directions.

By the way, with just a few more posts you'll have 25. That's what you need in order to see all the Divas Only sections and threads, including Meet On The Hill. Who knows, this winter might be when some people will consider flying to Boise for a ski trip away farther away from big cities.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly