• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ankle injuries

marzNC

Angel Diva
Someone just told me that it's been shown that RICE is not only ineffective, but may retard healing. What?? I'd never heard that, so I started reading about it. Huh.
For what it's worth, I didn't do RICE when I injured my knee. I was in China at the time. My older cousin and my parent's friend who is a research physician were very clear that after the first 24 hours I should keep my knee warm, not cold. The idea was to promote blood flow, which is part of promoting healing in that sort of injury. I found a video back then that was pretty detailed about why icing was a bad idea. The target audience of the video was weight lifters, both amateur and professional. It made sense to me.

My mother took a Chinese approach to healing after breaking a leg at age 70 (around 1984). She took Yunnan Baiyao and stayed off her feet as much as possible the first 6 weeks. Also ate stuff considered good in Chinese tradition, like homemade bone broth. She had a full leg cast even though the break was near the ankle. She had a bed moved to the main floor so she didn't have to deal with stairs. Got a wheelchair for going around the house. Could stand fine for cooking.

Her doctor was totally astonished at her first checkup. He'd told her in the ER that she would be in a cast for up to 6 months given her age. His comment after seeing the X-ray result was that she was healing like a 40yo. The rest of her recovery was based on quick healing, not the typical scenario for a senior.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So, my physical therapist recommends ice for pain relief but only at specific times/intervals - like, right before bed for pain management. She also does NOT recommend heat unless the heat is prior to movement - she told me to be aware that a heat pack (which I have used on sore parts ALL THE TIME) is bad right before bed because you bring all the blood there and then it just kind of pools there without the movement.

Since she is working a miracle on my shoulder, I thought that might be worth sharing?
I didn't use heat on my knee. But I did keep it warm. I got a soft knee brace for extra support. Since I was being extra careful and using two crutches for the first few weeks, I mostly wore the knee brace to keep the knee warm. When it got colder several months later, I would wear the knee brace when going out on cold days. I had a small hole in the meniscus that could heal without medical intervention. My ortho doc wouldn't give me a time estimate on getting to 100% healed. So I kept up the Yunnan Baiyao and keeping the knee warm for about six months.

Also did acupuncture. Twice a week to start, then weekly, then back to monthly per usual.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve definitely heard that you want the body to go through the inflammatory process so it can heal. Circulation is pretty much always a good thing. Hot/cold therapy (as opposed to just one or the other) is used to promote circulation, as well as massage therapy.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
RE: icing.... I think the difference is acute injury vs. muscle fatigue. This article explains the current trends...

and fwiw the study cited was done on mice.... and prior studies were done on rats.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
I sent my little Sony RX100 point and shoot with Rob. He's not a photographer, but that little thing did an okay job! Rob took tons of photos so that I could feel like I was there. They had a great trip. Next year!

1631382391983.jpeg

Yearling cubs playing.
1631382549243.jpeg

These cubs look sooo tired lol. Love The frog legs.
1631382730431.jpeg

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used a hydrotherapy program for a bad ankle sprain. The idea was to simulate pumping blood through the area by immersing it in very hot then very cold water. After that, a 5-10 massage, preferably using castor oil, was recommended.

Christy

Angel Diva
I used a hydrotherapy program for a bad ankle sprain. The idea was to simulate pumping blood through the area by immersing it in very hot then very cold water. After that, a 5-10 massage, preferably using castor oil, was recommended.
Thanks, I'll see what the doctor thinks about that for a fracture!

Christy

Angel Diva
I had my three-week x-ray/follow-up and it is healing just fine, thanks! Three more weeks in the boot, then light-duty only, plus PT since I have a history of instability in that ankle. I am sure getting around a lot better in the boot, though I'm being pretty diligent about the doctors orders to only be on my feet 10 minutes per hour at most. But yesterday I got my husband to take me to the open house at the horse rescue where I volunteer when I'm not broken. It was so great to go and see the horses and scratch under their forelocks.

Does anyone have any favorite exercise videos they discovered with an injured foot or ankle? I figured out quite a lot of Pilates exercises I can do, and I found a series of videos by an Australian woman on YouTube that has both Pilates and HIIT exercises you can do in a walking boot. It's fantastic to have found a cardio workout I can do in a boot. But, I'm always looking for something new.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Glad to hear you’re healing well. I’m no help with the exercises - had big plans to find stuff when I was laid up, but a complete and utter lack of follow through!

newboots

Angel Diva
Glad to hear you’re healing well. I’m no help with the exercises - had big plans to find stuff when I was laid up, but a complete and utter lack of follow through!

I resemble that remark!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The best advice I have from our household injuries in the ankle arena is that calf strength and stretching will be a huge boost to your recovery. You can start foam rolling your calf sooner rather than later, and that will prevent a world of woes in your regaining your strength and function.

Christy

Angel Diva
The best advice I have from our household injuries in the ankle arena is that calf strength and stretching will be a huge boost to your recovery. You can start foam rolling your calf sooner rather than later, and that will prevent a world of woes in your regaining your strength and function.
I can do that; I love foam rolling.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I hurt my shoulder and have to foam roll nightly. It’s a real game changer in terms of helping with healing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965