• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Any suggestions for plus-sized ski clothing?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
This could well be where Lands' End trumps all in the sizing department, with (almost inexplicably) generous sizing.
I also just noted that these pants come in even sizing, NOT S/M/L.
https://www.landsend.com/pp/InsulatedSquallPants~112990_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00007__0000001036&origin=index
If not altogether high tech and/or "fashion forward," it's still ALL about a decent, comfortable fit. I'm more than a little disgruntled with the sizing/fit of many "high tech, fashion forward" mfrs. I cannot wear Cloudveil at ALL. M too big, S too small, forget it. No can do, at those prices.
We need to collectively revolt!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone here know about junonia? They have plus sized ski clothing.

hi SkiDiva, I've used Junonia in the past - very expensive but very good quality and they have things like silk long-johns and the like. Only trouble is - as with many plus-size outlets they can be a bit "frumpy".

I got my first pair of ski pants via Junonia as I couldn't find anywhere in Europe which did anything near my size (I was a lot bigger back then). Got hit with import taxes but well worth it anyway.

Edit: Just checked their website and my gosh their prices have tumbled. Back in 2002 it was 300 dollars for ski pants or a jacket!

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
Just so you know, I feel for anyone who is a size 14 or more when they shop for ski clothing.
I normally wear a big 6 or a small 8. There is a big problem in the ski industry when someone my size feels like a medium is too tight and considers getting a large.

I was at the spider outlet the otherday and picked up a pair of Cloudveil Madison pants. Boy oh boy -- i felt BIG. I've been in a shrinking process of late and was proud of the progress until i realized that the pants have been in a shrinking process too :mad2: thanks guys .... way to make me feel great about the work i've done. In the end, i got a pair that fit and are cute as heck ... but hint - ski manufacturese .... not all althetic girls are under a size 10. I havent been since middle school so last time i was, it was not a pretty sight!!

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was looking through the Land's End catalog the other day and noticed they have ski pants in a variety of sizes and are very good quality with nice styling (I own a couple of their ski jackets and get lots of compliments and they are as warm and high quality as any of the "high end" skier branded jackets I own - the one in my photo is my fave jacket of all time) going up to 26W in many colors for those that might need and you can usually find coupons for free shipping or price discount. They go for $149 I think.

OMG - it's a new ski season and she's in my head already...just noticed MSL mentioned Land's End in an earlier post! LMAO

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks very much! When were you in banff? LOL re shopping in Banff - I've been here a year now and I have learned where to go and also to make my local status know as you get discounts in many places that way. :smile: I did my comparison shopping and found ski equipment is competitively priced to Calgary but clothing is so NOT competitive, unless you want Banff written all over it with an embroidered bear under.

I got my Dalbellos (last year's stock) for $350 and was given a 15% locals' discount which was nice and when they are paid for (in 2 weeks WOO!) they will do all the custom fitting bits for me including flattening the tongue to accomodate my rather broad shins. :smile:

I will check out Walmart as well as some other store in Calgary, I am also investigating Lands End (bonus - they give airmiles!) and another on-line souce. I haven't been this excited about buying pants in years!!!! :yahoo:

Thanks for the advice...

Janet

hi Eirika, having spent extensive time in Banff - I can confidently tell you that the only size 16 *anything* you'll find in Banff is a pair of Levi's at the bottom of the pile in The Hudson Bay company! :D

You'll have to get down to Calgary - but then my Banff-living friends tell me NOBODY buys anything in Banff if they can avoid it... what with it being allegedly the most expensive place in Canada!

When I was in Breck last year I noticed that the shops there seemed to be catching on that there might be *ahem* more "powerfully built" women on the slopes and TWO stores stocked nice pants in a size 20 - I was gob-smacked! These were nicely made and seemed to be designed rather than simply two bed quilts thrown together and dyed black! Both retailing at about $100 which I didn't think was bad at all for a resort town!

I noticed Walmart had cheap & cheerful up to a size 24, I'm not sure if you have Decathlon over there but they also go up to about a 24.

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
Good to know you have personal experience with their clothing...that helps a lot in decision making. I have bought Lands End shoes before and they are my favorite pair of hanging out shoes...they took a year of steady wear and were as good as new at the end of it!

Thanks for the info I am looking at their website and musing on costs. :smile:

Janet

Was looking through the Land's End catalog the other day and noticed they have ski pants in a variety of sizes and are very good quality with nice styling (I own a couple of their ski jackets and get lots of compliments and they are as warm and high quality as any of the "high end" skier branded jackets I own - the one in my photo is my fave jacket of all time) going up to 26W in many colors for those that might need and you can usually find coupons for free shipping or price discount. They go for $149 I think.

OMG - it's a new ski season and she's in my head already...just noticed MSL mentioned Land's End in an earlier post! LMAO

Jilly

Staff member
Ah, stay away from Walmart!! and Sportchek, Sportsmart, Coast Mountain Sports and any else Forzani! The box stores are not going to have what you need. Check on Land's end, MEC and Mondo's (in Banff).

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the prior post 100%. Wal-Mart/big box gear is not going to give you the fabric quality or insulation warmth you need in ski pants.

Definitely look at the other suggestions, as a good pair will keep you active, warm and enjoying the slopes for years with no rips or tears and all the performance you need.

A cheap pair will be destroyed after one fall and you will be so cold you'll spend more time inside getting warm than on the slopes.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Erica - Lake Louise is my favourite ski hill on the planet... so I've spent a lot of time in Banff over the years - I don't tend to spend too much on clothing there because generally the only things I can get to fit are the aforementioned Banff/bear sweaters although sometimes something in Roots catches my eye. :smile:

Good luck - sounds like you'll have some delicious gear pretty soon!

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone here know about junonia? They have plus sized ski clothing.

I skied in a pair of Junonia pants last season and they worked very well. Although are not a technical name brand, they were a good fit without being big and bulky, had good features (vents, adjustable side tabs, etc.) and kept me warm & dry. I'm big and curvy, so the cut of men's bibs/pants don't work for me - these did.

They have a limited selection, but here's a start:

https://www.junonia.com/detail.htm?sid=379201

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I've been wearing a pair of Squall ski pants from Land's End for 2 seasons, and just bought another pair - on sale! They are very comfortable, insulated, and they come in different lengths (I'm 5'0), and plus sizes. They're also still on sale - 60% off!

newboots

Angel Diva
I normally wear a Large, but my first jacket was an Arcteryx that had to be sent back because it was too tight in the middle. But here comes Land’s End, with their jackets roomy in a Medium! I have a down coat from them, and a squall jacket. I’m always warm and comfortable. Bogner it ain’t! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna