• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone else do ice skating?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It keeps me going when I'm not skiing. Interestingly I have similar postural problems with both skating and skiing - a tendency to stick my butt out too much :laughter: (Aside from that I actually find them to have very little crossover, aside from an understanding of edges and the ability to skate across flats!)

I'm very casual with it, but I take a weekly adult group ice skating class. We're broadly working toward figure skating skills, but most of it is really just "edge work" i.e. skating skills that everything else builds upon. It's challenging and fun, and of course you can buy cute leggings and things to wear while skating as well. :smile:

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love ice skating and even have a covered rink very close to home. Sadly, the Covid situation and earlier a hip problem&operation meant a break of nearly three years. Looking forward to when they will reopen on 23rd November (so it is only sightly off season, going on till April).

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I started figure skating when I was about 3 in Japan. I had a coach. I used to walk to the near by rink when the sky was still dark when I got a little bit older.... I switch to other sports later on. Kind da miss it....

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do another thing too which I would recommend with all my heart. While browsing the Web I have stumbled on something called Figure 8 exercices. That turned out to be aerobic/strength exercises based on Latin dances. The Figure 8 in the name refers to the continual movement of the hips, the core and the thighs, while on certain days one does strength exercises with a tension band/weights. While this is something you buy, it is waaaaay cheaper than any gym membership plus no hassle of travelling to and fro. During the five months I have now been at it, I have never once missed a session volontarily - it is such fun. In which it differs from many dedicated skiing exercises which I have to hang on to by sheer willpower. And I am already noticing how it improved my hip/torso mobility.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love skating (did so competitively as a kid), but never have many opportunities to do so each winter nowadays.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skating loops through the woods sound so fun! I grew up skating on lakes mainly and one had a loop where you could go out from the usual shoveled off circle and around the land mass of the island — no flooding or Zamboni though so conditions were variable (at best)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a 30-minute session, and I'm in an adult (13+) pre-Alpha class with what seems like only 2 other adults. I don't think I've been on skates in 20 years, and the rink was more slippery than I remembered! In the 30 minutes, I met a kid named Ethan who told me I was really good for someone skating for the first time, and the instructor complimented me on my leg turnout and arm position when I was attempting some of the forward skating skills. For reasons that I don't entirely understand, the backwards skating skills (wiggle and swizzle) are easier for me than the forward swizzle. I think I'm not doing something with the forward motion that is coming intuitively backwards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly