• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Anyone else race sailing dinghies?

water.rat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seems like a lot of other interests on the Ski Diva forum so thought this would be a good place to mention the fact that I need a team mate for next sailing season. Boat is a a Fireball: 2 person centerboard class with a single trapeze and traditional spinnaker. Scow-like hull with over sized rig planes easily and loves to go fast.

I crew, so the spot that is open is helm. Don't really care how experienced you are at driving, just out to have fun. Weekly club racing and a few regattas, including opportunities for sailing in the Columbia Gorge. Pictures included from a few years ago in the Gorge. First is of my boat with me on the wire. Second is of a few boats battling it out on a spinnaker run.

So if there is a sailor out there in the Portland/Vancouver metro area interested in trying the boat out, let me know. If you want to know more about the boat, can direct you to internet sources. Warning: it's a blast and if you are already addicted to skiing you will end up with a double addiction. But I'm living proof it's manageable.

CGOD13.jpg

CGOD1.jpg

Karlyboogy

Certified Ski Diva
Looks great, I'm sailing RS500, totally agree with this - Ski or sail: any day, spent on any form of water, is a good day! :D good luck finding a helm!

water.rat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
RS500, eh? You'd be perfect for a Fireball. ;-) Too bad you live so far away. Do you see them in your area? Know they are popular in UK and other parts of Europe.

Karlyboogy

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, too bad.. I would have liked more sailing, and this looks spectacular! Don't see them in the Netherlands. I'm also having trouble finding crew, bought the RS with my boyfriend, but he doesn't like it.. :( I love it, but I must say, the gennaker is also awesome. Really different game with more apparent wind sailing. But the spinnaker is also fun, especially with match racing (gennaker not so much). Don't mean to hijack your thread, all those passions.. :dance:

Last edited:

Sarah

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a sailor more than a skier. Skiing is my way of getting outside for the 3 months it is too cold to sail around here. I sail Lasers and Thistles but unfortunately for you I am on the East Coast. If you ever want to sail in a very fun class, try the Thistle, not as high performance as the Fireball but everyone in the class is very friendly and welcoming. There are fleets in Seattle and Portland who I am sure would be more than happy to have an experienced crew join them. https://www.seattlethistles.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/Portland.Thistle.Fleet.125

water.rat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a sailor more than a skier. Skiing is my way of getting outside for the 3 months it is too cold to sail around here. I sail Lasers and Thistles but unfortunately for you I am on the East Coast. If you ever want to sail in a very fun class, try the Thistle, not as high performance as the Fireball but everyone in the class is very friendly and welcoming. There are fleets in Seattle and Portland who I am sure would be more than happy to have an experienced crew join them. https://www.seattlethistles.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/Portland.Thistle.Fleet.125
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for taking the time to write. So sorry you are so far away :-(
Do know some folks in the Thistle class here in Portland, have gone on some outings with them and have enjoyed it. Still hoping for a team mate for my Fireball, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna