• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Always a newbie

SeaCurlz

Certified Ski Diva
I’m feeling a bit discouraged with my skiing. I’ve been 3 times and tried snowboarding once as well. I finally decided to commit to skiing. I felt so excited that today I really feel confident in my turns. I struggled with completing my turns in the beginning. Today I had them down and could stop when needed. Go up to a longer run and it was a bit more steep and I literally froze and got in my head. Made it a long miserable ride down. Went to another one not so steep and did fine. Both were green runs. I so badly want to get to a point where I can enjoy a day without getting freaked out I’m going to plow into a tree. Will I eventually feel more comfortable?

newboots

Angel Diva
Lessons, absolutely. While they are an added expense, they will help you make skiing fun much sooner!

It’s not a sport you can pick up in 3 days. Green runs are perfect for you! Stick with the easier ones until you have practiced them a LOT, and then try something harder with an instructor or, at least, a friend.

Keep skiing, have some lessons, and you will love it like we do!

SeaCurlz

Certified Ski Diva
I have taken lessons each trip. I’m sorry what I meant is 3 separate ski trips from 4-7 days of skiing each but it’s only a few times a year. I just got so frustrated today when I thought I was doing a little better. I would love to try a week training.

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember when I was first learning to ski about 5 years ago and felt the same way. Thought I got the hang of things and went to the green on top of mountain...started out fine, but then there was a steeper pitch. Was so scared and wondered how could this be a green trail?? Of course everyone else seemed to just zoom through it... no hesitation, no issues. Was I the only one that was terrified? I somehow made it down. Probably fell a couple times. So you are not alone going through these feelings.

Skiing can make you a little uncomforble. To progress you have to try things that seem scary, but that is what also makes it fun.

Eventually you will be the one cruising without any worries and that’s the best feeling! Do the easy trails until you feel really really comfortable on them.

One thing that helped me was finding an easy green that had a very small steepish area followed by completely flat terrain. I kept doing that over and over and learned that even though I sped up I would be able to stop naturally. So I felt safe on the steeper area and could play around on it and learned to ski it better.

You will improve and it will feel wonderful, just keep at it!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’d say you do need mileage to get better. You cannot expect much to happen after going just a few times a year. Just take your time to enjoy the easy green before pushing yourself for anything steeper. You are not going to get better by skiing terrains that is too difficult for you when you are still trying to learn the sport. But don’t give up - you will eventually improve and be able to enjoy the mountain!

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m feeling a bit discouraged with my skiing. I’ve been 3 times and tried snowboarding once as well. I finally decided to commit to skiing. I felt so excited that today I really feel confident in my turns. I struggled with completing my turns in the beginning. Today I had them down and could stop when needed. Go up to a longer run and it was a bit more steep and I literally froze and got in my head. Made it a long miserable ride down. Went to another one not so steep and did fine. Both were green runs. I so badly want to get to a point where I can enjoy a day without getting freaked out I’m going to plow into a tree. Will I eventually feel more comfortable?
I have taken lessons each trip. I’m sorry what I meant is 3 separate ski trips from 4-7 days of skiing each but it’s only a few times a year. I just got so frustrated today when I thought I was doing a little better. I would love to try a week training.
The initial stage can be frustrating when you are trying to make the most of a relatively short window of opportunity. What region were you skiing in? What temperature? Trail ratings are only relatively to a given mountain. A green in New England can be quite different than one in the mid-Atlantic or in the Rockies. As you may read in a few recent threads, when it gets warm (40s, 50s) then it can get hard to turn in soft snow that's been pushed around to form clumps of snow on green/blue trails.

As for lessons for a week, have you noticed these threads about a Taos Ski Week? There are Ski Weeks for all ability levels, from beginner to advanced/expert.

Taos ski week 1/14/18 - 1/19/18: Intermediate's Trip Report

TR Taos Ski Week Jan. 20-25, 2019 with intermediate Divas

newboots

Angel Diva
Sorry I misunderstood your ski days. It is frustrating. I began skiing 3 years ago, and I ski often. I’ve only felt confident this year, after taking more lessons. I've never been athletic and I’m a late bloomer (65 now), so it comes more quickly to others.

I have no idea where you live, but if it’s possible, try occasional skiing on the weekends at a small local mountain. I ran the easy run at my little home mountain over and over, and it helped me work on the basics. This year I did the WOW workshop at Suicide Six (Woodstock, VT) and worked all day on getting forward. It has made all the difference.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SeaCurlz, where you are, in terms of your progression, is completely normal; it's where everyone starts. The fear will go away as you develop the skills to handle steeper pitches with control, but that takes time and practice.

If you can get on snow more often, that will help a ton. YouTube videos can be fun and helpful, too. Sometimes just rambling around watching videos, you'll strike on some little thing that really works for you or is explained in a way that suddenly clicks. I especially like Josh Foster's series.

I've been skiing for almost four years now and I still get frustrated at times. Today for some reason I was paying attention to where I started shifting my weight to the downhill ski. I realized I wasn't doing it as early as I probably should, so I worked on it and wow, so much more control and fun in the turns. So time on snow is important, yes, but also intentional time on snow; maybe pick something that you and your instructor worked on and practice it over and over until it's habit.

Good luck!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI-
Don't be too hard on yourself, sounds like you are very athletic, speed control and stopping at early stages is most important. Your feelings and reactions are normal progression, sometimes even after skiing a long time you'll put your skis/boots on everything feels like crap... hang in there, you're learning and doing well. Fear is a normal part of skiing even for seasoned skiers looking down a steep trail can take your breathe away. Breathe, uncurl those toes, get your side slip down (falling leaf drill). Side slip til you get to where you want to make that first turn.

Skiing is mostly muscle memory, the mental part is harder.. someday it's 99% mental and 1% physical.. those days the 'brown' chair may be where to go.. (The pub chair) Stick with it, it will get better, keep taking lessons they do help but being 'over lessoned' can put too much 'stuff' in your brain.
Not sure where you live but if you find an instructor you 'click' with, it's worth working with them!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! I agree with all of the previous responses. You WILL get the hang of it. The fact that you found this forum shows that you're serious and determined to discover the joys of skiing. And everyone will be here to encourage you. :tongue:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing is mostly muscle memory, the mental part is harder.. someday it's 99% mental and 1% physical.. those days the 'brown' chair may be where to go.. (The pub chair) Stick with it, it will get better, keep taking lessons they do help but being 'over lessoned' can put too much 'stuff' in your brain.

Brown chair, Lol! I'm a fan of that strategy, btw.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think you've gotten great advice so far. I would just add try as best you can to just have fun with it. I know telling someone to not be frustrated is pretty useless, but it sounds like you are right at where anyone could expect to be with only three ski trips under their belt.

FYI even very advanced skiers struggle to complete their turns.

SeaCurlz

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in Whistler and we have 2 more full days of skiing. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I'm going to work on my turns more and speed control. My daughter who is 8 finished ski school and can do a green run no problem...so I need to show her I can do it LOL Have a great day Ski Divas!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna