• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any birders? Share your photos!

altagirl

Staff member
Yes! Good identifying, we call them black back gulls :smile: We have two common types of gull here, the big black backs and the smaller red billed gulls. They don't like each other much so you don't tend to see them together!

A bunch of red billed gulls:
View attachment 15344

Evening red billed gull:
View attachment 15345

A black backed gull diving for and eating some dinner!
View attachment 15346

And I spotted some of these guys while on a weekend holiday in a small inland town. They were slightly smaller and shyer than the usual red bill gulls, which caught my attention. This is a black billed gull (yes, we're very imaginative with our gull names!!), apparently the most endangered gull in the world :eek:
View attachment 15347

That's so cool! And how exciting on the Black-billed Gull - what a great find! (And I do love the lupines too - that's a gorgeous view!) Regarding the common names - maybe not the most imaginative names for your gulls, but at least they are logical and obvious features. Half the time we get crazy names of descriptors you can barely see. We have a "Ring-necked Duck" that is lovely, but it's head, neck and breast are all BLACK. Rumor has it that if you are holding one in your hand and ruffling through the feathers, you can see a subtle ring of maroon/brown feathers around the neck. This is the best photo I've ever gotten of the "ring". I remain unconvinced...

Ring Necked Duck CBC JRT 19 (2).jpg

VERY practical for field ID. :rolleyes: It has those lovely white stripes on it's bill.... It has a lovely patch of bright white that sticks up along it's side and is an excellent field mark... No, no... let's name it for something no one can see. Keeps everyone on their toes.

This is what you usually see: (the one in the front middle)
Ring Necked Duck with AMCOs LKP Feb 19.jpg
Ring Necked Duck Feb 2017 SUF (2).jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's so cool! And how exciting on the Black-billed Gull - what a great find! (And I do love the lupines too - that's a gorgeous view!) Regarding the common names - maybe not the most imaginative names for your gulls, but at least they are logical and obvious features. Half the time we get crazy names of descriptors you can barely see. We have a "Ring-necked Duck" that is lovely, but it's head, neck and breast are all BLACK. Rumor has it that if you are holding one in your hand and ruffling through the feathers, you can see a subtle ring of maroon/brown feathers around the neck. This is the best photo I've ever gotten of the "ring". I remain unconvinced...

View attachment 15354

VERY practical for field ID. :rolleyes: It has those lovely white stripes on it's bill.... It has a lovely patch of bright white that sticks up along it's side and is an excellent field mark... No, no... let's name it for something no one can see. Keeps everyone on their toes.

This is what you usually see: (the one in the front middle)
View attachment 15356
View attachment 15355

Wow that is indeed a headscratcher for naming!!

altagirl

Staff member
I couldn't resist trying to get some photos of the Tree Swallows that just recently migrated back to Utah. They change directions dizzyingly fast, so I'm sure it would have been hilarious watching me spin around trying to get them in focus.

Plus a Cormorant taking off (I love their turquoise eyes), and a Long-billed Curlew coming in for a landing. Plus a lovely American White Pelican.

OH - and this first one kind of looks like a composite shot, but it was 3 swallows all wanting to land on the same post.

DSC_4375 (2).JPGDSC_4983 (2).JPGDSC_3844 (2).JPGDSC_4108 (2).JPGDSC_4325 (2).JPGDSC_3858 (2).JPG

Amie H

Angel Diva
I couldn't resist trying to get some photos of the Tree Swallows that just recently migrated back to Utah. They change directions dizzyingly fast, so I'm sure it would have been hilarious watching me spin around trying to get them in focus.

Plus a Cormorant taking off (I love their turquoise eyes), and a Long-billed Curlew coming in for a landing. Plus a lovely American White Pelican.

OH - and this first one kind of looks like a composite shot, but it was 3 swallows all wanting to land on the same post.
Wow, amazing action photos!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just saw my first 2 male hummingbirds of the season! I saw the first and hurried out to freshen up the nectar that's been sitting out and add the perch I have that had a songbird feeder in its spot for the winter. Then also added my second feeder to the backyard. Came back inside and a second male made his way over too. One is longer and skinny with a splotchy gray and white belly. The second is shorter and rounder with a fully white belly. I'm so excited that they are back! Can't wait for the females to join in and to see if I end up with more than the 4 I had last summer as regular visitors. This is around a week earlier than I normally spot them, and I was starting to worry because there have even been news articles this week about how early they are in New England this season.. yet I hadn't seen any.

I have a couple of spaced out songbird feeders in my backyard, but now I'm a bit sad I don't have the one in front anymore. Don't want to scare away the hummers with so much activity on the same Shepard's hook though.. Now I need to see if I can find a way to get a songbird feeder in front that I can see from my office but that's a bit further away.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Andean Condor (Vulture gryphus) that Ifound in Argentina.

Holy moly, this thing was the size of a cow! We were in a bus when I saw it out of the side of my eye on a hill, and I said to the photo tour leader "You get black and white cows here?"

Slam on brakes, quick reverse and this was sat eating a dead guanaco. Managed to get a heap of shots as it lumbered down the hill and took off. Feel privileged to see it bearing in mind how close to extinction it came.

condor.jpg

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! We have one at our Aviary in Utah - and they are indeed HUGE! How amazing to see a wild one!

It was absolutely awesome. We saw a few more circling at altitude but this was close up and personal. Especially as it pretty much had to run right past us to get airborne. I remember seeing all those TV reports in the 80's about having to get breeding programs underway and artificially feed chicks, so to see one out there and free is a real testament to the hard work of those people undertaking those programs, and those who supported them too.

Scribble

Angel Diva
This evening, a cooper's hawk tried to pick a fight with an owl in my backyard. I've seen the hawk hanging around for about a month and have heard (her?) yapping and whistling on occasion, but this is the first time I've actually seen what the fuss was about. The owl won the battle in a brooding, impassive sort of way, with lots of ominous staring...after yapping and hopping around for 20 minutes the hawk gave up trying to get a reaction and flew away.
20210713_195428.jpg
20210713_195237.jpg20210713_195844.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
The staring could intimidate ME! No wonder they are thought to be wise. Saves so much energy this way!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ugh, this is the time of year I hate.. the last days of hummingbird season in MA. I still had a female yesterday at my feeder, but I haven't seen any today. Thinking that might have been it, it makes me so sad.. Hoping I might still get some stragglers coming down so I'll definitely leave my feeders up for a couple more weeks just in case.

If anyone is interested, I watched this really great webinar on hummingbirds and how they use torpor to conserve energy, earlier this summer. Fascinating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna