• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any birders? Share your photos!

altagirl

Staff member
Lovely photos! Good job on the hummingbirds in flight, too. Bird in flight photography is really challenging.

That is so cool that you get hummingbirds where you live. One day I will see one in person :smile:

Which new camera did you get, out of interest? Camera nerd here :bounce:
Thanks!!

I got a Nikon D500 with a Tamron 150-600 lens. I an on the hunt for a macro lens now for insect photography, which is fun too!

altagirl

Staff member
Sadly no, not at all!

Yeah, it's kind of crazy, hummingbirds only exist in the Americas. Apparently when they were first observed by European explorers they thought hummingbirds didn't have feet. That always cracks me up. But they are hard enough to see that I can imagine you'd have all sorts of wild guesses about them at first!

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah, it's kind of crazy, hummingbirds only exist in the Americas. Apparently when they were first observed by European explorers they thought hummingbirds didn't have feet. That always cracks me up.
I never knew that. My sister had a hummingbird moth that she got pictures of last year. I never knew they existed, either.

altagirl

Staff member
A few fun ones from Alta over the past week. The Hairy Woodpeckers fledged this week. I've been watching the nest but they were gone this morning. Which makes sense... last Sunday I felt like mom was trying to coax the chicks outside.
Fly Alta July 3 2020 e.jpgHAWO Alta 6 28 20 a.jpgBombus Fervidus Alta Jul 20 i.jpgHAWO Alta June 27 2020 d-1.jpgBumblebeen Alta June 2020 c.jpg

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks!!

I got a Nikon D500 with a Tamron 150-600 lens. I an on the hunt for a macro lens now for insect photography, which is fun too!

Awesome! I have a Sigma 150-600 lens, basically the same thing (I think it's the same aperture, size etc too). Great birding lenses. :smile: I actually have a Tamron 90/2.8 1:1 macro lens too - one of the older versions - it has not had much use but you've reminded me to get out and use it more!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

altagirl

Staff member
Thanks! They were really fun to watch. And to listen to honestly. The babies would just peep constantly at first and last time i saw them they were experimenting with adult woodpecker whinny sounds.

Attachments

• 20200703_204005.jpg
    20200703_204005.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 7

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed, those are gorgeous!

altagirl

Staff member
Thank you both! I think maybe these coolest thing about watching that Snowy Egret is that it spent hours poking around and splashing in muddy water and is so clean and perfectly bright white. I wear a white shirt for 20 minutes and it is usually trash because I can never get it clean again.

altagirl

Staff member

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I am not a birder in any sense. I am hoping the birders here would enjoy this.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to rotate this to portrait. Probably because I used my phone.
Anyways, this little guy or gal paid us a visit last Saturday - a Northern Saw-whet Owl. Standing on the frame to our back staircase. I believe he or she is standing on a 4 x 8 beam. No more than 6" high. I was able remove the screen from the window and stick my phone out the window. Not sick or injured as he or she just glided away. I live on the ocean but have alot of conversation land and a state park within 3 miles. We also have a lot of mice and voles on the property as well as rabbits.

This is the 2nd owl that has paid us a visit. A Snowy Owl visited us about 5 yrs ago.
20201010_133147.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly