• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Am I super uptight?

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
I wish all parents at my home hill were skiers of some sort. Haven't really figured out why total non-skiers who have no interest in learning themselves spend money on getting their young children on skis.

I know this reply is out of date, but I feel like I (like @Iwannaski) could kind have been this parent. Why did I spend money to get my kid into an expensive sport/hobby when I wasn’t a skier?
-I wanted to ski as a kid and my family couldn’t afford the school ski club. My husband and I can afford it for our kid.
-I moved further north in my adulthood. Winter is long. I wanted my kids to have physical activity in the long winters.
-skiing is intimidating to start as an adult. I didn’t know we’d become a ski family, but I knew I wanted my kids to be *able* to go skiing with friends in MS/HS/college. To not feel like an interloper as I did on the slopes.
-Ski club looked like a social thing, and I wanted my kiddo to have more chances to make friends. As a transplant to the region, I wasn’t super well connected with area moms, so he didn’t have a lot of built-in go-to friends in early elementary school.

So I took advantage of NYS learn to ski discounts for 3rd and 4th graders. I got him an hour lesson here and 90 minutes there. I watched Craigslist in 3 cities and got my parents to pick up a set of skis and poles and boots that looked good, and arranged to hand them over at his fall birthday. I signed him up in the 4th-6th grade ski club and told him/the advisors that he needed the beginner lessons—because the club was billed as including a lesson in the first hour of their 3 hrs per week excursions.
And then I sent him off to school with all his gear, went to work, and crossed my fingers that afternoon. He’d had a few lessons already. He was scheduled for another. There were adult advisors and an established program, and I just tried to trust them.
It turned out to be poorly organized. He didn’t get a lesson the first week. (I called and made sure that got fixed for the second week.) I found a way to work from the base lodge WiFi for a few hours per week and went to keep an eye on the situation from there. It got better.

I wouldn’t say that I was a skier when I signed my kid up for lessons and got him started. I wanted him to have the option of skiing comfortably as an adult, even if I couldn’t, so I signed him up and made it happen. My husband had never been on skis, but he went along with my reasoning and made sure we always came home to a hot meal on those Wednesday ski club nights.

The next year I got a parent club pass and skied a little, too. (I’d been skiing a few times a decade+ earlier, so maybe I wasn’t a “total non-skier”.)

We grew into skiing together.

FWIW, I aggravated the heck out of my younger kiddo by forcing him to stay on alpha slope (beginner lift hill) for multiple visits this year, until he could prove he could control his speed, even if he loves to go fast. We played follow the leader so many times, snaking down that slope over and over before I let him revisit the longer greens he’d made it down a few times last year. So at least one of my kids has the benefit of a skiing parent as he learns!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know this reply is out of date, but I feel like I (like @Iwannaski) could kind have been this parent. Why did I spend money to get my kid into an expensive sport/hobby when I wasn’t a skier?
-I wanted to ski as a kid and my family couldn’t afford the school ski club. My husband and I can afford it for our kid.
-I moved further north in my adulthood. Winter is long. I wanted my kids to have physical activity in the long winters.
-skiing is intimidating to start as an adult. I didn’t know we’d become a ski family, but I knew I wanted my kids to be *able* to go skiing with friends in MS/HS/college. To not feel like an interloper as I did on the slopes.
-Ski club looked like a social thing, and I wanted my kiddo to have more chances to make friends. As a transplant to the region, I wasn’t super well connected with area moms, so he didn’t have a lot of built-in go-to friends in early elementary school.
. . .
Thanks for continuing the discussion. Those are perfectly reasonable reasons.

The situation I was referring to is in the southeast, near Washington DC. It is NOT cold enough for skiing to be a common social activity for kids, especially when the parents are from another country where there wasn't any skiing when they were growing up.

I do understand the idea of parents who want their kids to experience something different. However, what some of them don't realize is how much risk is involved with sending off a tween or teen to the slopes alone or with other kids who are equally inexperienced. I've stopped often enough over the years to help a kid who has no clue what to do after a fall that pops a binding, and neither does the other kid with him (usually a boy).

The next year I got a parent club pass and skied a little, too. (I’d been skiing a few times a decade+ earlier, so maybe I wasn’t a “total non-skier”.)

We grew into skiing together.
Good for you! Clearly you and your kids have skiing "in their genes" in some way. :smile:

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
The situation I was referring to is in the southeast, near Washington DC. It is NOT cold enough for skiing to be a common social activity for kids, especially when the parents are from another country where there wasn't any skiing when they were growing up.

I never in a million years would’ve invested the time or money in that scenario, I’ll be honest! I’m loving skiing for our family now, but there have to be more reasonable family activities in the DC area.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
However, what some of them don't realize is how much risk is involved with sending off a tween or teen to the slopes alone or with other kids who are equally inexperienced.
This is one of my big fears! I hoped that starting him in 3rd and 4th grade would help avoid that. Now that he’s in middle school, I do worry what he and friends could egg each other on to, but at least he has a few years of experience and skiing judgment under his belt now. And, you know, his brother broke an arm skating last year, which maybe has made him more aware of risk. (Not the little guy. His attitude has now become “well, even if I get hurt, I know I already dealt with breaking both bones in my forearm.” He’s killing me.)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@jumperlass ... your summary for why is the same reason I did what I did. Because I wanted the kids to feel native on slopes when they got older. Most of my college and grad school friends were native skiers, and learning as a young adult was definitely more challenging.

I will be presumptuous and say that I think I (I wrote we originally, and then edited, b/c tbh DH was a great cheerleader, but this year was all me) did it the right way, working with our kids, teaching them safety rules, challenging myself to keep up to ensure that they weren't out of control. I don't know if you read some of the stories I posted in the original post, but there are clearly parents who do not do it that way. And I guess, if you don't know what you don't know... it's hard. I would just assume that even minor due diligence about the sport would tell even non-skier parents what was needed to get their spawn moving on the slopes safely.

And then, if someone is a ski-naive parent, are you really helping your children access a lifelong skill? or are you creating situations with tremendous risk that outweighs the reward? Worse yet, if you're a skier and haven't taught your kids this and throw them out on the slopes while drinking in the bar, are you doing any better?

Are the hills responsible for creating more awareness? Are the parents responsible for educating themselves and their kids? the only people I hold somewhat blameless are the kids, who will bravado their way through because that's the age...

I'm honestly curious about how to address this.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
This is one of my big fears! I hoped that starting him in 3rd and 4th grade would help avoid that. Now that he’s in middle school, I do worry what he and friends could egg each other on to, but at least he has a few years of experience and skiing judgment under his belt now. And, you know, his brother broke an arm skating last year, which maybe has made him more aware of risk. (Not the little guy. His attitude has now become “well, even if I get hurt, I know I already dealt with breaking both bones in my forearm.” He’s killing me.)

Once they're in middle school, you just chant, "I'm a reed in the wind" and hope that you put in the right foundation.

Or at least that's what I'm doing. Oh, and remembering to breathe.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
@Iwannaski, we’ve been...I mean, “fortunate” isn’t the word, but...relieved, a little, that this year he’s had family ski time instead of ski club at school. We try to go when we know another family is going so the pair of 7th graders can hie off on their own together, but it’s not a pack of wildings burning off post-schoolday energy on the slopes.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
@jumperlass .... I don't know if you read some of the stories I posted in the original post, but there are clearly parents who do not do it that way. And I guess, if you don't know what you don't know... it's hard. I would just assume that even minor due diligence about the sport would tell even non-skier parents what was needed to get their spawn moving on the slopes safely.

As a relative newcomer, I guess what I’d say is that there really is no “minor due diligence”.

There are too many aspects of this sport for newcomers to pick up on all of them quickly. And newcomers don’t have enough experience to know how to prioritize it.

Think of how many fora there are on this site! Boots—how should they fit? What is mondo? What is flex? What do those numbers mean? What kind of ski in what length with what bindings? How do I know what gear I can safely pick up on Craigslist vs having to buy new? What’s safe?

I think for the ski naive, they either have money to throw at those questions—just pay for rentals, just buy new gear in a package put together in a ski shop—or they have a ton to consider budget wise and safety wise before you ever touch the issues of slopeside judgment and etiquette. The due diligence isn’t minor even before you get to the ski area. Decision fatigue and the time constraints of teaching yourself something new from online resources are real.

I think there are plenty of parents who would willingly sign up their kid for ski club—especially a ski club that lists lessons at the start of every outing, as most around here do—without knowing more was needed. I mean, who learns all the intricacy of soccer before letting their kid join a summer league? (I didn’t. I bought him shin guards (secondhand!) and some tall socks, made sure he had a water bottle, and sent him off.) If you’ve never been skiing, do you really know that joining ski club is any different? Should it actually be any different? I know that it is. Heck, I even know why it is different in a ton of school clubs. The teacher who’s paid a few hundred dollars per year to ride herd on a dozen or 25 kids on the bus and to sit at the base to be available for check-ins is basically your after school child care, not a ski instructor. They’ll help if your kid loses something. They’ll be a point of contact if parental contact is needed. They’ll make sure everyone gets back on the bus. Hopefully they’ll hit some hills and recognize their charges, call them on unsafe behavior they happen to be around to witness. But if your kid decides to ditch the provided ski lesson in favor of hitting the slopes immediately, probably no one stops him. I don’t know that that is obvious to non ski parents, who think they’ve done their due diligence in signing up for the school bus, the Wednesday 4-7pm lift pass, the rental gear, and the one meal of credit per week in the cafeteria.

And then, if someone is a ski-naive parent, are you really helping your children access a lifelong skill? or are you creating situations with tremendous risk that outweighs the reward?

It’s a conundrum. I find skiing less "welcoming" as a sport than some other activities have been. Not because skiers are unkind, but because there’s a very steep learning curve and mistakes can be financially or physically expensive.

I don’t come from a skiing family. I didn't have skier friends when I set my family on this path. I didn't know DIN or ski length or mondo. I didn't have handmedown gear or know anyone to borrow from. I didn't know how to evaluate what used gear was physically safe to let my son use. I didn't know who gave good beginner lessons or whose season pass was best for experienced skiers and whose for beginners. (We don't live near any big name resorts, but there are 4 local hills within 35 minutes of home. One is *definitely* not the place to start out, but how do you know that ahead of time? For the record, anyone in CNY, Greek Peak and Song Mountain both do good never-ever beginner lessons. Song takes a break for a cookie and hot cocoa midlesson, thus earning the undying affection of my kindergartner, but Greek has friendlier lifts and greens for that first season of getting out there beyond lessons. Lab and Toggenberg are good fun if you already know what you're doing.) I'd actually been skiing a few times, so I knew enough to know that there was more to it than that, but that was honestly quite enough to be going on with! If I had never been on skis before, would I have imagined that there was a world of other knowledge that I'd be expected to know and be able to share with my kid, as well?

SkiDiva.com is a gift, in that regard. I have read a LOT of posts here over the last two years. I have learned a lot. And I've made community friends who ski, which has also helped. (Also, we went from one stable income with the prospect of a second to two stable incomes, which gives me room to make a mistake here and there in deciding which ski club/lesson/ski to pay for.) I love skiing for myself, and I love sharing it with my family. But I have been intentionally working toward that for four years now, which is a lot more time than any other sport or hobby has required for me to feel comfortable and welcome in it.

I don't know how we help ski naive parents raise native skiers. Seeing my kids ski has inspired a friend to get her kids out there. Seeing me ski with my kids has encouraged a different friend to get the school ski club parent pass, as well. I pass on gear deals and suggestions of which lessons/hills to try. I remind my kid of safety and etiquette in front of them and their kids. It's not scalable; it's just that now I'm woven into the skier net, even if I'm still near the edges of it.

I don't know what the answer is. I think we depend on the network, the idea of a ski community. I think that parents who pitch their kids into the sport without themselves knowing how to navigate it, are trusting the essential goodwill of everyone out there to look out for each other on some level. The teacher keeping watch for frustrated or crying kids--with ski trouble or social trouble--in the ski club. The instructor teaching ski code along with technique. The other parents who stop and help their kid get her boots back into her bindings after a fall. The skiers who stop to tell ski patrol that a slew of middle schoolers are behaving like hooligans on Trail X and need to have the riot act read to them. The ski patrol who does it. But the ski naive families who want to break into the sport--even if only on their kids' behalf--are counting on us to look out for each other.

This went on a wild tangent, and my lunch break is about over. I'm pretty sure this braindump needs editing, but I hope you'll take it as is.

And, for the record, @Iwannaski, I do think you did it right. Good job.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
I think I got a little preachy at the end. This entire community already looks out for each other. You didn't need to hear it from me.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I got a little preachy at the end. This entire community already looks out for each other. You didn't need to hear it from me.

I thought it was well said! I'm a relatively new skier -- I moved to Utah as an adult and I decided to take advantage of the terrain in my backyard. It still surprises me that my kids are *native Utahns* and that yes, they will be the expert skiers their college friends envy/roll their eyes at. The learning curve is steep and I'm managing it for three new skiers at once.

And skiing is different than other sports. If my kid joins the school cross country team, I've done my due diligence as a parent by buying him running shoes and signing the permission slip. So it's not surprising to me that parents might be thinking that *being at the lodge* while the kid skis is just the same as *being in the parent area* at dance.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I find skiing less "welcoming" as a sport than some other activities have been. Not because skiers are unkind, but because there’s a very steep learning curve and mistakes can be financially or physically expensive.
I've been reading a book about the "lost ski areas" in the Berkshires of western MA. Seems very clear that the way families got involved with skiing in the 1930s through about the 1950s is very different than after 2010 or so. The local ski clubs had a few slopes with rope tows and even lights. Beginners were actively taught and had plenty of company among their peers and friends. Most disbanded by the 1960s. How many families get started who don't have a skiing history is quite different now, even in New England where there are still small "old school" mountains available.

What do you know of Snow Operating? What they are doing at the indoor slope in NJ is a very different introduction to skiing/boarding than most newbies experience. Unless they happen to start at a ski area/resort that has been a client of Snow Operating for the last few years. It changes the approach to newbies, starting from when have their lift ticket and rental form in hand, and are walking towards the rental section. Killington was an early adopter. My home hill started working with Snow Operating last season. The difference was very noticeable in the experience for never-ever families.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
What do you know of Snow Operating?

I've never heard of it. Googling it, I see "terrain based learning", which is the catchphrase for the revamped lessons at Greek this year. I guess we just started 3-4 years too early for it to have reached our area.

marzNC

Angel Diva
New perspectives are good. There hasn't been that much general discussion in the Family Skiing section. My guess is that there are plenty of lurkers who haven't put as much thought into the issues. Especially if they are busy with their own kids and can only stop in to read infrequently.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've never heard of it. Googling it, I see "terrain based learning", which is the catchphrase for the revamped lessons at Greek this year. I guess we just started 3-4 years too early for it to have reached our area.
Terrain Based Learning is actually trademarked by Snow Operating. So it's more than a catchphrase. They have worked together with PSIA, so even ski areas that don't hire Snow Operating as a consultant can benefit from the concepts.

Like any new approach to teaching, there are early adopters and there are those who think it's hogwash. A couple of the ski areas in the southeast were early adopters. One was Snowshoe, which is a full-blown ski resort. The other was Cataloochee, a ski area with a history of serving the local community for almost 50 years. It was pretty fascinating to observe how and what changed. My home mountain, Massanutten, didn't consult with Snow Operating but did experiment with features in the teaching area for a season or two. The real changes in the entire process for newbies and first-time visitors didn't happen until last season and were far more significant.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Thanks for the thoughtful engagement. Part of the reason I’m asking these questions is because I want to propagate the change I would want. For example, after my observations this year, I reached out to my friends who parent the kids my 9 yo daughter is friends with ... and suggested that they have 1-2 years to get their kids skiing so that they can ENJOY ski club in middle school. Knowing these girls, showing up the first day and having some of the experiences I’ve seen would be devastating to their appreciation for the sport.

My dear friend grew up skiing and now snowboards... I would have LOVED this advice from her much earlier, but she didn’t know to give it because she’s an expert and didn’t really think it was needed. In my teaching experience, experts can have a hard time knowing that newbies even need specific information because newbies don’t know what they don’t know and experts don’t even always know what they know! (That’s kind of the reason that some of the guidance on here is so astounding, because there are experts who can break it down for novices without being like the parent on the slope yelling “TURN!” without any actual information being transmitted...)

For me, it’s clear that introducing skiing at 11/12/13 can be really challenging because kids have started tuning out the advice they get from their parents. So, lessons are key. But lessons with little kids won’t work, b/c adolescents really refuse to be classified as “kids”. As someone who is enjoying the sport but seeing both what I’m learning and what I don’t know, it feels natural to “evangelize” early preparation for kids who want to ski for social reasons down the line.

So, that’s what parents can do. FWIW, I coach my son’s soccer team and I have coached my daughter’s team as well. Yes, parents can send their kids to soccer with a water bottle and shin guards... usually at the age of 5. VERY few children can wreak much havoc at that age with soccer equipment. For any kids who are making poor choices, the coaches will have conversations with the parents... it’s just different because they’re always immediately under our supervision, and they grow up learning when they’re ripe for instruction. I’ve also had conversations with parents who are not effectively supporting their kids’ growth (i.e., shutting up with their individual sideline coaching and focusing on cheering for all the kids).

I now coach 12 year old boys. The approach I take with them, vs when some of those same boys were 5 and 6? Totally different. Parents are largely irrelevant at this point. For example, one day, the only way I could get them to understand that they needed to buckle down was to race them around the field. (I came in about 5th, but thank goodness I didn’t hurt myself...omg, do not recommend). My son: horrified. The others? grudging respect and a little fear. LOL.

It’s just so much easier to teach younger kids than middle schoolers. (I have some hilarious stories, though, so I do kind of love it) ...

I know there’s always hand wringing about the industry and future growth. More child-friendly and targeted programs would be a fantastic way to build that pipeline. Most kid programs seem really affordable, but are publicized poorly. How much money would resorts make if they did more family friendly learn-to-ski programs - priced them well and caught the revenue on the backside? What if they partnered with science museums and did experiential learning around physics and the environment? I just feel like there are a lot of interesting and fruitful opportunities. If anyone has any connections or power in any of these spaces...these are ideas you can use! PLEASE! It will be really good for the sport. :smile:

Sorry for the long stream of consciousness. Back to the grind. ;)

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
I would have LOVED this advice from her much earlier, but she didn’t know to give it because she’s an expert and didn’t really think it was needed. In my teaching experience, experts can have a hard time knowing that newbies even need specific information because newbies don’t know what they don’t know and experts don’t even always know what they know! )

Preach!

It's why TAs and peer tutors can be so helpful in school--they're further advanced than the students but still remember what they didn't know a year or three ago.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the thoughtful engagement. Part of the reason I’m asking these questions is because I want to propagate the change I would want. For example, after my observations this year, I reached out to my friends who parent the kids my 9 yo daughter is friends with ... and suggested that they have 1-2 years to get their kids skiing so that they can ENJOY ski club in middle school. Knowing these girls, showing up the first day and having some of the experiences I’ve seen would be devastating to their appreciation for the sport.
For me, it’s clear that introducing skiing at 11/12/13 can be really challenging because kids have started tuning out the advice they get from their parents. So, lessons are key. But lessons with little kids won’t work, b/c adolescents really refuse to be classified as “kids”. As someone who is enjoying the sport but seeing both what I’m learning and what I don’t know, it feels natural to “evangelize” early preparation for kids who want to ski for social reasons down the line.
I ran into similar issues about what age to take adoptees back to China. I led three trips for different friends who also adopted from China around 2001. The first trip the girls were 5-6, just finished Kindergarten. The second the girls were 8-13. The third the girls were 11-12. These were small groups that included very involved parents. The younger girls got plenty out of the trip, but the parents were pretty tired the entire time. During the second trip the teens were far less engaged when not actively at an activity. It was impossible to get them interested in just going for a walk outside the hotel in the evening after dinner. They wanted to spend time on a computer talking to friends at home. The optimal ages for the family as a whole was ages 8-10.

My dear friend grew up skiing and now snowboards... I would have LOVED this advice from her much earlier, but she didn’t know to give it because she’s an expert and didn’t really think it was needed. In my teaching experience, experts can have a hard time knowing that newbies even need specific information because newbies don’t know what they don’t know and experts don’t even always know what they know! (That’s kind of the reason that some of the guidance on here is so astounding, because there are experts who can break it down for novices without being like the parent on the slope yelling “TURN!” without any actual information being transmitted...)
Yep, the Stages of Learning makes a difference.

1) Don't know what you don't know
2) Know what you don't know
3) Know what you know
4) Don't know what you know

I had the advantage of being at Stage 2 when I started my daughter on skis at age 4 when it came to her learning technique. I was at Stage 1 for my own skiing for quite a few years after that except for a few survival skills learned in middle school. Didn't start reading ski forums until she was about 7 and we started skiing beyond our home hill.

We tried to get a few of my daughter's friends interested in skiing when she was 7-10. But it was too hard since they could only go a couple holiday weekends a season (4 hour drive one-way in the southeast). I didn't know any parents who skied and had kids the right age. My DD was a good skier by then, but a very social skier quite willing to ski blues with a friend at our home hill. She would ski all day long with a friend. If the only company she had was me, we would ski in the morning but often went off to do something else after lunch. Even if snow conditions were pretty good.

For skiing, the optimal age to start seems to be ages 6-8. Ski school normally starts at age 4. Kindergarten starts around age 5. I think a young kid with parents who don't ski isn't going to get enough mileage to really have enough fun to become fully engaged.

I had a chance to ski with an 11yo girl at my home hill this season She's the daughter of a good friend who is a retired middle school teacher and a single mom who grew up skiing in the midwest but doesn't ski due to very bad knees. Tween did ski school starting at age 7 during a few holiday weekends, but only had about 10 days on snow before this season. Since group lessons weren't available this season, we just skied together. I know enough now to provide tips to an advanced beginner who's had lessons. It was clear with just a few reminders about hand placement and finishing turns (following me), that she was more than ready for the harder blue and even black trails. She had a ball and so did I. Definitely a success story for starting with good lessons before age 10.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna