• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone here ski AND snowboard?

noprobllama

Certified Ski Diva
Hey ladies! I know we're mainly geared towards skiing but curious how many of y'all also snowboard?

I've been skiing for awhile and have been curious about trying to learn how to snowboard this season because it's never too late to learn something new! How did you find the learning curve and how long did it take you to get somewhat proficient with it (can get down greens and blues with not much difficulty)? Being able to do both do you find you have a preference towards one or the other? I'm thinking about springing for a few lessons later in the season since some local resorts offer decent deals on lift/lesson/rental packages. Love to hear you divas chime in on this :smile:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski and snowboard, but prefer skiing now. I snowboarded for 12 years before switching over due to multiple injuries/aging joints, and I find skiing much easier on my knees now.
To me, snowboarding was harder to learn but easier to progress than skiing. It took me 2 seasons of part-time riding to link turns and ride down CA blues with ease, and another season to ride in style and good technique. When I made the switch to skis, I was an advanced snowboarder already so the transition was quite smooth since I was already comfortable on snow with speed. I can still switch between the two but it cannot be on the same day.
I’d definitely take some lessons to learn to fall correctly. I didn’t learn with any wrist/knee guards/butt pads so not sure if those offer any protection, but I spent a lot of time on my knees and butt that I think a good pair of pants is necessary.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What @Susan L said! It took me about 3 to 4 full days to start riding easy blues. I was young and a telemarker at the time. Soft snow is key for less pain during learning process as much time is spent on knees and behind!

I sorta suck at it as I broke some ribs against my own hip maybe 6 seasons in. I only would ride a handful of days each season.

Wish I had perfected the skills enough to ride deep pow. Now i have fat skis instead and am feeling much happier keeping up with the hard charging snowboarders on big days.

Have fun with it!

CTskigrrl

Certified Ski Diva
Yes! I LOVE(d) snowboarding. It's how I ended up skiing again. The learning curve was steep but I felt like it was easier/faster to progress in snowboarding than in skiing. Once you can link a turn and slide toe and heelside, you can pretty much get down any groomer, and that's something you can perfect in a single season or a couple lessons. Bumps are trickier to navigate on a board than skis but a snowboard in powder is bliss! I don't love being completely blind on one side, so skiing feels safer especially when the slopes are crowded. Learning however, was a literal pain in the butt. Butt/hip pads were a lifesaver those first couple seasons. Don't be too proud to wear them lol. I did both for many years but now that I'm navigating the mountain with my kids, skiing makes that so much easier. I haven't been back on a board since.

Jilly

Staff member
I took a snowboard lesson and decided that the learning curve was too painful!! I'll stick to my sticks.

But it did bring back to me what a beginner skier must feel like. So that was a good thing.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I snowboard as much as I ski. Generally, split my season approx. 50-50. I can't speak to the learning curve, as I learned when I was 12, and skied prior to that. I started switching between the two after a 12-year hiatus from skis.

My first few years (probably 5-6 years) when I got back on skis, I didn't push myself much because I didn't want to be limited. I could ride the whole mountain on a snowboard but wasn't that comfortable on skis. So I think the learning curve will also depend on how dedicated you are to learning the sport. Are you willing to skip a powder day on skis to get better on the snowboard? There's nothing wrong if your answer is, "no, I'll be on skis for all of the best days", as long as you understand splitting time between the two gives you less practice time.

I choose my days on the hill based on snow conditions (I mainly snowboard on powder days, and skis are always better on firm icy days). I ride with a good mix of skiers and snowboarders, so sometimes I'll choose based on who I'm with. Skis and snowboards have different strengths and weaknesses, so it's easier to be in the same mindset if you're with people on the same equipment. Then of course, some mountains are better on skis, others on snowboards.

I'll echo other's thoughts on choosing a nice soft day to learn. Not necessarily powder, but soft conditions. As for the sore butt comments...in Japan, these are very popular :becky:

1673964918021.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
I snowboard as much as I ski. Generally, split my season approx. 50-50. I can't speak to the learning curve, as I learned when I was 12, and skied prior to that. I started switching between the two after a 12-year hiatus from skis.

My first few years (probably 5-6 years) when I got back on skis, I didn't push myself much because I didn't want to be limited. I could ride the whole mountain on a snowboard but wasn't that comfortable on skis. So I think the learning curve will also depend on how dedicated you are to learning the sport. Are you willing to skip a powder day on skis to get better on the snowboard? There's nothing wrong if your answer is, "no, I'll be on skis for all of the best days", as long as you understand splitting time between the two gives you less practice time.

I choose my days on the hill based on snow conditions (I mainly snowboard on powder days, and skis are always better on firm icy days). I ride with a good mix of skiers and snowboarders, so sometimes I'll choose based on who I'm with. Skis and snowboards have different strengths and weaknesses, so it's easier to be in the same mindset if you're with people on the same equipment. Then of course, some mountains are better on skis, others on snowboards.

I'll echo other's thoughts on choosing a nice soft day to learn. Not necessarily powder, but soft conditions. As for the sore butt comments...in Japan, these are very popular :becky:

View attachment 20073
Haha I’ve seen the butt turtle but not the knees.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

View attachment 20073
Every time I see these I feel envious and want them. Anyway I see that Jilly tagged me but elemmac basically covered all that I would have said.

I’m an adult learner to both and definitely spend more time on skis than a snowboard (which I learned first) lately because I’m trying to bring my skiing up to the level of my snowboarding, which is nothing special, but I have fun.

It is easier to tour on skis but nothing beats floating on pow on a board.

@echo_VT is also a dual sport diva and teaches both.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I snowboarded from about age 12-23. I grew up skiing and when snowboards came out I switched over. This was 1990 or so. I made the switch back to skis when the parabolic/shaped skis we are all used to now came out. I love carving and befire shaped skis it wasn’t really possible to do on skis but was tons of fun in a board. I haven’t snowboarded for years but imagine I could remember if I tried. One of the biggest reasons I have stuck with skiing is that I find I have the ability to see others on the slope in the position you stand on skis. Standing sideways on the board makes it tough to see behind you and when turning that direction it can be dangerous on a crowded slope.

I agree with the others, snowboarding is rough the first few days but you can progress you blues quicker than a new skier can. Those turtle but pads are super common here in Southern California. I think I have seen other animals as well.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How did you find the learning curve and how long did it take you to get somewhat proficient with it (can get down greens and blues with not much difficulty)? Being able to do both do you find you have a preference towards one or the other?
2 seasons now, but only just coming up to the full 14 days on snow I was informed by my cousin (who also learned as an adult around a similar age) I'd need to start becoming more competent. I've had 2 individual lessons on the indoor slope, 1 group and 2 family private lessons. I still can't get down some blue runs easily. My preference is to ski on good snow days, and board when it's less good unless it's icy in which case skis again! Sometimes I take both up and do half a day on each.

As for the sore butt comments...in Japan, these are very popular
I have one! But it's the kid's size - seen here on an adult male. Many beginners to lower intermediates wear them at the larger resorts. IMG_20230123_095839.jpg

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never seen the knee turtles! I've seen Several butt turtles and a teddy bear. He was wearing it like a backpack while in motion and would move it when he needed it to sit on.
I've only snowboarded just a couple times as a kid. I had no idea what I was doing and didnt like it. I want to try again now that I have lots of friends who snowboard who'd probably help me out

WILDRWilliams

Diva in Training
Hey ladies! I know we're mainly geared towards skiing but curious how many of y'all also snowboard?

I've been skiing for awhile and have been curious about trying to learn how to snowboard this season because it's never too late to learn something new! How did you find the learning curve and how long did it take you to get somewhat proficient with it (can get down greens and blues with not much difficulty)? Being able to do both do you find you have a preference towards one or the other? I'm thinking about springing for a few lessons later in the season since some local resorts offer decent deals on lift/lesson/rental packages. Love to hear you divas chime in on this :smile:
I am learning how to snowboard this season! I did 2 days last year and have done 4 so far this year. I am signed up for a short snowboard race at my home mountain in march and have found that to be a huge motivator to get out for a few snowboard runs at the end of the day (I coach skiing but my ski kids are done at 3pm so I have about a hour or 2 to try snowboarding).

I think the edge awareness and weight transfer (forward back and up and down) from knowing one sport will help you in the other. With help from my snowboarding friends (and youtube) have helped me learn snowboarding relatively quickly. 6, 2 hour sessions in I feel comfortable on steeper groomed runs and am starting to pick up carving.

I don't remember learning to ski though (started at 2), so it is hard to compare. I have heard that it's easier to learn basic skiing than basic snowboarding, but that it's harder to become extremely proficient at skiing versus snowboarding.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update... I now have seen the full turtle set.. And I just bought a snowboard off of Fb marketplace.
Did you also buy impact shorts and kneepads, or are you getting a turtle?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna