• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anxiety

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely work with your psychologist for techniques to manage the anxiety, but also talk about planning and addressing some of the things you are worried about so you can exit the worry cycle (i.e. redirecting focus to "what you can do" to mitigate and manage things instead of "what might happen"). Remember of course not all anxiety is bad - our brain is trying to keep us safe! It's when it gets in the way of what we want to do that it's a problem.

Because the "what if" can actually take us out of the moment and make it more likely that the things we are scared of are going to happen because of the flight/fight/freeze getting in the way of skiing, it is important to have in-the-moment management strategies (like the grounding, breathing etc. which are important to practice regularly, just like working on your pre-season fitness). But it's also important to work on the practical things, which could be anything from getting fitter and stronger, learning to ski better with lessons, learning how to fall (as sometimes trying to stay upright is more dangerous to ourselves), wearing a bright orange helmet/brighter ski gear (so people can see you and are less likely to crash into you) and

Sometimes it's also about getting to the point of "feeling the fear and doing it anyway" which to me is a more ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) style approach.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was going to chime in on music. I don’t have a way to listen to music while skiing but I do sing songs in my head - Disney tunes, fun 80s music, Beyoncé - whatever puts a pep in your step. It helps me get out of my anxiety ridden brain at least temporarily in small spurts. I ski mostly alone so it helps.
The Go-Gos! "Can't Stop The World" Why let it stop you! That one got me through GMATs way back and still pops into my nervous brain as needed!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I personally use the drop in chips in my helmet ear pieces and keep it low enough that I can still have a conversation on lift rides etc. I can definitely still hear the environment around me, including snowboarder dodging lol.
I was going to suggest this. I found that listening to music just loud enough to drown out the scraping sound, especially while on the lift, has helped with my anxiety. Choose calming music, maybe not what @sibhusky listens to. :wink:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I actually make a point of listening for scrape on the lift, and looking for where it is coming from to help make an informed choice for my next run, or which side of the run, or....
That's a great idea. After I tame my anxiety a bit, I will make it a point to do this!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I actually make a point of listening for scrape on the lift, and looking for where it is coming from to help make an informed choice for my next run, or which side of the run, or....
I do this too . . . all the time. Embrace the scrape . . . and enter the run prepared!

mustski

Angel Diva
I was a theater teacher for 30 years and taught many students who were on the spectrum. The anxiety varies so much from one to another that there is no "real" solution. I would ask ... what relaxes YOU? I am not on the spectrum but I am a fearful skier and always have been. What works for me is skiing terrain where I am comfortable - over and over. Then, when I feel confident, I ski something that stretches me for a run and go back to my comfort zone. I do that as I feel like, regardless of who I am with. I also sing! This is not something I am good at so I don't belt it out, but I sing the same chorus over and over when I'm scared. It gets me out of my head.

I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about progressing to more difficult terrain. Ski where you are comfortable and have fun. Once you feel bored, try something a bit more challenging. If it scares you, go back to the comfortable runs. Then repeat until the more difficult runs are the comfort zone. Why push the anxiety button if it isn't necessary?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am very conservative and SLOOOOOW. I don't always challenge myself although I do a lot more when I'm with my ski class. The group is for over 50 (55?) and we are pretty supportive. And no one gives anyone a hard time when they take an easier route and meet back at the lift. Definitely helps me.

alicie

Angel Diva
Thanks for the advice guys.

I’ve emailed the disability snowsport Scotland people to see if they offer lessons at my local ish ski place. Judging by the price of 1:1 lessons at another place they might be out of my price range. But I’m going to see, as I think it would be good.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Turns out antianxiety pills work pretty well, lol. Had a great day at Belleayre! Went into the woods, went down the scary black diamond moguls, went down the scary double black diamond steeps, and never got anxious. It wasn't a pretty sight, but did wonders for my confidence! Sadly, my legs could not agree to the "two more skip the last" run back down the mogul run. Ungroomed, blue Esopus killed them. :(

That was Monday. Wednesday, my thighs are still so sore, and my knee is screaming, but what a day!!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Turns out antianxiety pills work pretty well, lol. Had a great day at Belleayre! Went into the woods, went down the scary black diamond moguls, went down the scary double black diamond steeps, and never got anxious. It wasn't a pretty sight, but did wonders for my confidence! Sadly, my legs could not agree to the "two more skip the last" run back down the mogul run. Ungroomed, blue Esopus killed them. :(

That was Monday. Wednesday, my thighs are still so sore, and my knee is screaming, but what a day!!
Better living through chemistry!!! And it may be once your brain gets used to these new experiences you may need less medication…or maybe not. No big deal either way. I hope we have a chance to ski together again this year

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Me too! I had a ton of fun last year!

I'm only taking half a pill, and not every day, but I've noticed a positive change. I wish I would have had them last year, but I think the comaraderie helped with my confidence as well.

alicie

Angel Diva
Well, we drive to Edinburgh tomorrow and our flight is Saturday.

I’m anxious but not as anxious as I thought I would be. My boots are good and salopettes fit fine (and I’ve lost like 6-7 lbs since I last had them on, so they should fit even better lol), my jacket fits well. I have my GoPro ready (my Nan is excited as she’s never been skiing, well she’s come with us a few times but that’s about it, and she’s 86, so she wants to see some clips).

I think I’ll get more anxious but once I’ve started it should be okay.

I’m super excited though.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Well, we drive to Edinburgh tomorrow and our flight is Saturday.

I’m anxious but not as anxious as I thought I would be. My boots are good and salopettes fit fine (and I’ve lost like 6-7 lbs since I last had them on, so they should fit even better lol), my jacket fits well. I have my GoPro ready (my Nan is excited as she’s never been skiing, well she’s come with us a few times but that’s about it, and she’s 86, so she wants to see some clips).

I think I’ll get more anxious but once I’ve started it should be okay.

I’m super excited though.
So excited for you! Have fun!

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
This may seem a little silly, given some of the great advice you’ve been given, but the most effective technique I have for dealing with fear and anxiety is pausing. I stop on the side, look around, appreciate the glory of the woods, the snow, the sky, the view. I breathe deeply. I wait until the chaos snowboarders, the ski groups have passed, and then I pick my line and go. Somehow it makes me feel more like I have “met “ the mountain, and we became friends. I feel safer.

CyberLola

Certified Ski Diva
I have quite bad anxiety and severe depression, as well as being autistic and adhd (yeah im a bundle of fun). so i really stress when it comes to skiing.

How do you deal with the anxiety surrounding skiing. im a very cautious skier. Im happy on greens and most blues (european) with parallel turns. well i say happy im still really anxious. im anxious about the actual skiing, what if i fall, what if someone hits me, what if i hit someone, what if the lifts breaks down. i detest skiing alone these days. im 27 i should be confident and alsorts but im so farfrom it

I never used to be this anxious, i was still very anxious but its just getting worse. I have a psychologist and were working on it, but im autistic so find it difficult to do things like this.

anyone got any tips or advice?
Hello.

Autistic here too and can highly relate to extreme anxiety. I'd stay away of groups if I were you, since trying to keep up with groups only generates more anxiety and fear. What I have found that helps, at least in my case when extreme anxiety and even fear takes over is to get private coaching/instructor. Only you and the instructor, he's there to guide you, answer your questions and put you at ease to build confidence again, therefore easing the anxiety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly