• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ankle injuries

altagirl

Staff member
DH is like that with "needing" a morning shower and will shower before doing yard work or something on a weekend and I'm always a little baffled... but habits are habits I guess! I guess we are the reverse of you and your husband!

Honestly when I've been through injuries that made showering difficult or dangerous... I just didn't and used a washcloth. Threw my hair up in a bun and called it good. You're not exercising and getting sweaty after all. And most stylists seem to agree that washing your hair infrequently as you can get away with is healthier for your hair. Call it an experiment. :tongue:

I do second backpacks for carrying things around. And I also like having at least one crutch when injured and out in public as it makes people more aware to not bump into you. Hopefully social distancing helps too!

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
DH is like that with "needing" a morning shower and will shower before doing yard work or something on a weekend and I'm always a little baffled... but habits are habits I guess! I guess we are the reverse of you and your husband!

Honestly when I've been through injuries that made showering difficult or dangerous... I just didn't and used a washcloth. Threw my hair up in a bun and called it good. You're not exercising and getting sweaty after all. And most stylists seem to agree that washing your hair infrequently as you can get away with is healthier for your hair. Call it an experiment. :tongue:

I do second backpacks for carrying things around. And I also like having at least one crutch when injured and out in public as it makes people more aware to not bump into you. Hopefully social distancing helps too!
I used to be like that. Showering first thing was as essential as a cup of coffee. I wouldn't do it before yard work or working out anymore, but I still do love a shower, and let's face it--my schedule is now painfully clear and I have ample time for the extra steps I need to take.

Gosh this puts extra strain on the other leg/knee/hip. I did get a shoe leveler but still. I now appreciate all those one legged squats I do in one Pilates class. It seems easy to imagine popping an ACL on the good leg with all the extra work, and weird things I am asking of it.

I'm trying to figure out what exercises I can do. I got hooked on Yoga with Adriene during the pandemic and have done her wheelchair yoga this week. It seems like I can do some ab stuff okay.

Christy

Angel Diva
So, how’d you do this weekend, @Christy?
Perfectly well, thanks! I thought I was going to have to text my neighbors ask them to take the garbage out and get the mail, so I didn't have to go down the stairs in the front or the back, but it turns out I can do stairs on my butt.

My husband and SIL are texting me tons of photos of "my" vacation. Lol they raved about the hike I picked up today. It's kind of funny to have other people take your vacation for you… I almost feel like I'm there…

They are headed to Katmai to see the bears in the morning. I am very jealous, but also really excited for them to go.

newboots

Angel Diva
Wow, @Christy, you have a remarkably good attitude! I'm sad, though, that you can't go see the bears. Next year, maybe? It sounds like a wonderful vacation.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Perfectly well, thanks! I thought I was going to have to text my neighbors ask them to take the garbage out and get the mail, so I didn't have to go down the stairs in the front or the back, but it turns out I can do stairs on my butt.

My husband and SIL are texting me tons of photos of "my" vacation. Lol they raved about the hike I picked up today. It's kind of funny to have other people take your vacation for you… I almost feel like I'm there…

They are headed to Katmai to see the bears in the morning. I am very jealous, but also really excited for them to go.
Glad you're managing and that they are having a good time. Any chance you'll be able to see them on the cameras or are they all facing toward the bears and none of a viewing area?

Christy

Angel Diva
Glad you're managing and that they are having a good time. Any chance you'll be able to see them on the cameras or are they all facing toward the bears and none of a viewing area?
Correct, they are attached to and face away from the viewing platforms.

Christy

Angel Diva
I thought this was interesting. So my discharge papers from urgent care included RICE. Ice every 3 hours, at first. Then when I talked to the doctor the next day, he said, you can ice and elevate for pain relieve but it doesn't really promote healing. I continued to do it as I still had the idea it was good. Someone just told me that it's been shown that RICE is not only ineffective, but may retard healing. What?? I'd never heard that, so I started reading about it. Huh.

I'm not sure if this is applicable to my fracture, but this was all new to me. Icing does feel good, but will it retard healing?

But, in recent years, exercise scientists have started throwing cold water on the supposed benefits of icing. In a 2011 study, for example, people who iced a torn calf muscle felt just as much leg pain later as those who left their sore leg alone, and they were unable to return to work or other activities any sooner. Similarly, a 2012 scientific review concluded that athletes who iced sore muscles after strenuous exercise — or, for the masochistically minded, immersed themselves in ice baths — regained muscular strength and power more slowly than their unchilled teammates. And a sobering 2015 study of weight training found that men who regularly applied ice packs after workouts developed less muscular strength, size and endurance than those who recovered without ice.

The upshot of this data is that “in our experimental situation, icing retards healthy inflammatory responses,” says Takamitsu Arakawa, a professor of medicine at Kobe University Graduate School of Health Sciences, who oversaw the new study.

But, as Dr. Arakawa points out, their experimental model simulates serious muscle damage, such as a strain or tear, and not simple soreness or fatigue. The study also, obviously, involved mice, which are not people, even if our muscles share a similar makeup. In future studies, Dr. Arakawa and his colleagues plan to study gentler muscle damage in animals and people.

But for now, his study’s findings suggest, he says, that damaged, aching muscles know how to heal themselves and our best response is to chill out and leave the ice packs in the cooler.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, my physical therapist recommends ice for pain relief but only at specific times/intervals - like, right before bed for pain management. She also does NOT recommend heat unless the heat is prior to movement - she told me to be aware that a heat pack (which I have used on sore parts ALL THE TIME) is bad right before bed because you bring all the blood there and then it just kind of pools there without the movement.

Since she is working a miracle on my shoulder, I thought that might be worth sharing?

altagirl

Staff member
I’ve read a timy bit about that, too. I hate when things change, lol.
Same. And I do need it sometimes for pain management because my stomach can't tolerate NSAIDs anymore, so it's definitely a key tool for that part of things for me. But I have read that it's probably unhelpful for healing, which is a bummer. I've done ice baths too in the past - and it's a little maddening after the fact to find out that was actually counterproductive. Blergh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna