• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any birders? Share your photos!

altagirl

Staff member
I've caught a chickadee and a nuthatch in my hands after they flew in the patio door and got stuck trying to fly out the closed living room windows. They are so amazingly light!

Christy

Angel Diva
Are those Rufous or Anna's? (Or...?)

I was so surprised a few weeks ago when taking a photo of a penstemon type flower in a canyon at Capitol Reef--the only one I'd seen in that whole section of canyon--to be photobombed by a hummingbird. I imagined him/her high above all these canyons and zooming down to the flowers that seemed few and far between. But maybe they like the orchard blooms there too.

altagirl

Staff member
Are those Rufous or Anna's? (Or...?)

I was so surprised a few weeks ago when taking a photo of a penstemon type flower in a canyon at Capitol Reef--the only one I'd seen in that whole section of canyon--to be photobombed by a hummingbird. I imagined him/her high above all these canyons and zooming down to the flowers that seemed few and far between. But maybe they like the orchard blooms there too.
I believe they are all Black-chinned, but the females can be tricky. We also get Broad Tailed, and then Rufous in the late summer. And the occasional Calliope.

And I do wonder how spread out their patches are in some areas?

altagirl

Staff member
A few recent shots. The floofy baby barn swallow shots make me LOL. DSC_2606.jpg
I wish the light had been better but it's always so fun seeing baby Grebes get ferried around on their parents backs.
DSC_3374.jpg
I'm always a fan of the White -lined Sphinx Moth, which is an honorary bird since it gets called a hummingbird moth.
DSC_2047.jpgDSC_2279.jpg
And finally that Caspian tern looks like his head is on backwards as it's rotating around to keep its eyes on target as it dives.
DSC_3357-1.jpg
Help! help! Bring bugs, I'm too floofy to move!
DSC_2607.jpg

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
OMG that last one is so cute!

My sister has a hummingbird moth at her house - I’d never heard of them before that.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few recent shots. The floofy baby barn swallow shots make me LOL. View attachment 18930
I wish the light had been better but it's always so fun seeing baby Grebes get ferried around on their parents backs.
View attachment 18931
I'm always a fan of the White -lined Sphinx Moth, which is an honorary bird since it gets called a hummingbird moth.
View attachment 18933View attachment 18934
And finally that Caspian tern looks like his head is on backwards as it's rotating around to keep its eyes on target as it dives.
View attachment 18935
View attachment 18936
I love them!! My favourite is the tern - that's a fantastic photo, and I know well how difficult it is to take photos of birds in flight - such an unusual position he's in as well! Lovely shot and very cute birds :smile:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few recent shots. The floofy baby barn swallow shots make me LOL. View attachment 18930
View attachment 18931
View attachment 18933View attachment 18934
View attachment 18935
View attachment 18936
You are a fantastic photographer. Do you publish?

altagirl

Staff member
I love them!! My favourite is the tern - that's a fantastic photo, and I know well how difficult it is to take photos of birds in flight - such an unusual position he's in as well! Lovely shot and very cute birds :smile:
Oh thank you! And yes, there are a load of empty or half empty frames when trying to get tern photos, thats for sure. Here are a few more from that outing. The lighting wasn't great but it's fun to see stills of the aerial action.

Grabbing a drink.
DSC_3221.jpg

this one i just loved the symmetry...
DSC_3361.jpgDSC_3264.jpg
Sadly this Forster's Tern eventually dropped its fish to get away from the gulls.
DSC_3111-1.jpg
LOL, this guy just didn't get a good grip, I guess!
DSC_3141-1.jpg
This one held on. I reported the color bands, it should be fun to see where it is from if they can sort it out. DSC_3204.jpg

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
You are a fantastic photographer. Do you publish?
I have not, but have been thinking more about doing something with my photos. Also, when looking for this thread I saw what I posted on the first page and was like well I guess I've improved, LOL. Though looking back I can also see what a difference a better camera and lens have made. As well as just practicing!

altagirl

Staff member
A few more recent hummingbirds and a swallowtail visiting the milkweed that the hummingbirds also love. The first one is a little odd with her eyes closed but i like how it just feels dreamy.

These are out at a wetlands area. I haven't had any luck getting milkweed to grow at my house.
DSC_9603-1.jpgDSC_1506.jpgDSC_9686-2.jpg

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a while since i contributed to the thread :smile: Just some local neighborhood birds:

Spur winged plover

6S2A5288.jpg

6S2A5281.jpg

Not the best photo of all time (heavily cropped and I had my shutter speed set wrong!), but still the best photo I've taken to date of a swallow in flight. Tiny, speedy little birds - very tricky to photograph!

6S2A5204.jpg

altagirl

Staff member
Oh, how cool! I've never seen a spur winged plover. They sound somewhat similar to our Killdeer, which are also larger plover that do a broken wing display.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly