• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Another heel lift question.. is this obscenely big??

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
https://www.tognar.com/boot-fitting-foam-l-pads-2-pr/

IMG_6398__74508.1571763020.JPG

https://www.tognar.com/boot-fitting-foam-modified-ankle-wrap-pads-pr/
IMG_1841__43160.1571605132.JPG
thank you kindly!! darn the shipping costs though >_< :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you in the US? For the heck of it I just put in my shipping info, and 1st class mail was only $2.95. Alternatively, if you live close to a boot fitter, they likely have them in stock and you can purchase there.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have actually used sticky-backed wide foam tape cut to size from the hardware store rather than "proper" J pads before! I wouldn't recommend it for any complicated shapes or the ones that wrap around the heel though.

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
Are you in the US? For the heck of it I just put in my shipping info, and 1st class mail was only $2.95. Alternatively, if you live close to a boot fitter, they likely have them in stock and you can purchase there.
no, I am in Canada, southwestern BC :smile: Thanks for checking.
It's the shipping to Canada that makes it pricey: $27 USD including shipping, which works out to $35 CAD :(
I will look at the place @elemmac has posted in her comment and see if it's any cheaper. At the end of the day though, at least it still costs less than a new pair of boots :doh: lol

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
Lots of places sell boot fitting pads…if shipping is super high for the one posted, here’s another option that I’ve used: https://bootfittingsupply.com/
I checked there, thank you for that! It comes to almost the same price with shipping. HOWEVER, good news: I called a local ski/board/cycling shop and they have the J style (or baninis) :D as well as the full ankle wrap style, around $5 and $10 a pair, CAD. For anyone else in the Lower Mainland of BC the store is Mad Dog's Ski & Board. So eventually I will find the time to get out there and buy 'em there :smile: THANK YOU EVERYONE for your replies and your ideas...so, so very helpful and I am truly grateful for this forum and community :D

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
I tried heel lifts last year, mostly to take up space, and it threw me completely off. This year I have a different foot bed to take up the space and some of those sticky pads on the outside of the liner to lock my heel down. Much better. Now I need to be careful which socks I grab, most of my ski socks are too thick.
May I ask where you got the sticky pads that help lock your heel down and/or what brand they are? Thank you!!!

mustski

Angel Diva
I just got new ski boots, and they have a much more upright stance than my previous boots. I tried w/out heel lifts as suggested by my my boot fitter… yikes! I felt like I was riding my tails and could not get forward enough to pressure my tips. Nothing I tried helped and it was such a relief to ski the next day with heel lifts again. It was a 1000 x better. If you need them, you’ll know.

However, heel lifts are not a good solution to “take up room” to make a boot fit better. In fact be careful what type of pads you use to secure your heel. I’ve had so many different placements of pads- none of which worked. @SnowHot put some L shaped pads in my old boots and, for the first time in my life, my heel stayed secure and I didn’t slide forward in my boot. If I have the same problem in my new boots, we’ll do the same thing.

the long and the short of it is this … if you have lousy dorsiflexion and slide forward in your boot, a pad behind the heel will make that worse, not better.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got new ski boots, and they have a much more upright stance than my previous boots. I tried w/out heel lifts as suggested by my my boot fitter… yikes! I felt like I was riding my tails and could not get forward enough to pressure my tips. Nothing I tried helped and it was such a relief to ski the next day with heel lifts again. It was a 1000 x better. If you need them, you’ll know.

However, heel lifts are not a good solution to “take up room” to make a boot fit better. In fact be careful what type of pads you use to secure your heel. I’ve had so many different placements of pads- none of which worked. @SnowHot put some L shaped pads in my old boots and, for the first time in my life, my heel stayed secure and I didn’t slide forward in my boot. If I have the same problem in my new boots, we’ll do the same thing.

the long and the short of it is this … if you have lousy dorsiflexion and slide forward in your boot, a pad behind the heel will make that worse, not better.
100% this!
Bootfitting is specific to the person in so manyways.

For instance. I'm in the same boot that @mustski is in but we are set up very differently for balance and other situational factors.

Not everone needs heel lifts, some do.
Not everyone repsondes to heel pads. Some do.
Not everyone likes spoilers. Some do.
We're all different. Embrace it and find the person who will address YOUR needs.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I'm struggling with quads being completely shot quickly, ever since I got my new boot fitted boots a few years ago (it's so bad I've barely skied since then.) I admit I'm not strong but I've been squatting and deadlifting for a year and a half and can do quite a lot of weight. So can someone explain the mechanics of this issue in more detail? I had lifts in my previous boots and thought that really helped me stay forward, but you're saying lifts cause you to be too far back, causing the quad pain...

note: I am horrible to fit for boots because of long, low volume foot with high instep. Both times I've been bootfitted I ended up with jr racing boots.
I also have long size 10.5/11 AAA feet and wear Dalbello DRS110 in 25.5. originally was fitted in Nordica Pro Machine 110 (mens). The plastic was too stiff for me to even get them on once we left the store. I like my boots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly