• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anti-Ordinary helmet

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inspecting my gear I noted a big dent in my helmet, so time for a new one. I was very interested by Australian-designed Anti-ordinary for the flexibility - the helmet is composed of a series of flexible plates rather than a single molded shell - and they claim it just fits to your head without the need for padding. Plus you can change the colour of the external beanie to suit your mood, and frankly I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

Fast forward a couple of months and $300 later it arrives: the first try on is it feel weird as it grips your head - not in an unpleasant way, it just feels different from a normal helmet: like a mild constant pressure all the way around. It doesn't move when shake my head, doesn't slide around and once I got used to the mild pressure it just feels secure.

The company say outright that it will feel different. but it shouldn't feel uncomfortable: if it does go up a size. The component panels are held in place by a silicon band and you can move this a bit to back off some of the pressure for fine tuning. It's certified to various safety criteria so no worries there either.

The only thing I don't like (but only a small thing really) is that I don't get the complete seal with my goggles that I do with the same brand helmet - but I guess that's not that uncommon.

Website is here:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting! I've never heard of such a thing. I would've been interested to see what it looked like without the beanie cover, but I'm not seeing it on the website. Is it warm? And is there any venting?

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting! I've never heard of such a thing. I would've been interested to see what it looked like without the beanie cover, but I'm not seeing it on the website. Is it warm? And is there any venting?
There are pictures of the construction in the Safety page and also in the videos, Old Mate shows it naked - it's supposed to be worn with the cover but he does say you can take it off if you want - it looks a little to industrial for my taste if you do that.

It's still a while off before I get to test it in the wild for warmth - the beanie cover comes down over the ears though.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen the ads in my feed and have been curious. I'll be watching for your review after using it for a bit.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This has been popping up in my feed a lot recently so I'll be interested to hear how you find it.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would be interested to hear your feedback! I remember Demon put out a hat/beanie with D3O about a decade ago but it didn't have any safety certification as far as I recall! Also interested to know how it compares temperature wise to a beanie alone.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There are pictures of the construction in the Safety page and also in the videos, Old Mate shows it naked - it's supposed to be worn with the cover but he does say you can take it off if you want - it looks a little to industrial for my taste if you do that.

It's still a while off before I get to test it in the wild for warmth - the beanie cover comes down over the ears though.

Ah, I see it now. Thanks!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would be interested to hear your feedback! I remember Demon put out a hat/beanie with D3O about a decade ago but it didn't have any safety certification as far as I recall! Also interested to know how it compares temperature wise to a beanie alone.
There's a good inch of actual reinforcement under the beanie so I reckon it'd be more on par with a helmet: it has a nice wool lining as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tele4Eva