• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any Other Tri-Atheletes Out There?

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished my very first tri-athelon on Sunday and I was wondering how many of my fellow Ski Diva friends are into this?
I thought my friends were crazy when they talked me into doing it, but I wound up doing fairly well, considering that I crashed my bike in the dismounting area. I looked pretty tough when I finished the run with blood dripping down my legs! :D .

With my swim time and run time I placed pretty well but I was on a mountain bike and most everyone else was on a road bike. I couldn't pedal any faster, but they made me look like I was going backwards and I lost a lot of time. I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was supposed to do my 2nd tri this weekend, but I busted my ankle climbing so I think I'm going to have to DNS :(

i'm hoping they'll let me defer my entry fee to next year's race.

Congrats on your tri!

K.

I am officially a triathlete now! Ok...ok...ok....not the "Ironman" but the "Leadman"! 9 holes of golf, 3 games of bowling and 2 hours of Texas Hold 'Em!

I just participated a couple of weekends ago and I won 3rd place! I'm not sure I should be proud of this, but I am! :D

Here's some pics...

Golfing Diva!
DSC01310.jpg

Ok....I fell down the oily lane!
DSC01328.jpg

Ta Da! Third Place!
DSC01340-1.jpg

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about your ankle Kimmy! A word of advise from somebody who's had a ton of experience with a broken ankle: Go to an orthopedic surgeon who only works on feet and ankles. There's only a select few, but it will be worth your wait and worth any extra traveling that it may require.

Good Luck!

Kimmy...VERY sorry to hear about your ankle! You guys are TRUE triathletes....and I'm jealous! :(

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Did one yesterday

Hi, Snomiser:
I did a sprint tri yesterday. I had done 6 in 1986 and 1987 and none since then, so I felt like a first timer. My swim was a bit disappointing, but my run and bike were okay. I think I had underestimated my comfort level in the open water. Although I had done it before, it was so long ago that it was awkward swimming outside the pool. I had friends racing with me and we had a blast. The run course was super hilly, on some new england prep school's XC skiing trails. I have another, an olympic distance, on 9/15. That's a salt-water bay swim. I'll be spending alot of time in the water during the next three weeks.

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi BackCountryGirl!

Congrats on you tri yesterday! I just signed up for another one on the 19th of this month. It's a sprint too. Fortunately the run course doesn't have any hills! The running is what I need to work on. Someone suggested that I train by running through hilly subdivisions. I'll give it a try, but it doesn't sound very fun!:eek:

I swim with a great group of tri athletes and our coach is awesome! She really improved my speed by getting me to rotate and glide more.

Do you ride a road bike or a tri bike?

Good luck with your next tri!

~Anne~

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Hi, Anne: I use a road bike, that I recently purchased. I couldn't justify spending the money on a tri bike yet. So, I bought a Women's Specific Design bike by triek, a 1600. My old bike, bought in 1985, also was a trek and it served me well. This one is a step up in components and I am very happy with it. Good luck on the 19th.

My swim technique is okay, but I still need work. I have trouble rotating to the left. When I do drills that make me breathe on that side, I find that I rotate better. I think that during the winter, I'm going to focus on getting bilateral breathing down, which should help. I don't think I have enough time to fix it for the next race.

Barbara

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BCG, I was surprised at how easily my body adapted to bilateral breathing in the water. I had done a long swim (30 min) using my regular right-side breathing, and by the end my body was so tense, my neck and lower back on my left side were on fire. I focused on bilateral breathing for my next two swim sessions, and all of a sudden now I can't do anything but. It is a really great technique to master, since I think it evens out your muscle use and also allows you to swim a straighter line in open water.

I did end up doing my tri, and actually beat my last time by 3 minutes! My swim was 5 minutes faster than previously, all due to simply getting in yardage in open water. I increased my bike by 1 mph, but my run decreased. I'm blaming that on the ankle, even though the run didn't bother it nearly as much as the other two events.

Anyway, good luck on your event at the end of the month!

K.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Thanks, Kimmyt. I did a 10k recovery run yesterday, real slow, no watch. Today, I'm going to do a quick bike in the morning and then hit the pool. I'll give the bilateral breathing a try. At the very least, it will make me slow down and probably help me do a long swim!

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finished my second ever tri this morning. The weather was horrible. 65 degrees with rain and fog. We couldn't even see the bouys until we got right up to them. I did really well on the swim and was flying on the bike until I wiped out. My front tire got hooked up where the asphalt and concrete meet on the side of the road. I banged my knee up a little and got a few scapes but the worst thing was that I was climbing a hill at the time and had to start up from a dead stop. I was pretty happy with my run time considering we were running through ankle deep puddles and muddy trails.

There's another local tri next weekend, but I'm going to hold off on registering for that one until I see how my knee feels and to see what the weather forcast looks like. With the temperatures so cold, everything in your body tenses up. I don't want to put my body through that again anytime soon.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Anne: Congratulations on finishing, especially after a wipe out and in lousy weather.

I remember a tri that I was doing back in (oh this makes me sound old) 1986 when I had a flat tire right at the end of the bike segment. I had a spare tube, but I knew that the time it would have taken to make the change was going to mean the whole race was over. I didn't want to finish with nobody around!

I had a great day in the pool on Sunday -- a friend's friend who was a former Division I swim guy who still does masters gave me about 2 hours of one-on-one coaching in the pool. Boy, did his advice make my stroke more efficient. I have 3 weeks until my next tri, but I'm doing a 5K on Sunday as a time trial just to see where my running is at.

Let's hope the weather stays warm so that you can do the race this weekend -- today here was 43 at 7:00 a.m. when I went out for a ride. That made me very cranky.

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi BCG!

That's great that you got some individual coaching! That should really help with your technique. I'm going to skip the tri this weekend and instead train for one on Sept. 16. My knee's been doing some strange popping so I think I should give it a rest. Plus, I think I bent the derailer on the bike, along with my areo bars, so I'll have to get some repairs done for the next race.

Good luck with your training for your next tri!

~Anne~

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished my 3rd triathlon this year. I can't believe it but I finished 3rd in my age group and there were like 90 in my age group. It was so cold though; 34 degrees air temp and a water temp of 60. Thank God I had a wet suit, but I couldn't feel my toes until I was almost 3/4 of the way done with my run. I finally made it through an entire tri without crashing my bike. Thank God! :D.

I'm done with tri's for the year and now it's time to get ready for skiing!

Jilly

Staff member
Heh - Congrats on finishing and that result is great. I'm not into tri's, but I do realize the effort involved. Well done snowmiser!!

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Jilly and Pequenita! I'm pretty proud of myself. I looked at the results online this morning and I missed 2nd place by 8/100ths of a second. Oh well, I'm still amazed that I even placed! :smile:

Thanks for the positive vibes!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Triathletes -- I'm bumping up our little thread. What are you all doing this winter to stay in shape during ski season? My goal is to maintain my aerobic fitness by running 3 to 4 days a week, about 20 miles or so. I don't have a wind trainer and I'm thinking about it, but I'm not certain I'll have the time to keep up with both running and cycling. I can get in the pool a few times a week, but I've just taken a first "management" job in a large kids' ski school. I think I'll be lucky to get out on snow, much less train. Any ideas for efficient training to keep from loosing it all?

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I compete in run-row-swim tris, does that still count? ;)

I don't bike so I've never been able to do a regular one, but I got started with the run-row-swims back when I was a rescue swimmer. A few of the guys I worked with competed, and when I found out about them I was like "perfect!"

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I compete in run-row-swim tris, does that still count? ;)

I don't bike so I've never been able to do a regular one, but I got started with the run-row-swims back when I was a rescue swimmer. A few of the guys I worked with competed, and when I found out about them I was like "perfect!"

Interesting! What type of rows are these?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna