• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone seen "Slalom," the movie?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone seen a new movie called "Slalom?" It's about a young girl who attends a boarding school in the Swiss Alps, where she has joined an elite ski team led by a coach who abuses the women in his charge. You can read a review here.

It's not available on streaming yet, but I'd love to see it. Has anyone been able to?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks super heavy, and thus important to us women in general. I hope it treats the subject matter of women, especially younger athletes, being taken sexually and emotionally advantage of well and with honesty. I hope to watch it once it is out.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@snoWYmonkey ... I agree it’s important and at the same time, I read the review and got so sad. There are just so many forces at work to hurt the vulnerable that it feels super heavy.

I may have to wait.
To be fair, I watched the HBO documentary about Larry Nasser at Michigan State last year and wanted to punch people, so I might need to just chill out a bit.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Iwannaski I completely understand your point of view. A bit how I feel about our inhumane food industry practices.

The education for those who are not in the know is valuable. Too much repetition of a message we are already in tune with can be unhealthy.

Finding ways to have a positive impact can help with the dark realities of our human existence.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
you’re right... it’s a balance. I probably spend too much time thinking about this stuff. So I pick a few things and do work on the most powerful levers I can find to address them.

I also know lots of people who don’t spend any time on it. I guess that’s when I struggle.

I do appreciate knowing these things exist, though, so @ski diva thank you for sharing it!

newboots

Angel Diva
I worked for a decade with people with horrific histories of abuse - sexual, physical, even a Holocaust survivor. It was not good for me (a mixed practice is a much better idea than a trauma practice). I was terrified for my daughter, who was in preschool when I began that job. I had nightmares.

I can't watch movies that show abuse. I remember watching Bastard Out of Carolina and simply leaving the room during a rape-of-child scene. It was a powerful movie, well-made, but it was all too real to me.

I think it's important for us to know about what is so wrong in the world, but protect ourselves from too much exposure to the horror. I wish I had known that 30 years ago!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna