• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Andorra

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
So, we are finalizing the holiday in Spain, France, and Andorra from 10/18 for about 3 weeks.
We are going to spend a week in Andorra.

Andorra is a tiny principality that most of it is ski resorts. It is licated in the Pyrenees. I met someone on a chair in one of the mountains in Aspen a few years back. He was an athlete competing in Aspen. I did not know there was a country called Andorra then. DOH.

Anyhow, totally intrigued by what he said. Came home to find out what/where Andorra is and decided then, we need to go have a look.

Anyone been there? Unfortunately, we will be there when the ski resorts are not yet opened due to my schedule. I cannot miss any days in Aspen because I work in the guest service, super part time.

@SkiGAP was very kind to share her experience.

Hoping that some of you have been there.
Thanks, ladies!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
As you mention, I'm always ready to talk about Andorra, as I have an apartment there, and consider it my home mountain. I only know of one other Diva that has been. But I would be pleased to discover others!

It could be great location for Diva Europe :-)

And March 2023 Andorra will host the World Cup skiing finals for the second time. Last time (4 years ago), was amazing!

One thing I can say, each year, even for a quasi local like myself, you find something that the Country has done to improve the customer experience - for skiers and non-skiers alike. The Frenchies who go always comment on the extreme customer focus.

I love Andorra - and am so glad I own there. :-)

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
As you mention, I'm always ready to talk about Andorra, as I have an apartment there, and consider it my home mountain. I only know of one other Diva that has been. But I would be pleased to discover others!

And March 2023 Andorra will host the World Cup skiing finals for the second time. Last time (4 years ago), was amazing!

One thing I can say, each year, even for a quasi local like myself, you find something that the Country has done to improve the customer experience - for skiers and non-skiers alike. The Frenchies who go always comment on the extreme customer focus.

Hi there.
Thanks for your comments.
We are going there to look for some properties.
Really excited.
What a great idea about Diva Europe!

:clap:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

It's on my list.... have never been to the Pyrenees.... BF and I watch the Tour de France and Vuelta bike races and drool......

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
I am a bit late here , sorry !
I live in Andorra ( 16 years ) . We love it but also have property in France .
I think you picked the worse time to look for property tbh . Prices through the roof and availability rock bottom . Many of the rules for residency have just changed too which could be good or bad , depending on your situation .
Snow is pretty bad so far but we stayed open ..better than many resorts in France .
All the ski stations are under the same ski pass ( not just for a season pass as previously ) . And if you are resident it cost just € 390 for the whole year , for the whole country .
it’s started snowing à we hope for a metre by the end of the week

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I am a bit late here , sorry !
I live in Andorra ( 16 years ) . We love it but also have property in France .
I think you picked the worse time to look for property tbh . Prices through the roof and availability rock bottom . Many of the rules for residency have just changed too which could be good or bad , depending on your situation .
Snow is pretty bad so far but we stayed open ..better than many resorts in France .
All the ski stations are under the same ski pass ( not just for a season pass as previously ) . And if you are resident it cost just € 390 for the whole year , for the whole country .
it’s started snowing à we hope for a metre by the end of the week
Thanks.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I skied in Andorra the week before Christmas in 1981. It was a low end package bus(!) trip for university students that left out of London. The bus drove to a Channel ferry, drove off the ferry and on down to Andorra. It cost all of 99pounds (about $200 then ) including transport, lift, lodging double occupancy, rentals, and breakfast. Not much snow, so not much skiing….don’t think there was any manmade snow there then. We made picnic lunches that we ate right alongside the piste after a run or two. The morning coffee and the cheap wine the rest of the day were memorable. It seemed pretty undiscovered back then. At the time as I recall, there was some system of alternating French and Spanish as official language. Spanish predominated in the locale we were at. Not much English was spoken. I’m sure lots has changed, but I’d go back if the right circumstances arose…later in the season though for skiing as well as wine and coffee!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I skied in Andorra the week before Christmas in 1981. It was a low end package bus(!) trip for university students that left out of London. The bus drove to a Channel ferry, drove off the ferry and on down to Andorra. It cost all of 99pounds (about $200 then ) including transport, lift, lodging double occupancy, rentals, and breakfast. Not much snow, so not much skiing….don’t think there was any manmade snow there then. We made picnic lunches that we ate right alongside the piste after a run or two. The morning coffee and the cheap wine the rest of the day were memorable. It seemed pretty undiscovered back then. At the time as I recall, there was some system of alternating French and Spanish as official language. Spanish predominated in the locale we were at. Not much English was spoken. I’m sure lots has changed, but I’d go back if the right circumstances arose…later in the season though for skiing as well as wine and coffee!
We were there in November.
Not to ski as it was way too early, of course. Well, our friend, who lives in Andorra, told us yesterday, he gave up to ski this season. Going hiking instead.
So little snow. :eek: Yikes.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Interesting recall on the language. The official language here is Catalan...which is somewhere between French and Spanish .

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Bet he changes his mind this week . tbf we did pretty well up at Arcalis last week too.
We were there in November.
Not to ski as it was way too early, of course. Well, our friend, who lives in Andorra, told us yesterday, he gave up to ski this season. Going hiking instead.
So little snow. :eek: Yikes.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Yes . And it won’t stop for a week.
We don’t get snow like you guys but we usually have a couple of decent dumps every season . And then we have the mountain to ourselves quite often which is fabulous .
It’s not for you if skiing is your life . If you can choose anywhere in the world then I think Europe would come quite low in terms of snow . The Pyrenees usually has more snow than the western alps ( something the French never admit to !)

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Interesting recall on the language. The official language here is Catalan...which is somewhere between French and Spanish .
I wonder if back then, Catalan was not officially recognized, and perhaps Andorra was not entitle autonomous. From what I understand Catalan has a wonderful history, entirely independent from Spanish or French. They all branched off in Roman times. I studied French, my husband Spanish. I do much better translating Catalan on menus than he does. To my ear it sounds like Spanish but reads like French. I’m glad it is the official language of Andorra.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Andorra was created by Charlemagne and has been a principality since 1278 . Catalan is closer to French than Spanish but I fully agree with your summary

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly