• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any Other Tri-Atheletes Out There?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Triathletes -- I'm bumping up our little thread. What are you all doing this winter to stay in shape during ski season? My goal is to maintain my aerobic fitness by running 3 to 4 days a week, about 20 miles or so. I don't have a wind trainer and I'm thinking about it, but I'm not certain I'll have the time to keep up with both running and cycling. I can get in the pool a few times a week, but I've just taken a first "management" job in a large kids' ski school. I think I'll be lucky to get out on snow, much less train. Any ideas for efficient training to keep from loosing it all?

I'm training for a half-marathon in the spring so I'll be mostly running during the winter, and then my twice weekly swim class which pretty much lasts from September to June. Probably won't be cycling, I'm a very fair weather cyclist, so won't get back on the bike until early to mid spring most likely.

K.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, tri-divas! I'm a new member here and just found this thread. I'm excited to see some other triathletes!

I did my first triathlon last summer (Danskin) and loved it so much that I did a second one. I did both on my mountain bike but treated myself to a road bike in November. I did three duathlons over the winter (running and biking in the snow, a little crazy!). I'm currently training for a half-marathon in 3 weeks, but as soon as that's done, it's triathlon season, baby!

My big goal for this season is to complete an Olympic distance tri. I'm signed up, registration paid, and VERY nervous about it. I'm having some knee problems (which only bother me on the bike) that I need to get worked out, but I start PT next week, so hopefully it will work quickly! I'm also planning to do at least 2 sprint tri's, and maybe a duathlon or two.

I joined the Y in November so I could train over the winter (I'm a single mom, so I needed a gym with childcare). I was going to spin class 4-5x/week until I started training for the half. I've had to back off of spin because of my knee, but I'm running 4-5 days a week, lifting weights 2-3 days a week, and swimming once a week. After the half, I'm planning on taking a private swim lesson or two to work on my form (I've never had any formal swim training).

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi itri! Good luck on the oly, i'm sure you'll do great.

Regarding the knee pain, have you had your bike fit to you? The reason I'm asking is because if you only have pain when you ride I would think that the knee pain might be an alignment issues. Perhaps you could get someone from a bike shop to watch you pedal on your bike for a bit, there may be a chance that your pedals aren't aligned correctly causing your knee pain.

K.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the reasons that I got my road bike (well, besides the fact that I wanted to go FAST and it was so goshdarn pretty :p) was that I thought maybe the knee pain was because my mountain bike wasn't fitting me very well. The guy at the bike shop spent a LONG time tweaking the fit, and it did feel a little better the first couple of times on my road bike before it started going downhill again. And I was completely pain-free in spin class for about 3 months or so. My orthopedist thinks it was probably just a matter of time based on the alignment of my patellas. The PT that I'm going to is fantastic for sports injuries, so I'm hopeful that he'll fix me up in no time, and I know him well enough to know that bike fitting will be one of the things he'll address.

I spent WAY too much money on my road bike and all the accessories to let a little knee pain stop me now! :D

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
this is probably as good a place as any to announce that I've sold my tri bike. Or I should say that it will be on eBay soon. I've decided to retire from triathlon after doing them for almost 10 years. I've done all distances from Spring to Half Iron and I am signed up for IMFL but will just have to eat the entry fee. I've never been "good" IE fast, but it's been a lot of fun.

My knees are shot and I've lost the will to train. I just finished a 5 week series of synovial fluid injections in my knees and the arthritic ankle is bothering me as well. I'd be better off riding my bike, swimming when I can get to a pool, and saving the knees for skiing.

And, I know what I'll be doing with the time I used to spend on a tri message board :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly