• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone know why Whistler Blackcomb closed?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
WB put out a message today on social media:

"We were just informed today by the Province of British Columbia that Whistler Blackcomb has been ordered to close as of midnight tonight. We would like to thank all of our guests & employees for their willingness to adapt to our COVID safety protocols we put in place this season."

i'd love to know why they were singled out in a province of 36 mountain resorts. Obviously, they're the biggest. But was there an outbreak or a threat specific to WB?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
From CTV news:
VANCOUVER -- The popular Whistler Blackcomb ski resort has been temporarily closed amid another spike in COVID-19 cases in the surrounding community.

B.C. health officials said there's been a surge in coronavirus transmission linked to people travelling within the province in recent weeks, and that includes trips to Whistler, which spent the early months of 2021 battling an explosion in cases.

"We know people have taken advantage of the weather and the March break to go places with their families, and what that has meant is we've seen a rapid rise in cases as people have returned to their home communities," Dr. Bonnie Henry said.

The provincial health officer did not reveal how many new cases have emerged at Whistler, but did reference a "worrisome cluster" involving the P.1 variant of concern associated with Brazil. On top of being more easily transmissible, there are concerns that variant may be partially resistant to COVID-19 antibodies.

Whistler Blackcomb ski resort is expected to remain closed until April 19. Given B.C.'s troubling case numbers, Henry discouraged non-essential travel of any kind.

She also announced a slew of other restrictions Monday, including a halt on group fitness activities and a temporary ban on indoor dining at restaurants.

Restaurants will still be allowed to serve people on patios and offer takeout under that measure, which is also set to last until April 19.

Jilly

Staff member
Hot spot.

"The provincial health officer did not reveal how many new cases have emerged at Whistler, but did reference a "worrisome cluster" involving the P.1 variant of concern associated with Brazil. On top of being more easily transmissible, there are concerns that variant may be partially resistant to COVID-19 antibodies."

kiki

Angel Diva
I think it is due to the party atmosphere at the pubs and in staff housing at WB. There has still been a lot of “après” happening. In contrast our small local mountains people go and ski and then go home. They take their kids there for the lessons and then go home. Most don’t eat on mountain. People who work on the mountain normally live very nearby in the community with their families. So the other ski hills are not big party generators. I don’t think the issue with our numbers is due to skiing or WB but for some reason it became a target in the recent set of rules.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not convinced shutting WB but leaving all the other BC ski hills open over a holiday period is such a great way to stop the virus from spreading through the province. I think it has to be shut one, shut all unfortunately - in the absence of an effectively enforced travel ban.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I’ve already told my kids to expect schools to shut down in about 2-3 weeks, based on what we’re hearing about other families’ spring break plans.

It’s hard because I know families that are going to places like Florida and Texas and then I know families who don’t even let their kids play with other kids outside without masks. BIG range of choices. I know everyone has different risk profiles, but I really wish we could just accept the realities of public health and have some consistent and relevant NATIONAL guidelines.

Which it sounds like Canada could use as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Biden yesterday even urged people to stop unnecessary travel because rates are going up again and they are blaming a lot of it on travel increasing to pre-Covid levels. Especially people traveling back and forth to places with less restrictions than others. Also urged states that are reopening so quickly to reconsider and keep mask mandates.

Unfortunately I think it’s all falling on deaf ears. People are just done, letting their guard down, and hellbent on getting out now, especially if vaccinated.

I’m not sure there is any putting it back in the box at this point here, and Canada is so behind on vaccinating that it’s an even worse issue there at this point..

Jilly

Staff member
I'm not convinced shutting WB but leaving all the other BC ski hills open over a holiday period is such a great way to stop the virus from spreading through the province. I think it has to be shut one, shut all unfortunately - in the absence of an effectively enforced travel ban.

The issue is that people leave Vancouver and travel to WB. Also the school break just ended and now people that were there, are travelling. Add in a holiday weekend coming up. The neighbouring province - Alberta will be starting their spring break. And the partying just hasn't stopped. The rest of the ski resorts are not nearly as big or draw as many people as WB.

Tremblant and Laurentians have the same issue with Montreal. That is why they have never been taken out of a red zone.

So it reset time. We in Ontario are heading in the same direction. Our local health unit just shut down all short term rentals, unless it's a health reason. Indoor dining is limited to 5 people per table. No loud music, etc. And if you are not from the 2 counties, then no spa days, no hair cuts, no food service.

And vaccines are super super slow. Ontario is just starting to inoculate the 75+ crowd that were not in nursing or retirement care homes. Non essential medical, like Chiro, RMT's etc are on the list now too. I figure it'll be May before my 1st shot.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm concerned now that if the Ontario spring breakers can't go to WB, they'll flock to Tremblant. And then I worry that if that looks like it would be a problem, Tremblant could be shut down early. (Just my personal worry...) I gather there's talk of changing spring break dates? That would be good. Off topic, but my 71-year-old sister in Ontario finally got a vaccination appointment for April 14. I think Quebec is now down to 60 in Montreal and 65 elsewhere. Everyone around here seems very pleased with the whole process.

Jilly

Staff member
As of today, Ontario break stays as scheduled for April. So that is the last week Tremblant is open.
Ontario will probably be shut down by then......

Christy

Angel Diva
Biden yesterday even urged people to stop unnecessary travel because rates are going up again and they are blaming a lot of it on travel increasing to pre-Covid levels. Especially people traveling back and forth to places with less restrictions than others. Also urged states that are reopening so quickly to reconsider and keep mask mandates.

Unfortunately I think it’s all falling on deaf ears. People are just done, letting their guard down, and hellbent on getting out now, especially if vaccinated.

I’m not sure there is any putting it back in the box at this point here, and Canada is so behind on vaccinating that it’s an even worse issue there at this point..

Judging by the hugely increased level of airplane traffic over my house; the number of retired people that I know that got their shots and took off for Kauai (my neighbor behind me is spending the whole month there); and the two FB photos I saw yesterday from other friends that were from packed planes, yes indeedy people are traveling.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Everyone just be super cautious, please, the week or two after spring break. My poor kids are going to have to deal with my neurotic, germaphobe a**. Thank goodness we’ll at least have the adults 75% vaxxed in the house.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna