• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any Van divas?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
This happened. With retirement around the corner, we've been having the van conversion discussion. Since my injury I've gone deep into the custom conversion rabbit hole, and frankly it's overwhelming. A friend of our got one of these earlier this year... Winnebago Travato 59K and loves it. We went to look at it and ---ticked off most of the boxes so we took the plunge. Just in time for our eclipse trip!!

Fun features:
AWD
20' long, manuverable
bed converts to queen +
bathroom with shower & toilet
3500 tow capacity
2 burner galley
AC/Heat so it can be used in winter

I had no idea there was a travato van sub culture with meetups, people naming them and so on

IMG_20170812_135058_101.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
I have friends that are thinking along the same lines for retirement. But I think they're going bigger. I like this it's just the right size.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Adventure van! They're pretty big around here. I know a lady who used to live in one, pre kids. And one of the people in my gym lives in one in the parking lot. Sweet ride, I wish you many adventures!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I can't wait to hear your thoughts about it - SO and I have been curious about them for the past few months as we saw tons in Montana and Wyoming this summer, and there is a company out of Calgary that we saw this year rents out vans like this. Looking forward to hearing about your trips. And it does look to be a great size! Happy trails!

Christy

Angel Diva
That is SWEET and I am jealous!! Everytime we see something like that I tell my husband that is on the docket when (if?) we retire. That looks like just the right size.

I wondered if those size vans had a bathroom, and if so, if you'd really want to use the toilet with someone else in the van. Do you have a photo of it?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
We checked out some of the big class C motorhomes while we were waiting.... washer/dryers/ full size bathrooms... the slideouts make them just huge!! Not our style but wow.

mustski

Angel Diva
We travelled for years in a Volkswagen Westfalia and we loved it! The big issue was no bathroom so that is a plus for which you will be grateful -especially in the middle of the night. Have a blast and enjoy the memory making!

Sandrine

Diva in Training
I'm looking at buying a van in the next few months. It definitely won't be as fancy as yours, with probably just room for a bed and a little fridge. Yours looks really sweet and good call on having AC/Heat!

skibumwannabe

Certified Ski Diva
This happened. With retirement around the corner, we've been having the van conversion discussion. Since my injury I've gone deep into the custom conversion rabbit hole, and frankly it's overwhelming. A friend of our got one of these earlier this year... Winnebago Travato 59K and loves it. We went to look at it and ---ticked off most of the boxes so we took the plunge. Just in time for our eclipse trip!!

Fun features:
AWD
20' long, manuverable
bed converts to queen +
bathroom with shower & toilet
3500 tow capacity
2 burner galley
AC/Heat so it can be used in winter

I had no idea there was a travato van sub culture with meetups, people naming them and so on

View attachment 7442
I'm thinking about buying a AWD camper van for a 2 month ski trip out west this February. Just wonder if their warm enough and places to camp? Have you been out yet?

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We bought a 4x4 Quigley diesel shuttle bus we are working on converting. It is a work in progress, had to learn about diesel and get the gremlins out of the engine. But we finally have it running like a dream and are ready to start our build. We are planning on making it a mobile ski chalet lol. Got plans for ski and snowboard specific storage, and are keeping the fold up bus seats for the dinette so we can flip them up and have room to wax our planks.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm thinking about buying a AWD camper van for a 2 month ski trip out west this February. Just wonder if their warm enough and places to camp? Have you been out yet?
There aren't a lot of AWD vans out there. Promaster is FWD and sprinters are rear wheel or 4x4. Most rigs have to have additional insulation for winter. I will be adding more to our doors and what not but we have a good heater. You'll almost certainly be dry camping as most RV water systems are not built with freezing temps in mind. Some ski areas let you park, some have RV areas, some charge, some run you off at night.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have any winter camping gear? You can use a jetboil to cook some pretty decent meals, and heat water to do a "bird bath." If you have a good sleeping bag and dress in layers, you can just treat it like winter camping. I'd recommend getting one of those Mr. Heater propane heaters (crack windows for ventilation) to take the edge off before you fall asleep and when you get up in the morning. I wouldn't run it all night (though some do) for safety and also because propane is a "wet heat" and it's combustion process produces a lot of humidity. So your ski stuff won't dry out and you might wake up to condensation, which is a real pain.

skibumwannabe

Certified Ski Diva
T
There aren't a lot of AWD vans out there. Promaster is FWD and sprinters are rear wheel or 4x4. Most rigs have to have additional insulation for winter. I will be adding more to our doors and what not but we have a good heater. You'll almost certainly be dry camping as most RV water systems are not built with freezing temps in mind. Some ski areas let you park, some have RV areas, some charge, some run you off at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly