• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone notice any new ski trends this season?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure what is more stupid? Styling ones hair to show some of it off (I paid my dues to earn my silvers and while my body shape is clearly female, I am stoked to show off my age, which only my hair color does when dressed to ski) or complaining about about how stupid the look is and bashing on those who choose it?
It looks cute on most/many. The only time it looks "stupid" to me is when the strands are so thick or long that they clearly obstruct the wearer's vision.

The question with the unknowable answer is "who came up with the term 'slut strands' a male or female?" That makes a difference to me.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm not fond of the use of slut in any context, but I think there's a big difference between calling oneself a (for example) pants slut as a joking reference and the way the term slut strands implies the woman with the hairdo is a slut.

At the risk of offending the naysayers, I love my slut strands but also hate the commonly unacceptable name for them.
Oh, I am not fond of the term either. That said, the young women I know who sport the hair style seemingly have no issue with it.

Reactions: AJM

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
I sport the strands! Really the only downside is getting icicles on them and then I do worry if it's unhealthy for my hair. But my nose and around my mouth are similarly getting punished by the weather, so I'm sure the hair can handle it too. I generally try not to judge anyone for what they want to wear, particularly younger women because they get so much of it already. I was a young woman once too, and I always hated being under a microscope and judged for wearing things that were fun and let me express myself (you really get sick of people feigning concern and asking if you're cold :rolleyes:). Now that I'm older I try not to tsk-tsk women who are younger than me, even if I don't get it (like the super low rise baggy jeans dragging through the dirt with a tiny crop top thing! or crocs!)

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a horrible name for a cute hairstyle. I won't rock it myself because I am too annoyed by hair getting in my face, even with goggles. So you can find me with a french braid and a headband to keep the baby hairs away, as my helmet alone isn't effective if it's windy.

I have noticed an uptick in neons. A few brands make neon pink, coral, or orange--mostly pants, it seems. They're the bright light in the drab. My husband was especially disappointed with how drab the men's clothing options are.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I'm older I try not to tsk-tsk women who are younger than me, even if I don't get it (like the super low rise baggy jeans dragging through the dirt with a tiny crop top thing! or crocs!)
This was me in the 90s when this was popular the first time. Bottoms of the jeans always got soaked anytime it was wet outside. lol

Jenny

Angel Diva
This was me in the 90s when this was popular the first time. Bottoms of the jeans always got soaked anytime it was wet outside. lol
My pants have never been long enough to drag in the dirt, lol!

(That said, I actually DO have one pair of sweats that I got at a tall girl shop that are multiple inches too long, and I refuse to hem them because I love stepping on them! They're inside only, though.)

shadoj

Angel Diva
What a horrible name for a cute hairstyle. I won't rock it myself because I am too annoyed by hair getting in my face, even with goggles. So you can find me with a french braid and a headband to keep the baby hairs away, as my helmet alone isn't effective if it's windy.

I have noticed an uptick in neons. A few brands make neon pink, coral, or orange--mostly pants, it seems. They're the bright light in the drab. My husband was especially disappointed with how drab the men's clothing options are.
Also not crazy on the name, though the style's been around a long time... never knew. Not so great in the young-girl body image context (though I can just laugh and sigh, since I'm over 40). Certainly prefer the trend of the sporty, carefree natural look as "feminine," over gobs of makeup and perfume!

I have neon yellow pants waiting for next season (note coat in my profile photo). Bright colors = happiness!

PamGoodley

Certified Ski Diva
This year I bought a new jacket and pants. I wanted a teal jacket and found a Patagonia Powder jacket online through REI, then picked up Arc'teryx dusty blue pants at a local Truckee business. (Would have liked to find a warm teal jacket at a local store over going through a large business; alas, couldn't find the jacket locally). I like being visible on the slopes (safety, not vanity). A few weeks ago I saw a woman with royal purple pants and a bright lime green jacket. Loved the color combo. She said it makes it easier for her husband and kids to find her! Last night I ordered some royal purple pants on sale online. Now in search of the right lime green jacket.
My guess on the trend of the fur (hopefully faux) and narrow-fit pants is driven by social media and some of the "influencers" at any level. Get the fashion, then plan where to stage the photos.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, how things come full circle. This was me in the 70's. Same look, same issues.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I'm seeing a lot of the DOPE and Montec suits on the younger generation. I guess it's fashionable and cheap. And I will admit that I like some of the colour combinations.

But drab - so much black. Even in Quebec where people like colour!
Everyone that I have met with Montec, Dope love them. They run generous in sizing too.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone that I have met with Montec, Dope love them. They run generous in sizing too.
I just looked up these manufacturers. Their jackets are predominantly anoraks.

Why do people choose anorak jackets? There's no zipper. You have to pull it off over your head at lunch. That seems to me to be an uncomfortable thing to do. I am open minded and hope someone can convince me this is no big deal, and that there's an advantage to not having a zipper on the ski jacket.

OK, this is interesting. I just looked up the meaning of "anorak." I find definitions saying any jacket with a hood, used in extreme cold temps. That's not the common usage I've come to know. I've always thought it means a jacket with a 1/2 or 3/4 zipper, not a full zipper.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just looked up these manufacturers. Their jackets are predominantly anoraks.

Why do people choose anorak jackets? There's no zipper. You have to pull it off over your head at lunch. That seems to me to be an uncomfortable thing to do. I am open minded and hope someone can convince me this is no big deal, and that there's an advantage to not having a zipper on the ski jacket.

OK, this is interesting. I just looked up the meaning of "anorak." I find definitions saying any jacket with a hood, used in extreme cold temps. That's not the common usage I've come to know. I've always thought it means a jacket with a 1/2 or 3/4 zipper, not a full zipper.
A woman in my Taos clinic has this in light blue! Really cute

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
I think they keep you warmer and have more pockets, and most importantly, they look cool! But I agree that the part about having to pull it over your head when you're wet or covered in snow, tired, have a helmet and goggles on, and maybe in a crowded lodge/cramped bathroom stall or locker room/or in your car, sounds not so great to me.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
--More ski bikes
--weird devices like flat boards with rough top surface for sliding head first down the hill -- like a sled without rails. What could go wrong?
--onesies---Tigger and jammies usually on a young guy who has no shame

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Oh, and I almost forgot…did anyone who went to Taos notice the “skate/ski boarder”? Looks like a skateboard with no, yup no leash. I met the guy trying to market it. Hmmm sounds like a literal headache. Can you imagine falling off and 1) having to chase it but 2) more importantly having it fly into a skier

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Colors are more muted, except for some of the onesie trends. Furry ruffs on hoods, too, for peak retro ski bunny.

I think the slut strands look cute on others but with my hair they're either very oddly placed rabbinical curls or fluffy peripheral vision obscuring frizz.

Jilly

Staff member
Oh, and I almost forgot…did anyone who went to Taos notice the “skate/ski boarder”? Looks like a skateboard with no, yup no leash. I met the guy trying to market it. Hmmm sounds like a literal headache. Can you imagine falling off and 1) having to chase it but 2) more importantly having it fly into a skier
The shop I used to work at had them for sale. They actually had a name, but it escapes me right now. It was like ski skate. The platform was elevated above the "ski" part.

I know they weren't allowed on the hill at the same time as skier/riders.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and I almost forgot…did anyone who went to Taos notice the “skate/ski boarder”?
I definitely saw one at Sierra-at-Tahoe last weekend. Pretty sure I saw one at Kirkwood the weekend before. That really needs a leash, although maybe it'll just fall over and stop since the skateboard deck part is way wider than the ski bit.

I also saw a runaway snowboard last weekend. I guess snowboarders aren't using leashes anymore, either (they used to be required).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna