• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any mushroom hunters?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's getting to be Morel season here, in the process of getting our buckets and dryers ready. Anyone else into picking mushrooms? We ussually can get between 30-50#s of Morels and Chanterelles each year. The forest service has a weird permitting thing now though, where you can either buy a commercial liscense or a beneficial use one. The negative with the beneficial use is that they make you slice them in half before exiting the trailhead. ( They actually stand at the trailheads and check ) Last year we got the beneficial and they really need to be dried out prior to cutting for good storage, so we'll probably pay extra for the commercial.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mother does. A mushroom hunt for Morels and Chanterelles would absolutely delight her.

Impressive haul!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mother does. A mushroom hunt for Morels and Chanterelles would absolutely delight her.

Impressive haul!

Well, several 5 gallon buckets anyways. I am guessing on the #'s, I had a conversation earlier in the day about how much different things weigh in a 5 gallon bucket. Looking back today, it seems a tad high. We also receive alot from other people as well.

O

OnAPlank

what was the hunt for?? why are these mushrooms so good, I'd like to know more.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooooh!! I love hunting Morels. :becky: I don't think we're quite ready though. Something about the lilac leaves being the size of a squirrel's ear or something like that. :loco:

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I think you may be right about that Marge. I think it's been a littlte to cool here in the evenings yet. But I have been finding killer stashes of wild asparagus! Yummy! Usually we get the asparagus and then the morels! Bunny and I have been searcing all over for them on our trail rides. Last spring we did pretty well! I can't wait for morels fried in butter! Nummy!:drool:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaaarggggh! I think we may have missed it. My gf's mom and dad found over 300 last week! :doh: I'm calling her tomorrow to see if they're still out. :doh:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thought we struck gold in our woods over the weekend. False alarm. Knowledgeable friend informed us that they were "false morels." Anyone ever heard of a false morel?? :noidea: We trusted his judgment, however.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought we struck gold in our woods over the weekend. False alarm. Knowledgeable friend informed us that they were "false morels." Anyone ever heard of a false morel?? :noidea: We trusted his judgment, however.

No, I haven't. I know there are "black" and "white" but that's it. :noidea:

https://www.michiganmorels.com/morels2.shtml :faint: Doesn't look like anything you want to mess with!

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/morchella_black.html (hmmmmm... note what phalic symbols morels are :eek::laugh:)

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Marge where did they find them? Anywhere close? I'm just the over in Linden. I traispeds all around the old orchard where we found so many last year and came up empty handed. That's unsual, that area has been pretty good for finding them the last couple of years. I've been looking for the last three weeks and come up with zip!. :Cry: I've never heard of false morrels either.:noidea:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marge where did they find them? Anywhere close? I'm just the over in Linden. I traispeds all around the old orchard where we found so many last year and came up empty handed. That's unsual, that area has been pretty good for finding them the last couple of years. I've been looking for the last three weeks and come up with zip!. :Cry: I've never heard of false morrels either.:noidea:

She found them in State Land just north of Lapeer and at her house. It gets pretty crazy up there. My mom usually has them at her house as she backs up to State Land as well. :thumbsup:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, I'm not a fan of the taste of mushrooms. However, I've always been interested in them, and experimented with growing them a lot as a child and pretty much memorized the NAS field guide (with plenty of perhaps ill-based support from my at the time college aged brothers :nono::nono:). I still go looking for and check out the various kinds.

Since I'm not into eating them, I pretty much only harvest mushrooms for ink making. I really enjoy making my own ink, and as an added bonus it cuts my art supply expenses the tiniest bit.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is to cut the mushroom in half. A true morel is hollow inside like a cylinder and a false is dense, looks like a brain inside. The color variation between the two are due to where they grow, those that grow in afterburn are dark, those that grow under deciduous trees along streamsides are the best. We go by the dandelions, when the dandelions are blooming, the darks are in and when they are seeding, the lights are in.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooooh! My friend who found the 300 of them cooked some of them up last night. They were SO yummy! She put some sort of coating on them (flour, mix, breadcrumbs? ) and then pan fried them in an iron skillet. They were heavenly! :drool:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, I'm not a fan of the taste of mushrooms. However, I've always been interested in them, and experimented with growing them a lot as a child and pretty much memorized the NAS field guide (with plenty of perhaps ill-based support from my at the time college aged brothers :nono::nono:). I still go looking for and check out the various kinds.

Since I'm not into eating them, I pretty much only harvest mushrooms for ink making. I really enjoy making my own ink, and as an added bonus it cuts my art supply expenses the tiniest bit.

Ink making using mushrooms sounds very intriguing. Neat. Is this perhaps where the "inky mane" ? gets it's name?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna