• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any birders? Share your photos!

altagirl

Staff member
Do you get hummers in the winter? MIne have all left, and won't be back until April.
Anna's hummingbirds are year round on the pacific coast and are occasionally even seen in winter in Utah. Someone just a few miles from my house here had one last Decenber through late February. I have a feeder up just in case and am thinking I'll buy a heated feeder if I see one around or see reports of it in the area this year.

Interestingly, reports of Anna's Hummingbirds in the Salt Lake Valley are almost exclusively in winter.

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Anna's hummingbirds are year round on the pacific coast and are occasionally even seen in winter in Utah. Someone just a few miles from my house here had one last Decenber through late February. I have a feeder up just in case and am thinking I'll buy a heated feeder if I see one around or see reports of it in the area this year.

Interestingly, reports of Anna's Hummingbirds in the Salt Lake Valley are almost exclusively in winter.
Wow -- you guys are so lucky! I miss my hummers terribly in the winter, and am so excited to see the first ones return in the Spring!

altagirl

Staff member
Wow -- you guys are so lucky! I miss my hummers terribly in the winter, and am so excited to see the first ones return in the Spring!
It's still quite rare in northern Utah, but it does happen. All the hummingbird species that we have in summer do migrate south. It's just that for some odd reason the Anna's are extra cold tolerant and winter in the snow. Which is why the heated feeders are a thing.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I agree with this sentiment, miss mine so much as well! In MA they don't start to come back until around the first week of May and then they usually leave in September.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's an interesting story (below). Their bodies can go into torpor when it's cold. They do sometimes freeze to death, though. They aren't THAT hardy. And other times they can look like they've died but they can be revived. We always have a couple cold spells, maybe with snow, so it's really important to have nectar available right when they need it at daybreak.

Although you wouldn’t think it to look at them, Anna’s hummingbirds seem to be among those scrappy few species, alongside the likes of racoons and crows, that actually thrive on city life. In fact, they didn’t always live this far north, but they have expanded their range in response to human activity.

They were originally restricted to southern California where they could travel up and down mountain slopes to catch blooming gooseberries at any time of year. But they have followed the open habitats and introduced winter-blooming plants of gardens and parks both north and east. Today, they can be found in human-modified habitats along the entire west coast.

Jenired

Angel Diva
I’m not really a birder, but we have amazing birds at our home in central Virginia and I have a little hummingbird feeder right outside the window by the sink, so in the morning I get to start my day with these beauties.

Attachments

• 34B4AA45-09D2-48C9-80FE-3E6C38AF9396.jpeg
    34B4AA45-09D2-48C9-80FE-3E6C38AF9396.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 3

Ursula

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not a birder either, but our friend Laura was! :smile:
I Feed the birds during the cold Montana winter months and enjoy watching them while I read the newspaper in the morning. ;)
Everyone: have a fun winter and ski a lot!

Attachments

• 82ED5AE0-708F-443E-9890-2C444D88AEF7.jpeg
    82ED5AE0-708F-443E-9890-2C444D88AEF7.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 9ADADDE6-D6B5-4632-895B-F9592D87E5AC.jpeg
    9ADADDE6-D6B5-4632-895B-F9592D87E5AC.jpeg
    850.5 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly