• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any kayak advice?

mustski

Angel Diva
We just purchased a 2 person sit on Kayak. We plan to just play around in some quiet lake bays until we get the hang of it. Any advice is appreciated- tips in general- especially for getting it on top of our SUV!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No advice on getting it on top of your car but we have done a fair bit of kayaking in Tahoe .. we always get our own single kayaks but so much fun! Enjoy!

Jilly

Staff member
And it could be Yakima. Sold mine as I leave the kayak at the cottage. My Blazer had the flat type factory bars. So they fit on that.

Tvan

Angel Diva
See if your local LL Bean store offers a kayak class. We recently took the recreational kayak class and it was very informative. We learned useful safety information, a number of paddling techniques and two ways to get back into a kayak if you capsize. Very useful!

Jilly

Staff member
A lesson on wet exit is a must. Don't try it on your own. I took a lesson at a local outfitting store. They have a lake just down the way. Besides the wet exit, I wanted to know the best way to get into a kayak from a dock. I don't have a beach of any kind at the lake. It was all worth the 2 hours. Lots of fun too!

mustski

Angel Diva
It's a sit on top. No wet exit needed, just an exceedingly awkward remount if you flip it.
That’s why we bought the sit on type- everything I read said it’s easier to get back on. We plan to stick to quiet bays in the lake. The goal is to get some exercise without stressing my recovering knee. It’s also a good way to cool down during the afternoon heat. We plan to put it at the shoreline.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
FYI - also a great upper body workout! We usually rent sit-on tops for the very reason others have mentioned (ease).... We like to get the sleek type ones with rudders as they're a blast steering in Tahoe when a tail wind is behind you. We usually go from South Lake Tahoe to Emerald Bay and back (several hours) but beautiful views! So a workout going out but a breeze (literally) on the way back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly