• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any advice on helmets?

want2ski4ever

Angel Diva
I have never skied with a helmet but I am thinking of getting one this year. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Is it okay to just go to my local ski shop and start trying them on and buy the one that feels most comfortable on my head? How tight should they fit?

Thanks,

Lynette

madskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well hello there!!(nice nickname..)

First,check out how tight it is.U must feel it not too tight but not so loose too.Try to move it off your head and it must have a resistance.

Check also the ventilation system-u must have , impov, at least 3 places where the air comes and goes and this system should be closed in case of snow or badly rain...

Check also the compatibility with your goggles -i bought last year new goggles for fog and they didnt fit perfectly with my helmet-take them with you

Check also the material of inner surface.

Last but important Check the colour-it must fit your ski jacket or pants and if you are a pants addicted,better buy a black helmet!!!

:goodluck:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, fit is most important, and you *must* try your goggles with your helmet. When I got my first helmet, my goggles were shaped totally wrong for a helmet and I had to get new ones. Nowadays I think most goggles are made with helmets in mind, but you still need to check the fit.

Be aware that even a thin layer (like a balaclava) under your helmet will make a difference - as will growing your hair out / cutting it short. So try out your helmet the way you'd plan to wear it. Helmets are extremely warm, so my guess is that you won't need any extra layers anyway. I was surprised at how much warmer my old helmet was than my hat (after all, helmets are windproof); the new helmet is even warmer.

I agree, vents are important - if possible, get one where the vents adjust without having to take off the helmet. My old helmet has vents that are plugged with rubber strips that you have to remove and stash in a pocket; the new helmet has a plastic switch that opens and closes all the vents in one motion.

Finally, I'm not sure how important / easy this is, but I'll throw it out there. My helmets have soft fabric pads over the ears. I know of two friends who collided, hard. One was wearing a helmet with soft ear pads, and the other thinks that played into the concussion that had her out of work and skiing for several weeks. That being said - I don't particularly care for the styles that have plastic over the ears, nor do I know that having plastic there would have mitigated the injury. Just a thought.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I won't ski without a helmet - not just the safety, but they're warm, and they deaden the noise of my skis scraping across the New England Ice Pack. :smile: I'd recommend one with a nice thick liner that goes down over your ears. I use a Bern helmet and find it very comfortable, but you will want to try on several.

+1 on the question of the balaclava. I don't have to use one often, but on those super-cold and windy days, the turtle fur neck tube just doesn't do the trick. And it does make my helmet feel a little tight. So if you think you might want to wear one, bring your balaclava along.

I haven't had any issue with goggles - my Bern handles my Rogue Dragons and my Smith IOS just fine. The guy at the ski shop said this is typical for the Berns (very few goggle compatibility problems) but some helmets are not that way.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think all helmets have an adjustable headband; mine is a wheel at the back that tightens or loosens without taking the helmet off. It has lots of vents with the wheel on top that opens and closes them. It also has earpads which can be removed in warm weather. Finally, I have a balaclava designed to be worn with a helmet or hat, with very thin material on top and normal fleece elsewhere. And after a recent windy day, I bought a thin beanie to add to the balaclava, because even with the vents closed and the balaclava on, the wind will find a way.

Try lots on because they're shaped differently, have different ranges of adjustment or more or less airflow, and you may find you hate or love earpads. I got mine in dark grey because I knew I would buy a ski jacket but had no idea what kind.

want2ski4ever

Angel Diva
Thanks, everyone,

Looks like I am going tomorrow to start my helmet search. I will print out all of your advice and bring it with me. I'll let you know how I do.

Lynette

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, everyone,

Looks like I am going tomorrow to start my helmet search. I will print out all of your advice and bring it with me. I'll let you know how I do.

Lynette

Good luck with your helmet search! Mine was over 10 years old so I finally got a new one this year, a nice Giro one with vents on top and two spots I can adjust it so it lays just right on my head. Fits my Oakley goggles well and matches the color of the rest of my gear of course ;) It's also very warm :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Is it okay to just go to my local ski shop and start trying them on and buy the one that feels most comfortable on my head? How tight should they fit?

Thanks,

Lynette

I'm going to work backwards on these questions:

A properly fitted helmet really shouldn't have room underneath for another layer. As you're trying them on, leave the contenders on long enough to make sure there are no weird pressure spots or irritants that could start a headache. Correctly fitted, you should be able to bend over and hang your head upside down without it falling off. Upright, if you grab the helmet with your hands and wiggle it side-to-side and forward-and-back, your eyebrows should move with the helmet.

Yes, you can just walk in and try them on. You'll find each brand has its own general shape....some will be an "eh", some will be a "ouch, NO", and some will be a "yesssss". :laugh:

Once you find the right size and shape, you'll want to decide if you need things like adjustable vents, a visor, music hook-ups, soft or hard ear pads, etc. After all that, worry about whether the color matches your outfit or not. :goodluck:

Sarah

Certified Ski Diva
Ahh if only I had a normal shaped head :laugh: I had never realised that it was a problem until I tried to buy helmets for skiing and biking. It seems that I have a tall and skinny head that makes helmets sit too high if they are tight around the rest of my head :redface: . If anyone comes across something that might work I would love to know as I have yet to find anything that fits well and I have tried a lot :(

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Lots of helmets now pretty widely adjustable for tightness, which gives one the option of under-helmet balaclava or hat. I generally wear something under helmet Dec-March, rarely go without it until April, so I love having the adjustable option to tighten up when the heavy stuff comes off.

want2ski4ever

Angel Diva
Just wanted to let you all know that I ended up not getting to the ski shop this week like I planned (the closest one is 1/2 hour away and I just got too busy). But I love all of the advice I have received and will let you know how it goes when I do get there.

Lynette

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh if only I had a normal shaped head :laugh: I had never realised that it was a problem until I tried to buy helmets for skiing and biking. It seems that I have a tall and skinny head that makes helmets sit too high if they are tight around the rest of my head :redface: . If anyone comes across something that might work I would love to know as I have yet to find anything that fits well and I have tried a lot :(
Sarah have you tried the ones you inflate adjust the fit? I think Giro make them, there maybe others, I ended up buying a mens helmet and sticking daisy stickers to it as I have a very round head and could not find a ladies one that was not going to give me a ridge indent!

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sarah have you tried the ones you inflate adjust the fit? I think Giro make them, there maybe others, I ended up buying a mens helmet and sticking daisy stickers to it as I have a very round head and could not find a ladies one that was not going to give me a ridge indent!

Burton makes one that flates up too, my fiancé just got one that does that

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wanted to let you all know that I ended up not getting to the ski shop this week like I planned (the closest one is 1/2 hour away and I just got too busy). But I love all of the advice I have received and will let you know how it goes when I do get there.

Lynette

But, PLEASE get there and get your helmet before you ski again! They are mandatory equipment, IMHO, especially with all the tales of collisions here lately, I would rather ski without poles than without my helmet. We have each worn one out and have new Smith Variant Brim helmets this year. I think I would skip the brim if I were doing it again, just because I think the goggles fit better without it and, I fear, they might fog more with a brim over the top "breathing" area . . . I hope not!

DLXLDY

Certified Ski Diva
I just tested out my new RED Aletta women's helmet Friday. This is a good helmet for someone with a small head/narrow face. I bought the women's small and it fits just right - not too snug, not too loose. I'm not sure I would have room for a balaclava, but rarely wear one skiing.

The helmet has the vent adjusters under the small visor, removable earpads and neck curtain for warmer weather, a forehead strip that velcros in to seal any gap between helmet and goggles, and an inside adjuster system.

I did feel a little rub on the top of my right ear towards the end of the day, but nothing that left a mark or pain. I will check this out before my next trip.

want2ski4ever

Angel Diva
I did it - I bought a helmet! :clap:

I bought the Smith Voyage.

Here is a picture of it ...

voyage_frost_grey.jpg

Isn't she pretty? :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for all of your advice - it looked like I knew what I was talking about when I went to the ski shop to try them on today (lol). It fits like a glove (size S) and has vents on top that I can open and close with a little lever. I brought my Zeal goggles with me and they fit perfectly with the helmet, so I am all set now!

Woo-Hoo!! Smuggler's Notch, here I come!

Lynette

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hooray! Looks grrreat and you'll be safe! Good on you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly